Poll, AMD or Intel?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by felinusz, Nov 29, 2002.

?

AMD or Intel?

Poll closed Dec 4, 2002.
  1. AMD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Intel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. felinusz

felinusz overclocking magus

seriously now, WITHOUT factoring in brand loyalty
    which brand name do you think gives the BEST PERFORMANCE FOR THE PRICE?

(emphasis on "for the price")

and by performance I mean FOR GAMING PURPOSES...

looking forward to the results...
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. _E_

_E_ <font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>

Isnt there enough threads out of this? We compared AMD vs Intel many times, I even have headache trying to discuss this issue. Anyways, I still prefer AMD for thier processors are cheaper and competitive...
  4. felinusz

felinusz overclocking magus

heh, I know it is a overused poll, but most are straight out "which is better"... im asking you to factor in price...

makes a big difference...
  5. Craig Venom

Craig Venom Author Of OverDrive

amd has the most powerful operation based on it's 3dnow and hyper tranport
  6. campi

campi Sa.Te.BoLi.RaCkU.ba

AMD all the if you're not into overclocking but AMDs are better in every aspect :)
  7. Hanamichi

Hanamichi Crotally Tazy

I clicked the wrong vote. Would an admin please correct this?:eek:
    I wanted to vote for AMD. They simply offer more bang for buck, but it would be a tough choice for me as well as Intel offers more reliability.
  8. hoyoyo80

hoyoyo80 New Member

I have both p4 and AMD system...i don't know why but i feel that my p4 system is more stable since i bought it the system only "hang" once:),but i don't think it is the processor...
  9. Gamer1

Gamer1 Anti-Brand Loyalist

When computers "hang" its usually the ram.

Its definitely AMD, on both price and performance category, and even gaming. On reliability... they are both the same from my expierience.

Its just that AMD has really crappy marketing... I never saw an AMD ever advertised in the tv before...
  10. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Touka <3 Staff Member

i have to agree AMD is the best
  11. Ninjaa

Ninjaa New Member

Intel. They have really made a comeback recently, and I would say that they are about as powerful as an AMD dollar for dollar if you factor in overclocking capability.

The only drawback is the memory price, which costs more in the case of Intel, and is why I am running an Athlon XP.
  12. Gamer1

My stance on overclocking is still the same... its still a big "no" from me.

right now i'm currently am looking at a soyo dragon kt400 ddr 333 socket a, and an athlon 2000+ or 2600+ (i'm still wieghing the price/ performance ratio)
  13. (F)ragnarok(F)

(F)ragnarok(F) Trying to stay alive

i'll vote amd since all i hear about it is that its better than intel. n whats overclocking?
  14. Hanamichi

Hanamichi Crotally Tazy

You have a sheep. You milk it like you would a cow. That's overclocking. :p
    Basically you push your whole system and make it faster while risking it breaking down on you. This however makes the system generate more heat and is especially true of CPU's.
  15. Drack

Drack New Member

Overclocking is when you run a proccessor faster than the speed that it came at from the factory.

I like Intel, it seems now that the more high-end processors from them are cheaper than AMD's offerings. I guess if you are looking at the low end AMD is a better deal. None of their processors have failed me in the past, except the RDRAM on my mobo is a pain in the ass, but now you can buy SDRAM P4 mobos, so thats not an issue.
  16. Gamer1

SDRAM p4s.... ouch.... that must be a huge bottleneck ;). you mean DDR right? or p4's that uses DIMM, right?

>>it seems now that the more high-end processors from them are cheaper than AMD's offerings.

yea, it seems, but its not.
  17. Demigod

Demigod これはバタスです Moderator

What do you mean? Intel CPUs can use SDRAM and DDR RAM, just like the Athlons.

AMD is of course the clear winner if you just go by the stock speed. Athlon XP 2100+ and under are within value range (filling in for the Duron line). AMD will be moving back to the value market anyways so the prices would make sense. However, the price difference between Intel and AMD's high-end CPUs aren't that different. Prices of the Athlon XP 2400+ and Pentium 4 2.4 are very close.

If you take overclocking into consideration then the Intel CPUs are by far the better choice. Intel CPUs and boards are rock solid and can handle a fair amount of tweaking. Some boards can also lock the PCI and AGP bus so there won't be any incompatibilities with abnormal FSB settings. Most P4s can overclock 20-30% with just the stock HSF and even higher with extra cooling (overclocking is what the Thermaltake heatsinks are for;) ). The top 3DMark2001 scores are achieved by using a P4 @ 4.x Ghz.

For the sake of the poll I chose AMD, simply because they offer more bang for the buck at the stock speeds. You can't go wrong with an Athlon XP 2000+ for $73:). Still, Intel CPUs aren't a bad choice if you're knowledged in overclocking. P4s are designed for high speeds and can run much higher than their stock settings, it's just Intel clocks them well within a "safe" zone.
  18. Ninjaa

Ninjaa New Member

Demigod, I meant to get full functionality out of a P4, you had to have RDRAM. I do know there are P4 boards that take DDR and SDR, but they generally don't function optimally.
  19. Demigod

Demigod これはバタスです Moderator

I dunno, the P4 with DDR333 can perform pretty well. It's faster than dual-channel PC800 RDRAM. When DDR400 CL2 is finalized RDRAM will be competely obslete.

[edit]
    When the Granite Bay and Springdale arrive the problem of memory bandwidth won't be a problem. Granite Bay will support dual-channel DDR266 while Springdale will support dual-channel DDR333. Dual-channel DDR266 offers a 4.2 GB/s bandwidth, a perfect match for the P4 Northwood's own 4.2 GB/s bandwidth while dual-channel DDR333 will offer 5.4 GB/s bandwidth, which fully satiates the bandwidth of the Pentium 4 Prescott.
  20. Ninjaa

Ninjaa New Member

Hey that's good to hear. My next major CPU upgrade will be an Athlon XP 2600+ (highest my MB goes), but after that I guess I will back to my good old Intel CPU.
  21. Gamer1

I don't know what cpu i will get after i biuld my machine. i'm still deciding on whether to get a 2000+ or a 2600+ or even a 2800+ (once the 2800+ gets to $50 or somewhere near that price range)

but... if intel keeps their prices low, and amd drops out... then i'll go to intel.

but... amd stocks recently went to $9 today, and major rumors are saying that amd won't be dropping out of the race after all.

I really don't want a repeat of the pentium 1 days.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2002