Problems running epsxe 2.05 (choppy, tearing)

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by OrbitingCow, Mar 9, 2017.

1. OrbitingCow

OrbitingCow New Member

Edit: SOLVED: Was Nvidia shader cache setting turned to on. It doesn't work right with this emulator. So I just made sure Inspector never turns it on for epsxe. YAY!

Shader cache in general can cause issues in games I guess. I just had it on because Nvidia always defaults it. MEH! I think this has caused stuttering in more than just a couple games! Now the emu runs almost perfectly.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. guest.r

guest.r Member

Maybe there's no quick fix around that, but if you like 4xBRZ i set up a nice combo for the OGL2 plugin, so you can have an alternative choice for some games.

Personally i hope these issues get addressed and a new ePSXe version is around the corner.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  4. dpence

dpence New Member

I can't say it IS your issue.. but I know on my laptop with NVidia older gtx 560m I think or something like that), vsync is terrible.. screen tearing all over the place.. on my desktop with ATI R7 265 it's perfectly fine.. I had also recently purchased gtx 950 for the desktop... I used it about a month and put the r7 back in... waaayyy too many issue with everything on the NVidia card... even firefox would randomly black out the screen in places. My cpu is a i5 2400 and can also say that xBRZ is VERY CPU intensive on the software plugin(GPU Core 2.0.0- hardware is ogl2 core 2.0.0)... resolution @ x4 and any xbzr will cause stutter.. I personally set resolution to x2 and use an external shader for software gpu (recently posted by simoneT).. x4 is overkill on the software plugin
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  5. u3L05 vh9jV

u3L05 vh9jV ...

Win7 without Aero Glass with NVIDIA hardware is total crap.
    You need activate Aero Glass if you have NVIDIA hardware, yes or yes.
  6. u3L05 vh9jV

u3L05 vh9jV ...

No hay peor ciego que el que no quiere ver. (None are more blind than those who refuse to see.)

Windows XP / Vista / 7 have a long history of "choppy, tearing, judder, etc." on basic / classic themes because it disable the window "2D acceleration".

Note: The problem don't is exclusive of NVIDIA, but is much more notorious in his hardware. Because they truly use a 2D acceleration, not a simulated 2D within a 3D.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  7. OrbitingCow

OrbitingCow New Member

SOLVED: Was Nvidia shade cache turned to on setting. Turning to off solves the stuttering. THANK GOD.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  8. u3L05 vh9jV

u3L05 vh9jV ...

Wow, that is new. I didn't know that NVIDIA will use shader cache.
    And apparently AMD too, the problem of @dpence in Xebra can be related to shader cache.

In Linux, MESA to recently activated by default the use of shader cache as well. I don't experienced any errors... yet.
  9. OrbitingCow

OrbitingCow New Member

Nvidia shader cache is always on for most 3D direct games because it massively reduces stuttering. But for whatever reason it was absolutely killing my epsxe emulator. Now it's basically perfect again. I just used Nvidia Inspector to manually make sure epsxe.exe never uses shader cache so I don't have to keep switching the setting on and off.

Maybe it is because Suikoden and lunar have weird engine? I was not experiencing too many issues though with mega man x4. So I really have no idea what was going on. But it was definitely the shader cache in Nvidia control panel.
  10. dpence

dpence New Member

nope not shader cache for me and xebra... both my gtx 950 and the r7 265 run xebra about 15 fps and only on my PC account, on the admin account it runs 100% speed. I have never found anythign different installed that could account for the difference