PeteOpenGL2Tweak - Tweaker for PeteOpenGL2 plugin w/ GTE Accuracy Hack!

Discussion in 'PSX Plugin Questions & Troubleshooting' started by tapeq, Mar 26, 2014.

1. TheDimensioner

TheDimensioner New Member

@svperstarr If you're using this Tweak's xBRZ option, you're probably running into a common issue it has with FMVs, or high resolution screens, like the Konami and KCET logos in Silent Hill. Try lowering your xBRZ setting in gpuPeteOpenGL2Tweak.ini (x3 is usually enough for good quality x performance). If that doesn't help, there's the 4GB patch (better explained on this post: http://ngemu.com/threads/pcsxr-pgxp.186369/page-14#post-2538201).

Going to that post/thread, you'll be presented to PGXP, currently the best way to experience PSX games. Try it out!
  2. svperstarr

svperstarr New Member

Thank you for the quick reply. I am moving over to the other thread. I haven't touched PS emulation in over 10 years so I really wish there were some guides specific to Silent Hill with some screen shots of the best settings. It is literally the only PS game I wanna play lol
  3. shinra358

shinra358 Member

xbrz by itself looks like ass. BUT, when combined with 4xmsal, it looks AMAZING. Street Fighter Alpha 3 looks like KoF 94 Rebout now! I will be using this xbrz option with 4xmsal for my current epsxe setup (along with increased int rez of course) :)
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    guest.r likes this.
  4. shinra358

shinra358 Member

5. iCatButler

iCatButler New Member

I'm sure @tapeq can correct me if I'm wrong.

xBRz upscaling is done buy multiple threads in parallel, Batch Size determines how many texels each thread processes at once. Decreasing this might improve parallelism by using more threads, particularly on small textures, but may hurt the efficiency of each thread. So it's more about hitting the right balance than just increasing/reducing to improve performance.

To avoid rescaling each texture every time it is copied the scaler can store and retrieve recently used textures. Texture Cache Size dictates how many textures are stored in this way before the oldest is discarded. Increasing this can improve performance by preventing textures being processed multiple times but it can cause the emulator to run out of memory and crash, in particular FMV sequences with a high level of xBRz as each frame is a large unique texture.
    tapeq likes this.
  6. shinra358

shinra358 Member

So, as an estimate, looking at my specs in my sig, what is a good setting for those to be in as well as how many threads should I indicate it to use?
    I'm currently having trouble with some games even if I put the int rez to 2/3 and xbrz to 2 or 3. Seems like there is always a slowdown somewhere. Without xbrz on, I have the rez at 4/5 with no slowdowns at all. I'm trying to get to 4/5 rez with 6xbrz on. Or at least 4/5 rez without 2xbrz slowing me down. With 6 cores, and 12 threads on my cpu, what should I set the threads to in the plugin as well?
  7. tapeq

tapeq Member

You will get always slowdowns. Texture scaling is done at OpenGL level in reality and caching is poor, better will be to re-implement it to emulation level, to Texture WIndow Cache so all FBE slowdowns will be gone but is little hard without source code.

PS: You are running high clocked CPU so try increasing BatchSize. Also recommended is to patch emulator executable to increase maximum memory for 32bit process to 4GB (from 2GB).
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  8. guest.r

guest.r Member

I have tried this nice combo and suggest some improvements over the 4xMSAL so the picture is a bit clearer. Hope it's likeable. :)
    (comes in two variations, standard and with NTSC colors)

Attached Files:

natr0n likes this.
  9. shinra358

shinra358 Member

@I see. I'll try that tapeq. what particular batch size amount would you recommend for those specs so that I coudl start from there after I patch the executable?

@guest.r: ooooh, cool. I'll give this a try right now ^-^
    Edit: btw, do the levels work this time on your new modification or do levels 1-4 still equal 1?
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  10. guest.r

guest.r Member

The shader levels are not implemented but you can tinker the offset variables in the vertex and fragment shader (like from 0.5 - sharp to 1.0 - original MSaL; and the NTSC variable if you like more or less NTSC colors).
  11. shinra358

shinra358 Member

Just realized that the 'extended + smooth sprites' texture filtering option was improved upon. Xenogear sprites no longer look weird and there are no black lines on Madeen's magic in FFIX. So along with this, the modded shader of 4xMSaL with the default settings looks great! Any way you can port that 4xMSaL shader to Snes9x and/or Mame?

