Random Thoughts Thread. (Clean version)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Phil, Apr 9, 2009.

1. ElijahTW

ElijahTW NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Interesting. Maybe my calculations were wrong or based of old pricing.

That said, I still run into the problem that very little of my house/property gets a whole lot of sunlight due to me living in a fairly wooded area, so I'd have to chop down a whole bunch of trees for solar to work for me at all, and I like the trees so I probably won't be doing that.

I am however thinking about installing individual electric heaters in each room in my house so that I'm not heating the whole house to 72F. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep the living room, kitchen, dining room, play room and my office at the same temperature as the rest of the house when we're in bed sleeping. If they had individual heaters I could just set a programmable thermostat to entirely shut off the heat in those rooms during the night hours.

I've already replaced my old hot water tank with a tankless unit, which first of all is awesome - I can take a nine hour shower if I want to and not run out of hot water, and second has saved me about $15 a month, which puts my break even point at about 3 1/2 years.

Of course I have trouble bringing myself to replace old appliances with new. Sure, the new is a lot more efficient, but also seems a hell of a lot less reliable. I had bought a used frigidaire fridge several years back that was manufactured in the mid 80s, and while it wasn't very energy efficient, I never had problems with it. I replaced it with a fancy Samsung unit (which wasn't cheap!) two years ago, and I've had to get the thing repaired FOUR times already. All covered under warranty, but still, new appliances seem to be shit quality - or maybe just too complicated for their own good. I don't know.

I'm not very well versed in celebrities I guess. These celebrities keep dying and I'm always like "Who?".
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

@ElijahTW That's Carrie Fisher's (Princess Leia) mom. She was in Singing in the Rain.
  3. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!
  4. Linktothepast

Linktothepast Deus ex machina

Happy new year Strike.
    Strike105X likes this.
  5. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Happynew year Strike! is already 2017 since 30 minutes here :)
    Strike105X likes this.
  6. Hy-Def

Happy New Year.

It's been the new year for 1 hour 6 minutes already.
    Strike105X likes this.
  7. Samor

Samor CEO and Chief Editor of Samor Foundry

Happy New Year!
    Strike105X likes this.
  8. Hy-Def

It's my birthday!
  9. Strike105X

^congrats, Happy Birthday!
  10. Hy-Def

Thanks man! :D
  11. Samor

HPBD! :)
  12. Hy-Def

Thank you, Samor!
  13. Strike105X

Especially when i'm on phone i find it very hard at times to give likes, regardless of how much i press the damn button, close and open the browser and reintroduce the the page it just wont happen, very rarely it happens on PC to, though sometimes on PC i can barely access my alerts, while the rest of the site runs fine... Anyone else experiencing this ?
  14. Hy-Def

Which browser do you use? I only experience such a problem when I'm on Opera Mini. It reloads the page without liking. It can happen several times. Same thing with accessing alerts.

UC Browser and Chrome are just fine.
  15. Strike105X

Actually i only use Chrome.
  16. Samor

This site is an unresponsive mess with bugged javascript and an annoying eu-only cookie warning that breaks it even further. I reported it multiple times but... :p
    Strike105X likes this.
  17. @ruantec

Today while downloading games on Steam at 5-6mb/s reminded me that about 12 years ago that was my download speed but in kb! is really amazing how things has changed not to mention i'm using a mobile internet now.
  18. Samor

Yeah, I check a download and it's like ... oh, 6GB, that'll be done while I play a quick round of Geometry Wars... not too long ago that'd take forever.
    @ruantec likes this.
  19. Nightmare

Nightmare king Kong Never Dies!

True. I used to take 4 hours+ to download a 40mb Kof98 roms. If the line dced or the server got probs when downloading, you can imagine how i looked. And imagine each hour of internet usage, i need to pay USD 1.5. (it is not really in USd, but u get the idea)
    @ruantec likes this.
  20. @ruantec