Random High Detail Images

Discussion in 'PC Games Screenshots' started by Princess Garnet, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Princess Garnet

Princess Garnet From Love and Limerence

Here's some random (as in, just for the sake of it and no real reason) and old high resolution screenshots from a few games. I had them uploaded for a while now so I figured I'd post them. I had a little more, but I deleted all but just a few for each game. I figured I'd still post them for those who may be interested in seeing just a bit of what some of of tomorrows high detail resolutions could bring. They're 1920p, which is close to what 4K would be (sans the fact that these are 4:3 and 4K would be wider obviously).

Crysis

[​IMG]

The menu screens are boring and just to show I didn't simply resize these from a lower resolution.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As insane as it seems, a greater draw distance wouldn't be to waste to justify such a large detail level resolution. If you look across the water in the last image, you can see how there's that "empty space" that could be filled in more (with more trees and the buildings that are usually there). This is usually redundant at lower resolutions.

You'll see the textures also could do with an increase at these resolution levels (not so much for Crysis maybe, but for the others, especially The Sims 3 below).

Command & Conquer 3 Kane's Wrath

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Portal 2 - I couldn't get the game to launch past the menu, and I later found out it wasn't due to the resolution but something else I hadn't figured out. Oh well.

[​IMG]

The Sims 3

[​IMG]

Advanced rendering is actually on, per se; I disabled the option and then edited the file to enable every aspect of it except the bloom since I wanted just that disabled, and "Edge Smoothing" doesn't apply to CAS mode so I just use anti-aliasing in the nVidia control pane so that's actually enabled too.

[​IMG]
    Hard core Rikki likes this.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Tried out a few games on the new monitor. The difference is fantastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Princess Garnet

Not to be a buzz kill, but 1440p isn't 1920p. They were just obscure and theoretical images from games before the times of being able to do such detail levels full justice, but still, I wanted to show them.

I'm glad you're enjoying it though; LCDs have taken their time getting to higher detail levels (CRT had 1200p and 1536p and LCD gave us 1200p wide and 1600p/1440p wide) and seeing 1440p for cheap is nice either way you put it.

If anyone wants to post higher resolution images (no, 1920 x 1080/1200 isn't that high in the way this thread is meant), then I won't stop you I guess, but this was originally meant as more of a concept thing for a very high level detail (1920p) images that are ahead of even the highest of what we have now, and even 1440p/1600p isn't quite the same.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  5. Phil

Phil Site Owner Award Winner!

6. Princess Garnet

That is more akin to what I'm talking about (and then some), although those seem to be images you just found. I made mine!
  7. Phil

Phil Site Owner Award Winner!

Heh ill make some later, something to tend to right now :)
  8. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Somehow I knew you wouldn't be satisfied with 1440p images :p, but I can't see too many ngemu.com members being able to supply high ass resolutions upwards of 1920p from CRT's or wherever.
  9. Princess Garnet

Well, like I said, it was more an obscure concept to show rather than an actual thread for anything that might be considered "high resolution" (which, given the lack of 1440p/1600p, could be argued as anything 1080p and higher, even if 1080p is merely an arguable mainstream at best [which it is, but it still squeaks in as high resolution given the standards]). It wasn't a case of not being satisfied as even 1920 x 1200 would suffice for me. I had those sitting around (as in, already uploaded) from when I tried 1920p and figured I'd put them to us show them. I see why you posted them; everyone who gets a 1440p/1600p monitor wants to show screenshots because they finally realize what higher detail-level is like, and that's the very purpose of this thread, but what Phil posted is a little more of what I was getting at, even if he just grabbed photos from a website.
  10. Gladiator@

Gladiator@ ༼ つ◕◕ ༽つ

Sorry about the games, I know there are not PC games, but you can play them with emulators, so I think they belong here.

[​IMG]
    ^ Agrabah is fascinating. Koko lives there.

[​IMG]
    ^ Abu looks even cuter in HD. I wonder if Koko has an Abu too.

The 2 next images aren't in a resolution as high as the others, but they were taken with the game in the hardest difficulty.

[​IMG]
    ^ Gotta get the grappling hook. You can see in this pic how advanced the AI in this game is.

[​IMG]
    ^ No passwords. Max settings. HD sound. Number one. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^ Widescreen

[​IMG]
    ^ Ultra High Resolution. Hakuna Matata.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  11. Princess Garnet

Those don't really fit.

Perhaps the thread title is too broad.
  12. DarkSamus

DarkSamus PC game modder Award Winner!

I don't see the point to high res if its not widescreen.
    I'm happy to wait until I can get a High Res monitor that's also 3D ready and touch enabled.
  13. Princess Garnet

That's not what this thread is intended to show/be about though. It's about high detail level (something modern displays stopped increasing since CRTs really), not high FOV.

