R2 Trigger on ps3 controller not working

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by neosback47, Apr 4, 2017.

1. neosback47

neosback47 New Member

Hey guys, just downloaded epsxe after being out of the emu field for a while, anyway thing is I recently bought a ps3 controller and used SCP to install the drivers, the controller works fine for my steam games and other emulators but when I try mapping it to epsxe the R2 trigger isnt recognized, anyone had any similar issues??? (P.S. I am using epsxe 2.0)
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

Try using the plugin lilypad (comes in pcsx2/ can be found elsewhere).
    I don't think the default controller plugin likes assigning analog triggers since they can be mapped all sorts of odd ways.
  4. neosback47

neosback47 New Member

acdbrn2000, just checked out your suggestion,as much as I wanted to refrain from installing more software I guess I had no choice, I looked into lilypad but it seemed that it was better suited for pcsx2 so I ended up installing JoyToKey, which worked as a roundabout by pretty much emulating a keyboard key on my controller for an emulator... (The Irony), anyway even though my problem is technically "solved", I am still open to suggestions as to make my controller work correctly (without any third party software) on epsxe... Thanks in advance, and thanks for the suggestion acdbrn2000 probably wouldn't have that out as easily without your help...
  5. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

Lilypad is not exactly 3rd party software. It is a plugin which is what all of epsxe runs on. The graphics backend is a plugin (and there are others available with different performance on different systems), there are sound plugins, and input plugins. But yes you are right that lilypad is technically made for pcsx2, but that is another plugin based emulator and luckily it works on epsxe too.

That being said joy2key might be a better solution for you if you have other emulators or programs that don't like your PS3 controller. There are a couple of ways to get a PS3 controller to work on various operating systems and each of them seem to have odd issues that can pop up for some users. That is one reason I tend to not use mine on my PC.
  6. dpence

dpence New Member

agreed..for PC it is better to use a pc specific ps3 controller clone since there were never any reliable drivers for a real ps3 controller... somewhere around here I have a controller, looks and feels exactly like the ps2/3 controller, zero configuration issues
  7. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

I use a PSX/PS2 to USB adapter for wired controls (Also not necessarily the most compatible option across all OSes and programs but it works well for me)

For wireless controls I use a generic ps2 style BT controller (Gamestop Red Samurai 2) that has not had any issues besides not being Xinput (xbox 360 standard) and relying on direct input that most modern games don't recognize.
  8. dpence

dpence New Member

Yea I use my wired 360 controller now for about everything... also have a steam controller (Takes some getting used too..lol) and a PC USB n64 style controller for n64 emulation
  9. neosback47

neosback47 New Member

Yeah, that brings about another question actually, I have thinking of buying a usb adapter for a couple of dual shock ps1 controllers, does the emulator recognize them well, and how much of a hassle was the initial setup???
  10. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

On my windows 7 64bit pro emulation PC using lilypad. No trouble at all. I just had to rebind all the controls and save the profile so I coukd switch between wired and wireless or make one player 1 and one player 2.

On my windows 10 tablet..... well 3 months in and I will tell you how big a pain it was if I ever get it to work properly.
  11. neosback47

neosback47 New Member

Lol, keep me updated, XD, and last question I may go ahead a give lilypad a real shot, from what I understood epsxe works natively with lilypad, so if that the case do I just have to drag and drop the plugin into the plugin folder in epsxe???
  12. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

Yep, pretty much. Then you have to go and select it as your input plugin inside of epsxe. I just used the copy from my PCSX2 installation version 1.4.0 from the latest stable release, in case it has been updated or changed.
  13. dpence

dpence New Member

latest lillypad adds a few more checkboxes for some extra features, otherwise it works the same as the stable release
  14. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

I figured as much, but I put it in as much for people in the future as I did since it was the only version I have personally tested doing this.