Random Thoughts Thread. (Clean version)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Phil, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Yeah but I can't justify it as I have a Shield tv. Might get for another tv but that's if it had native standalone apps.
  2. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

Have major exams starting on the 4th. Birthday is on the 3rd. Bye bye birthday.
  3. ElijahTW

ElijahTW NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Christmas with a toddler:

Hundreds of dollars on new, exciting toys. Plays with the toys she already had.
    Xtreme2damax and Strike105X like this.
  4. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

You got a future Steam-user on your hands.
    Silenus, Strike105X and Samor like this.
  5. Samor

Samor Foundry

without contest, you're getting the comedian of the year award :)
    Thanakil and Strike105X like this.
  6. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Look who's speaking, your definitely getting the journalist of the year report, i mean it takes passion and dedication to count so many pixels!
    Thanakil and Samor like this.
  7. Strike105X

I have to say the red army choir having passed away is quite a sad thing, they where amazing:

Nightmare likes this.
  8. Strike105X

So found out how to stop windows getting messed up on my secondary screen when i change resolution on my main, by switching order and putting the secondary screen in front of the first one, and oh boy is this going to take me a while to get used to.
  9. Hy-Def

Rest in Peace Carrie Fisher. :'(
    Nightmare likes this.
  10. Xblade

Xblade Drowning in a red state.

As I climb through the ranks at my company I realize the reality of affording a college education is close in my grasp(even If I have to be a part time student). I'm seriously considering majoring in computer science and then getting a minor in game design. I used to be an avid rpgmaker user when I was in elementary school, and I do have some aptitude for the arts.........but the art part is the fun and easy stuff. Where do you guys think I should start learning coding while I save money for school?
  11. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

Grab digital courses and start practicing, developing, managing projets from start to finish (thatll help you find out where youre most proficient and lacking, and keep you uptodate with modern tools and techniques).

The degree itself only implies skill but isnt actually a hiring criteria compared to experience, either as an indie or for a studio (its more comfortable learning the tropes at someone else's expense than your owner).
  12. Silenus

I started with this site by recommendation from a friend.
    https://www.codecademy.com/learn

Finished the first chapter, have to get back to it.

Good luck man.
    College is so expensive. I've always thought that system is fucked up, unless you have a lot of money saved up or a scholarship you have to take some crazy loans to finish college. I've heard of people with enormous debts by the time they finish.
    And you have to be lucky to land a high paying job from the start.

At least you will be doing something you like. xd
    Xblade likes this.
  13. Strike105X

So i tried it out, core CPU temps i got about the same as what i was getting with prime95 (60c vs 61c), but the shocker was socket temp, i got 58c vs 69c that i got with prime95.
  14. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

The moment you realize you pay €20 per month for electricity(covers heat too since electricity is used) and get your final house energy consumption bill of the year and don't have to pay a cent more but have credit going back to your account with a text telling you that your monthly fee may be lowered is the moment you know you did a good job building your house extremely energy efficient.

For instance i used to pay up to €90 for a small apartment plus up to €120 for heat while now i pay €20 for my house electricity(which includes heat) thanks to the solar panels and energy efficient devices.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Strike105X and Silenus like this.
  15. ElijahTW

ElijahTW NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

20 euros at the current exchange rate is almost the same as $20USD (jesus, has the euro dropped that much?). I wish my electric bill was that cheap. My average winter electric bill is about $480USD, and about $300 in the summer. God damn electric heat is killing me.

I also blame my wife because she insists the heat should be set to 72F (~22C) where I think 66 (~19C) is just fine.

I've looked into solar panels, but I have way too many trees near my house so they probably wouldn't be very effective. Plus even assuming they would work well, I calculated out the break even point as being something like 45 years.
  16. @ruantec

I build my house from the ground up with energy efficiency in mind and had a group of experts explaining me things and showing options to get the maximum out of my house when it comes to energy. Basically my house produce far more energy than what my house need even including the heatpumb. During sunny days i produce a lot of energy at a time when is expensive which is sent to my electricity provider and create credits. During nights i take that energy back but at that time is far cheaper plus our energy consumption is very low obviously. In other words i'm using back the energy i produce at times when my solar panels can't produce energy such as nights or bad weather conditions. Heat is excellent in my house too due to the way it was built so i have a great control while losing little energy and heat preventing my heatpumb from working harder and so using a low amount of electricity.

I used to pay as much as you for heat and even more for electricity at times.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Nightmare likes this.
  17. Silenus

My boss installed solar panels.
    We used to pay 250+ for electric.
    Now it's 40 bucks tops.

It will take like 2 years to recoup the installation costs but after that is a win scenario.

I plan to get those when I built my own house.
  18. @ruantec

It's definitely the way to go and even when those solar panels die in the future you will probably have saved enough money to replace them. I have been thinking into expanding the panels to produce even more energy but for now i'm happy with the results. In summer is going to be funny though since we have far more sunny days than now and i will obviously produce far more energy.
  19. Silenus

The warranty is like 25 years for the panels IIRC.
    So you will have to replace the batteries or something else than the panels itself.
  20. Hy-Def

Rest in Peace, Debbie Reynolds!

A day after her daughter died.

Cruel world! :(