psxfin failed to find a valid mode

Discussion in 'pSX Discussion' started by danhu21, Feb 2, 2009.

1. danhu21

danhu21 New Member

everytime i try to boot up my psxfin emulator it keeps giving me this message
    "failed to find a valid mode (perhaps you need to switch your desktop to 32 bit mode)" then it says "failed to initialise d3d device" i have already put the d3dx9_26.dll file in the emulator folder and my computer is already in 32 bit mode
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

have you read what is mentioned about this in the FAQ?
  4. danhu21

danhu21 New Member

yeah it didn't mention any of that at all i have also installed directx and my graphics card is a Nividia geforce 6150 Le i was running the exact same emulator on my computer before i wiped the hard drive and i am not to sure whats wrong this time
  5. fireblaster_lyz

fireblaster_lyz <font color="#FFFF00">A Blast from the Past... Junior Contributor

WTF? oO
    Try using Ctrl+F.

According to Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. I'm getting an error message about a missing d3dx9_26.dll... what does that mean?
    A. That means you a file from the DirectX 9.0c June 2005 update. Try getting it from here or here. You simply have to place the file into the same directory as psxfin.exe, and it should be fine.
  6. danhu21

danhu21 New Member

my psxfin emulator after giving me those error messages it asks me if i want to save a crash dump as well i really can't figure out what is goin on can somebody please help
  7. fireblaster_lyz

fireblaster_lyz <font color="#FFFF00">A Blast from the Past... Junior Contributor

A screenshot might help.
  8. danhu21

danhu21 New Member

it's not that it won't play the games it's that it won't even start like go to the white screen with the sony logo on it and i can't access any of the options like control configuration or insert cd images
  9. danhu21

danhu21 New Member

again if anybody has a clue as to what the problem is help would be great
  10. DarkSamus

DarkSamus PC game modder Award Winner!

give us a screenshot please to work with!
  11. Gamesoul Master

Gamesoul Master pSX Troubleshooter/Fanboy

This problem indeed isn't addressed in the FAQ. Your first course of action would be to post your PC specs, any special information worth noting (like if you're using modded drivers), any important settings you may have changed in pSX (unlikely to help, but still good to know), and what game(s) you're trying to play (also most likely unneeded in this case, but again, good to know).

Edit: He could give you screenshots, but they'd just be of two warning boxes saying exactly what he said they're saying.

@danhu21: Are you using the same drivers you used before the reformat? When you installed DirectX, did you install the *latest* version of DX9.0c (the one that gets updated every few months)? As I recall from the other tons of times this has come up, usually it's a problem with the graphics card drivers. Usually getting the newest drivers (if yours are out of date) or getting older, more stable drivers (if you have the newest ones) fixes the problem. Sometimes it's as simple as a reboot.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  12. TrueSaiko

TrueSaiko New Member

i have exact same problem ...... i found this thread via a search and no helpful responses so i registered and will post. i ran the psxfin before on different computers fine .... many different computers

PC Specs =

p3 1000
    640 MB Ram
    10GB HD Master (with windows)
    80GB HD Slave
    3dfx voodoo3 16mb Video Card (no idea more specific than that) using windows xp drivers for it

windows xp pro SP2

any help appreciated
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009