PS1 Final Fantasy Compilations

Discussion in 'Game/Console Discussion' started by bobrocks95, Oct 24, 2016.

1. bobrocks95

bobrocks95 NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

I've had all three of these (Origins, Chronicles, and Anthology) for a number of years now, but I've never played them.

The main thing I'm curious about is if they're ports or emulated- would the PS1 have even been powerful enough to emulate the SNES? The terms are used interchangeably in any reviews of the time (and usually tied into complaints about loading times).

Beyond that, what do you think about playing these versions as my first playthrough of these games (1, 2, 4, 5, 6)? Are loading times the only downside, or are they emulated and you get some of the usual problems with c. 2000 emulation, like poor/muffled audio, glitches, etc.?

How did you all feel about the PS1 versions?
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Omg, how are you ? haven't seen you in ages!

--------------------------

To be on topic.... i only tested them a long time ago, they looked liked ports (some badly done like origins), most people recommend the SNES version for FF6, though the PS1 had some FMV's. Though personally i'd recommend to look into the DS and PSP versions of this games since they are well respected as well done remakes.
  4. Kellicros

Kellicros retired Contributors

They are ported games, the Playstation versions(at least for 4~6) actually has more accurate translations, uncensored sprites and some bug fixes, I would gladly recommend them over the SNES ones if not for the horrible load times.

On the other hand, the GBA versions are more definitive with even better translation and more bonus features thrown in, albeit with some sprite still censored. These are on the GBA though, so in some way, the graphics/audio might be inferior compared to the other versions.

And if you're not in it for the old school graphics, I would highly recommend the playing FF4 remake on the DS, this is the best version of FF4 for me, with the overhauled graphics and FMV among some other good changes. It has increased difficulty making it sort of a grind fest tho, but it's not impossible to beat. This version has also been ported to IOS/Android and Steam so you might wanna get one of those if you do not already own a DS, I have only played the DS version so I can't say much for the others.

You can read here for more details on each versions of these games:
    http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VI/Version_differences
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Strike105X likes this.
  5. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

^There's a FF IV remake version on Steam ?!? HOW DID I MISS THIS ? I always wanted to play it, but i never felt like buying a NDS for two games (this and OG saga, not to mention i'm not into handhelds), and emulating it didn't felt right since even though there are DS emulator out there i admire i don't like how it feels emulating DS on PC. But this changes everything! Also the FF VI version on the PS1 is the uncensored one ? Damn i always thought it was one of the censored ones, seems like ePSXe/PCSXR will get some love again :p.
    Kellicros likes this.
  6. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

Honestly the best version of FF4 is on the PSP in the form of the Complete Collection.
  7. Kellicros

The IOS/Android versions are ported from the NDS, with the 2nd screen removed and you play it like a conventional FF. Steam version is a port of the mobile versions, with the touch features completely removed and keys mapped to controller or keyboard.

Those games on the SNES are like kids friendly versions, with "PUBS" renamed to "CAFE" and all kind of bullshit. :p Then again, they are what I played when I was very young, and they are actually not too bad.

Ah, I totally forgot about those PSP releases, I don't own any of these games on the PSP so I have no clue.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Strike105X likes this.
  8. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 &-)---|--< Staff Member

The PSP version of FFIV in the Complete Collection contains 3 games from the FFIV world. ;)
  9. Kellicros

Cool stuff, but I have heard that The After Years sucked, so I never bother. Can't say I am not curious tho.

On side note, there is a 3D remake of The After Years released on Android/IOS and ported to Steam as well, I think I am gonna replay the main game and try out the sequel one of these days. :D