PS2 Burning, with Alcohol 120% question

Discussion in 'Game/Console Discussion' started by Bamsmacked, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Bamsmacked

Bamsmacked Oldskool

OK

I want to copy my Way Of The Samurai game... And I'm not sure what to burn it on a DVD or CD. Because the Way of The Samurai media format says its a CD, and not a DVD.

Are all PS2 games on DVD? Or are some of the older games like Way of The Samurai sometimes can be on CD format?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. redlofredlof

redlofredlof troubleshooter Award Winner!

Backup's will run only if you have a mod chip on ps2. What kind of disc is the orignal one a dvd or a cd? copy to the same format.
  4. Bamsmacked

Bamsmacked Oldskool

Its says CD format...

Would I burn it in PS2 format with Alcohol still?

My playstation 2 is modded.
  5. redlofredlof

redlofredlof troubleshooter Award Winner!

yes try to do that, if the original is CD then the backup should be also CD.
  6. Kaizen

Kaizen Qu'ils mangent de la brioche Award Winner!

is the bottom of the disc blue?
  7. Bamsmacked

Bamsmacked Oldskool

Bottom of my disc is clear. In the manual it says its CD format, and its only like 400mbs when I copy to my computer.

When I put a CD in and burn it in Playstation 2 datatype my Alcohol crashes for some reason... And that's the reason why I'm asking about it.
  8. Soul Eater

Soul Eater Grim Reaper

PS2 games are DVD format. Why in the world would anyone use CD format? DVD format. PS1 games are CD format. I had this guy who burnt me some 30 PS2 games. All DVD.

And whoa.. Way of the Samurai?

Have you tried any other games with Alcohol 120? The guy who burnt my games couldn't figure out how to burn PS1 games. I won't be surprised if Alcohol 120 doesn't work with PS1.
  9. Bamsmacked

Bamsmacked Oldskool

I have.. Mostly PS1 games, but I have burnt PS2 games and Way Of The Samurai is the only PS2 game that I've ever had problems with backing up >.>

Apparently lots of PS2 games use CD format... According to wikipedia that is.. And Way Of The Samurai is on the list so I would say its fairly accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_CD-ROM_games
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  10. Soul Eater

Soul Eater Grim Reaper

That list shows a lot of old games. Take Oni for instance. Last I saw that game at Gamestop it was 5 bucks. That was about 3 years ago.

It doesn't surprise me since those games are really small in terms of memory. You see Tekken Tag but not Tekken 4 or 5.
  11. Bamsmacked

Bamsmacked Oldskool

I guess I'll burn it on the Playstation datatype... It has the same exact settings as PS2 datatype and its not crashing... Hopefully it will work, be back later.

;)
  12. Hyuga

Hyuga Calming silence...

Wrong. Some PS2 games are on CD, take Tekken Tag Tournament for example.

@Bamsmacked
    Burn the game on CD if it says it's on CD. As simple as that.
  13. Soul Eater

Soul Eater Grim Reaper

Umm.. he corrected me on that and I pointed out Tekken tag too. What, you didn't read the thread?
  14. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

PS2 games come in both CD and DVD format.

Alcohol 120 reads the TOC, and this determines whether it burns as a dvd or cd. Just make sure the Playstation 2 profile is set.
  15. Exodus

Exodus ...and now they do.

Just don't make a coaster out of trying to burn a CD game onto a DVD (since it spins quieter). I've seen a patch out there that converts them though.
  16. gamefreak94

gamefreak94 Registered Anime Hater Translator Award Winner!

There's a detailed guide on how to deal with the mod chip issue using a freeware called DVD Decryptor:
    EDIT: (Removed the guide:D Read the rules and found out that discussion about mod chips is forbidden) Guess you'll have to work it out on your own Bamsmacked:evil:
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  17. Bamsmacked

Bamsmacked Oldskool

I'm not using a modchip, and I got it to work.

DVD Decrypter has been discontinued, and ImgBurn picked up where it left off. So I think ImgBurn would be better now.
  18. gamefreak94

gamefreak94 Registered Anime Hater Translator Award Winner!

The main reason why DVD Decryptor is still popular is because its free:D But ImgBurn is a lot better.
  19. Shadow Breaker

Shadow Breaker From The Shadow Glaive

20. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

you want to keep the TOC when purning PS(x) games, since having a file in the wrong sector can screw it.
  21. Bamsmacked

Bamsmacked Oldskool

Don't have Nero, and Alcohol would do its job better imo.

I got it to work, apparently I had a few settings turned on that DOESN'T support my drive, but my drive does support them and I've had them working on another programs before... Anyway, a few options checked on is why it was crashing even before the burning processes begun.

They did change a lot of things with it though because I've had problems making backups with it now. It only had DAO/SAO, TAO, and Incremental write settings.