Can I get a staff member to change the title to be more specific? My title was way too broad.
  14. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

The thread title was specific enough, just that only snicko stands a remote chance of playing along so the others choose instead to crash the party. I'm afraid you're just not gonna get much more input than that, none of us can play along aside from perhaps RAP if he gets that new Mac and Phil who can find ultra high-res shots.

I agree with DarkS though, I don't see the point raising the res on old and/or 4:3 content. It looks bad enough at conventional res's, by using a higher res all you're doing is ensuring the unrealistic lines look even more unrealistic. All that stuff was intended for a much lower resolution nevermind 1080P or beyond. Crysis being the obvious exception...but even there when looking at it practically there's no point in upping the res in 4:3, you'd be much better off letterboxing to a Wider FOV since the game is Hor+.
  15. Princess Garnet

The title isn't specific enough. It's very broad. Can I get it changed?

A whole plethora of posts with images of the such is not needed to validate this thread, so why try to talk it down? I posted them to show them. If others want to post their own or comment, sure, but arguing over aspect ratio is across the hall. You're missing the point.
    Whoosh!
  16. DarkSamus

17. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Likewise.
  18. DarkSamus

I've stopped posting screenshots on NGemu anyway, everytime I do PG just complains to me that my Nvidia settings are not to her taste (Sims 3 thread) or I need to OC my CPU because its not good enough for her tastes.

Its my PC and I will buy what I want and configure it HOW I WANT.
  19. koko

koko ! Award Winner!

I don't has one. But I promise when I get a cat, I'll name him Abu :p

I loved the old Disney games :thumb:
  20. Princess Garnet

Okay, now I'm about to ***** in return.
    Take your immature remarks elsewhere.

I posted these for one reason, and one reason only; to merely show a glimpse of what high detail can look like. Besides Phil's images, none of the other postings were about that. Since that point seemingly went over everybody's head, apparently I'm just coming off as gloating!? Don't take it so personally and presume that I am telling you (or others) off with my replies to the posted images; I'm not, it's just that none were of the purpose I made the thread for. Like I said, my thread title was broad, and I apologize, but I explained myself in the postings I've made and requested a thread title change (to no avail even though a staff member is posting here and obviously seeing that request).

For what it's worth, I took a potentially half broken CRT and forced 2560 x 1920 out of curiosity and wanted to grab a few screen captures. That's not an expensive or modern thing to gloat about, and it wasn't even truly usable/viewable like that (the video card didn't have the RAMDAC frequency to drive that resolution/refresh rate combination even at 60Hz so it ran some pseudo 1600 x 1200 resolution physically but it was internally/digitally 2560 x 1920 so it was nothing at all to gloat/brag about); I just wanted to get the images for that one purpose, so can you get off my back!?

I apologize if the thread title was broad, but I explained myself and tried requesting a change, so please don't take it personally. When I told snickothemule that his images didn't fit the thread, he didn't take it personally, because it wasn't personal towards him.
    Excuse me? One thread with a few images is "everywhere"?

Go post them if you want! Make a thread! Nobody is stopping you, and I surely wouldn't complain if you did. You actually have posted many before and did I ever tell you it wasn't welcome? No, I didn't.
    Every time? Someone is an exaggerating drama queen. I figured that was me but you're quickly taking that from me.

Can you link to me a post where I complained about it not being good enough for me? If I remember right, I may have seen your images and merely commented about how I preferred AF with that game. It was nothing personal, so there's no need to take it that way.
    More exaggerating?

I'm sorry if I stepped on some toes, but where I did try and control your PC?

Forgive me if a I make a comment about something. Once you explained that you didn't like to overclock, did I or did I not respect it? Did I hassle you to do so? No. Have I maybe made a remark that you could be holding some GPU potential back? Yeah, and so what? Do you take that personally or something? If I remember right, when you recently asked for help about new parts (I think that was you?), I respected that you didn't overclock and made a recommendation accordingly, no? Didn't I? Oh, but oh, right, "every time" I just tell you you have to do something to please me.

If anything, I have right to be upset at you for ruining my thread. I love you DarkSamus; I respect who you are, and I appreciate your liking and sharing of 3D stuff even if I'm not into it, but this upsets me. This was nothing against you, and I'm sorry if it seemed that way.

Now that my thread is ruined, and since at least one staff member won't take requests for a member to better organize it to express it's point but just wants to argue their two cents about an unrelated thing, this may as well be closed.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  21. DarkSamus

Actually, no, I have never posted 3D screenshots, only photos of the screen whole running something 3D.

You need a 3D screen/glasses to view 3D screenshots ;)

In regards to the rest of your rant...
    [​IMG]