I changed Batchsize to 3072 and maxslices count to 9. And TextureCacheSize = 384. Can't really tell the impact but I hope I didn't use more threads than I'm supposed to. I don't know how many threads in the emu that other parts of it use. So I hope certain parts aren't fighting with other parts for the same threads. Shrugs.
  12. guest.r

guest.r Member

I think i found a good solution for Snes9x-1.53 (it can use libretro shaders). Sure you give it a try. The aa-shader 4.o is an advanced iteration of 4xMSaL and should do ok anti aliasing xBRZ sprites. You can manage the sharpness through this line:

Code:
        float2 size    = 6.0*IN.texture_size/INTERNAL_RES; // 4.0* = smooth, 8.0* = sharp; set this multiplier to adjust sharpness
    Just use an advanced editor like Notepad++.
    (Note, the shader is not for Pete's OGL2 plugin, but for Snes9x).

Attached Files:

gustavo007 likes this.
  13. shinra358

shinra358 Member

[​IMG]

This gives me an error when I used it. I already had it in the libretro common shaders in snes9x, I replaced the file and got this error and for some reason gives me an error about my fingerprint reader too @.@. But I think the fingerprint reader error is a result of the new windows update and a conflict with my current snes9x so don't worry about that.

[​IMG]

I also use this shader already for scanlines outside of retroarch (normal snes9x emu). I didn't make this, I just named it that to differentiate from the other scanline shaders. It was made for me as a request. Think you could merge them so that I could use both scanlines and the AA shader?:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    gustavo007 likes this.
  14. guest.r

guest.r Member

This shader is quite specific, but i was able to merge some combinations (thanks to the meta shader support contributors). I can report the aa shader works well with an AMD setup. It eludes my imagination how to fix it quickly so i added some combos with DDT (to use with no cpu scaling) and 4xsoft (does a good sprite anti aliasing job, replaces the non working aa shader). I guess the last setup should work well with nVidia cards. If you want a sharper image you can use a higher scaling factor, IMO works best 3x or 4x xBRZ.
    Edit: small fix

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    gustavo007 and shinra358 like this.
  15. shinra358

shinra358 Member

Excellent. Thanks! Can't really tell the difference between DDT and 4xsoft but they both look great. But yeah, the non-working aa shader is still non-working. I'm using 6xbrz with this along with some reshade gaussian haze and a tiny bit of bloom. Punchout looks like some great vector art. Doesn't look play dohy or anything. Good work.

I'm also loving the ntsc color shader mod as well for epsxe with the use of xbrz. Looks amazing. Couldn't really tell which looked better, the normal colored one, or the ntsc color one but I'm constantly switching between both. I'll probably end up using the ntsc color combo.
  16. Mr.Henky

Mr.Henky Member

So I tried v2.4 with ePSXe v2.0.5 and for some reason GTE Accuracy Hack doesn't work. Why?
  17. wea0

wea0 New Member

Do we have some way to avoid applying xBRZ to prerendered backgrounds and FMVs (i.e., 2D objects) but still keep it for other textures that end up on 3D models?
  18. Aeroacex01

Aeroacex01 New Member

Is it possible to compile and use this tweak on the Linux version of ePSXe 2.0.5 with Pete's XGL 2.9 plugin?
  19. LuismaSp89

LuismaSp89 New Member

I use Batchsize=3072 and maxslices count to 8, but i´ll try to set it to 9 like you, i´m actually playing at tomb raider 2, and in some scenarios the fps are a pain in the ass xD.

About TextureCacheSize, i tried it to set to 384, but there are crashes and slowdowns in many games, i don´t know if this is for running out of power with my graphics card or what. With 256 it works right for me.
  20. Pleiades7

Pleiades7 New Member

Help me out here...

If I set the following at...

[ResHack]
    #Internal resolution X multiplier, recommended max: 8
    MulX = 8
    #Internal resolution Y multiplier, recommended max: 12
    MulY = 16

Then what do I set the plugin values in the plug in gui itself?

Do I leave the Internal X resolution and the Internal Y resolution at 0? Or do I set them at 2(very high) + 3(ultra high)?

I know, noob question. But one that isn't spelled out for us dummies here. Thanx for your time everyone!