PS2 emulation on PS3

Discussion in 'Emulation News Submissions' started by whypowt, Jan 11, 2012.

1. whypowt

whypowt twentyninetyseven

this is likely old news, but rumours of this eventuating i read on here ages ago, have now been confirmed with TWISTED METAL [ps3] limited editions including a free downloadable version of TWISTED METAL BLACK [a PS2 game] on 14/2/12.

edit: i just realised this may actually be a remade/upscaled version of the game [like Gods of War by same devs] rather than an emulated version? ...not that i actually care, just curious to what sony is up to.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

Change of plans apparently. There's no money in making old games available for purchase or play on PS3.

Studios are instead opting out for "HD remakes" sold for a higher price, or oldies thrown in as downloadable titles (little to no extra development/adaptation costs). Makes sense, given the limits they worked with during development. Just throw those away, maybe replace your source materials with sharper ones, and you can already recompile an HD-ready build.
  4. whypowt

well looky what we have here:

1. 2 ps3 updates in 2 weeks
    2. 20+ ps2 games released on psn shortly after

so a ps2 emulation HAS been made, but appears for psn only [no ps2 discs it seems] hence why sony will only make/not loose money from it. :evil: yes, roll up and buy all ur games again [like vinyl-tapes-cd-digital] but the list is pretty *****ty so far...

i guess this is similar to the xbox emu that patches games to run on windows, rather than run them in an emu program.
  5. drhycodan

drhycodan New Member

No PS3 cannot emulate the PS2. All the HD remakes are ports of PS2 titles. It does however fully emulate the PSone.
  6. Bill_gates

Bill_gates Linux's worst nightmare..

if you wanna play ps2 games on the ps3 get the ps3 model that supported ps2 games on the hardware level.
  7. drhycodan

drhycodan New Member

Too bad the 60gb PS3's are prone to the yellow light of death. The only way to play PS2 games is to just buy a PS2 or get the fastest six-core core i7 and run it with pcsx2 in software mode. All of you need to wake up and stop dreaming. The PS3 is nowhere near powerful enough to emulate the PS2 in full software, not even the i7 3960x is fast enough to run every PS2 game in full software mode.
  8. Silent Warrior

Silent Warrior New Member

... Soooo, we emulate PS2 using hardware rendering instead of software rendering? *Poke*
  9. whypowt

dreaming of ps2 on ps3? give me a break, i'm running wipeout fusion/pulse on a core2 duo at 3x/2x native reso [looks WAY better than console] all be it at 30/35fps [i frame limit it to that anyway as those 2 games are too fast/jerky compared to previous releases, i can run fullspeed if i decrease quality tho] i actually LOVE those games now, wheras on a ps2 i hated them for being so jerky.

actually, after playing them on my pc, wipeout HD ps3 has lost it's edge now - it's no way near as smooth as fusion at 30fps. being able to control the speed and controller response to my preference is what emu'ing is all about - stuff the devs forcing how i should play their game.

i don't recall seeing anything about this latest crop of ps2 games being 'HD' if so, i'd think they'd mention it to upsell them, so maybe they're just SD remakes, but who is doing this and why? the sudden splurge of releases suggests an advance on sony's part, either via a ps3 software update, or a 3rd-party company hired to make remakes.

as for the ps1 being 'fully emulated' on ps3, it doesn't support negcon or gungon controllers as far as i know. [and it looks worse than a dogs breakfast - i'll stick with epsxe for now i think]
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  10. drhycodan

drhycodan New Member

Hardware rendering isn't really emulating the PS2's GS at a low level and has a bunch of graphics glitches while software rendering actually tries to emulate the PS2's GS and makes it look much more accurate and true to the PS2 at the cost of a faster CPU.
  11. Anatasia

Anatasia 越南にて

buy a Cobra dongle :))
  12. Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk New Member

Didn't early PS3s have backwards compatibility via emulation, after they removed the ee+gs hardware?
  13. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Touka <3 Staff Member

actually the ps3 firmware still has the old ps2 emulator when they introduced it for the fat 80GB ps3s. A option to enable it does exists in the recovery menu if u have a ps3 that is 3.55 and below. It does work, but slow as hell.

From what I see sony probably made a new ps2 emulator on ps3 thats why those current crop of ps2 games on psn run so well. It could be something entirely different too, but I am just speculating.
  14. whypowt

i agree with this at least: but the only 'glitch' i noticed was the sun flare absence bug, and it's position if work-arounded in wipeout fusion, on some levels this is a bonus [no screen glare] and i'd rather no sun than blocky graphics, hi-res is where it's at, i have successfully 'upgraded' that game at little cost.

it has gone from being my 'least fave' in the series to my '2nd best' thanks to pcsx2.
  15. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

I'm glad I have a PS2 with a 2 year warranty.

Hopefully by then I'll be able to do PS2 emulation on my PC.
  16. Xblade

Xblade Drowning in a red state.

Imagine how easy it would be to just port games without making any optimization's.
  17. drhycodan

drhycodan New Member

It's not about what you can do to try to overlook the issue or hide it, it's about playing the game it was meant to play and look by the developers. If you're using hardware mode, you're defeating that purpose.
  18. Bill_gates

Bill_gates Linux's worst nightmare..

If only we had as many emu programmers as we did "emu purists" :lol:
  19. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

Excuse me, but why play emulation if you want to play it as its meant to be played? If gamers feel that way, buy a PS2.
  20. xZabuzax

xZabuzax Member

I rather play my ps2 games with higher resolution just because it looks better, even if my pc can handle software mode perfectly i will still use hardware mode.

The only game where i might try using software (considering my pc is fast enough) is in Okami, since the post-processing effect is better in software mode.
  21. whypowt

yeh, i always hated the ps2 lo-res/jagginess why would i want to emu that? by emu'ing at hi-res it's now a worthy gaming platform, i'm now seeing games the same way they appear on some boxshots - probably taken off the hi-end PC's that actually coded the games. if the software has the capabilty of hi-res why not use it? it was only the hardware limitations of the time holding it back, now we can see the original artists true vision as the masterpieces they are. it's the games that matter - not the crappy console.

upgrading the graphics is re-vitalizing and future-proofing the classics, the console itself will be obsolete.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012