Problem Laptop Acer Aspire 4520 cannot switch ON.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by cyclonmaster, Jun 7, 2010.

1. cyclonmaster

cyclonmaster EmuAddict-_-;;

I need help here.

Problem is, my laptop Acer Aspire 4520 cannot switch ON.
    I use AC Adapter (Checked OK) and when I pressed the Power Button, the power light is ON and then it OFF.

I try to changed the RAM slot - unsuccessfull
    try changed to new RAM - unsuccessful
    try changed to new Processor - unsuccessfull
    remove and fitted back CMOS Battery - unsuccessfull

Strange is that when I remove all RAM, HD, Processor and switched it ON. The power light on motherboard remian ON. But when I put back all the component one by one, power light is ON and then it OFF.

What's happen here? Any suggestion?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

Insufficient CPU/GPU cooling (due to dirt, broken fan, etc.) or broken temperature sensor. System automatically turns off if temperature is too high to prevent hardware getting fried.
  4. cyclonmaster

It's not even started yet. Fan is working fine. Everytime I try to ON it, it quickly OFF again.
  5. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

My sister had an Acer that got too hot and had the same problem.

Last thing she did was get her motherboard replaced.
  6. cyclonmaster

I don't think it's heating problem since I replaced new Processor, try to turn it ON, then it sudden OFF immediately without any chance to show something on screen. Any chance that my mobo is the problem? Any guide on how to fix it?

Btw, where did she get new mobo. How much?
  7. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

Apparently I should clarify that the GPU getting too hot is far more likely than the CPU getting too hot on a laptop. Also worthy to note is that the GPU is not replaceable on most models.
  8. Silenus

It's not the processor it's the mobo, at least that's what I think.

She got it trough ebay. something like 150US don't really know.
  9. cyclonmaster

I'm hoping to find any tips/guide on how to repair this motherboard. Any component need to be replace etc.
  10. Silenus

To deal with laptops you have to be very skilled as they are not as easy as desktop parts.

You might have to take the motherboard out and check it troughly to see if something is not fried.
  11. Spyhop

Spyhop New Member

While heat problems are still possible, you should keep in mind that the internet's first response to 90% of computer problems is ".....uh...heat?"

I also don't think this is something you're going to get solved on these boards. If your laptop is under warranty, take it in. If not, it might be worth it to get a bench tech to troubleshoot it and find which part is flaking. They have the spare parts to test.
  12. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

Either way the first thing I'd do after a quick check to the power button would be to apply thermal paste to the GPU and any other chip covered by the heat pipe(s).
    Laptops with ATi/Nvidia GPUs are more prone to overheating than desktops (or even laptops with Intel GFX chips, which I doubt that is the case here). Laptop turning itself off either means overheating, power supply issues or stuck power button (dust?). There aren't any other possibilities remaining... really... unless you believe in metaphysical. :p
  13. bram64

bram64 Member

Have you tried taking out the battery and running it with just the AC adapter?
  14. cyclonmaster

Yes, I already try running with just AC Adapter.

Right now, I had take out the motherboard remove all the other components(processor, RAM, monitor etc) leaving only motherboard. plug in the power and try turn it ON, power light remain ON this time. Now I try with processor inserted, the problem is back again. I think that Processor slot is defective. Any suggestion?
  15. General Plot

General Plot Familiar Face

Funny enough, I'm a repair tech for Acer. I do laptop repairs on warranty units. The power on then instant off problem is actually pretty common in the Aspire lines. Essentially, it's a power regulation issue, and the only fix is indeed a new motherboard. If your laptop is less than a year old, then the fix should be free. Acer charges a flat rate for all labor and prices vary on different motherboards.;)

Edit: In case you needed proof that I am indeed an Acer employee, here's a screenshot from my workstation which has my name on it (anyone on here can tell you it's my real name). Also, a view of my desk showing a couple units I was working on. I even tried PCSX2 on a customer unit (just to see how bad it would be). :p Also, there's a service doc screen shot (I get these with every unit I'm assigned to repair).
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  16. Silenus

So I was right about the mobo. Sorry for you cyclon.

@Plot Might want to remove the pic with the address.

Might bring you problems.
  17. General Plot

I've blocked out customer data, which should be fine.

@cyclon: If you give me the first 10 characters of your serial number, I can get a general idea of the price of a motherboard from our system.
  18. Master_DX

Master_DX The Master of Disguise

Doesn't this make you wonder why Acer has so many problems with their computers, playing on the job *shakes head*. Just kidding around, you know I had to throw that out there.
  19. cyclonmaster

Thanks a lot Plot. My S/N: LXAHS0C013735170412500.
  20. General Plot

Did the lookup for you today and according to our system, stock price on a replacement mainboard is just shy of 100 pounds (96.57). This is just the cost of the board. If you have Acer install it, they charge an additional 50 pounds for what they call C&A (courier and assessment). If you feel comfortable doing the job yourself, you can probably find the board a little cheaper on ebay, etc.. The Acer part number is MB.AHS06.001 and if you want, I can get you the service guide as well. Hope this helps.
  21. cyclonmaster

Thanks a lot :)