Random Thoughts Thread. (Clean version)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Phil, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Ouch, sorry to hear that, i thought you weren't serious...
  2. laserjohn

laserjohn Aim 4 the stars...

It's okay. Sorry for putting you guys in a weird position. I know I keep talking about his death. I know it gets on people. I'm working on toning it down...

=) ..........
  3. ElijahTW

ElijahTW NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Don't worry about drunk posts. I, and a few others here have done it before.

Drinking when you're depressed is a really slippery slope. I've been down that road before and while I wouldn't have considered myself a full blown alcoholic, I got pretty damn close.

I know what it's like to lose someone you care about. I lost my father to suicide when I was 12. I know it never seems to get better, but I've found that having some hobbies to keep your mind off of it is helpful. In particular, I'd recommend hobbies that don't involve the internet - even though it might seem helpful to have so many people to talk to, I find spending too much time on the internet to actually make you feel more isolated and alone. (I'm fairly sure I've seen studies that back that up.) Personally, I've gotten into woodworking. Something about creating something with your hands (even if I'm not that great at it :p) makes life feel worthwhile and furthermore makes you feel like a man.

Take care buddy.
    laserjohn and Silenus like this.
  4. resolutespider5

resolutespider5 I mustache you a queshtion

5. Strike105X

Indeed, even i done it, but yeah i'd avoid drinking especially when depressed...

Actually i think this depends on the person, but my hobbies to rely a lot on the internet, i do prefer not to talk about my issues online though, but i do hate it even more in real life it usually ends up irritating me even more.... Then again i always was a loner...
  6. Xblade

Xblade Drowning in a red state.

Managed to buy a faulty carpet cleaner. I am irrationally pissed. :\
  7. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

ahh the good ole snoopers charter, i'm not with BT though.
  8. Strike105X

This is not only ridiculous but funny as hell:

Had a good laugh with the opening, had another very good laugh near the end and the way he hypes the "mother fucking T-Rex" is just contagious lol.
    Nightmare likes this.
  9. laserjohn

laserjohn Aim 4 the stars...

Your words truly, truly mean much... I will try my best to take your advise.
  10. ElijahTW

I'm a big fan of law and order's take on the internet and computers.

[​IMG]
  11. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Dammit I just bought an Asus Rog Swift 34" ultrawide.

Curse you shopping impulses!

Show Spoiler
    I just got a significant pay upgrade, my first and only major purchase for the year. I have more than enough toys, but this will end my pursuit of kickass technology. It's time I rebalance my life and get serious about my mental health.
  12. ElijahTW

From the looks of things, everyone here is in the same boat as far as mental health goes. I don't know if thats a good thing or bad.
  13. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Shadow of nothing... Staff Member Moderator Emu Author

Back at Microsoft for the 5th time now...

It's great to be back, I enjoy myself at Microsoft more and more now that Ballmer is out of the picture. Not to dis him, but let's face it, Microsoft felt like a s**tty place to work until the new CEO came along. The NDA is extremely tight, so I can't say much about it, other than I work on Scorpio's back compat. I would say this is awesome... if it weren't for the fact that I'm just a Test Associate III. All manual testing and the pay isn't too good. Why did I take it then? Because there was a serious hiring slump since October throughout the IT industry, and it's been hell trying to find a new position anywhere, let alone Microsoft.

I interviewed every day at Microsoft all week long, and didn't get a single position! One reason is because Microsoft's interview process still sucks after all these years. Shitty whiteboard tests that don't demonstrate coding skill but instead test your ability to write code on the spot in just a few minutes. Real world stuff doesn't work that way. Reverse a string? Wtf? What kind of insult is that? Yes, I know it's a trick question, but I'm not entry or junior level either. So far, all the jobs I've ever gotten didn't require me to whiteboard, since 2015. Not, a, single, one. This is why I hate dealing with the IT industry's interview process. One of these days, I'll be tempted to say how broken Microsoft's interviewing process is.

At least I have a job, but the pay is not even the bare minimum of what I need right now. At this point, I'm considering doing something else for a living.

Shogun
    Hy-Def and Strike105X like this.
  14. Strike105X

Hopefully maybe a situation where you could demonstrate your skill will arrive, wish you all the best shogun.
  15. Kaizen

Kaizen Yes Award Winner!

How about being an infrastructure guy rather than Development?

I'm loving working in infra, can't say too much as government worker but the setup is impressive.
  16. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

----

I just ordered a drill + impact driver kit.
    I don't know, maybe I'll do some amateur stuff in the house.
    Wife wants some wood type of hanger for plants, could be a fun project.
  17. Strike105X

Yup its great having one around, but i rarely used it expect for screwing things... since i have a lathe and mill at work that i can use pretty freely...
  18. Strike105X

I can't believe nobody is interested in the xb1 wireless adapter....
  19. Kaizen

Kaizen Yes Award Winner!

UK IT staff are paid a fraction of US, maybe in 20 years time I'll have enough to buy a small flat
  20. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

A thin, faintly bright line has appeared near the top of my monitor. Fucking hell.
    I've tried:
    - Changing every setting on the monitor itself
    - Using a different cable
    - Changing my resolution and refresh rate
    - Using different drivers
    - Using a different older GPU

The line hasn't disappeared. The monitor should still be under warranty, but I'm not sure I still have proof of purchase around (copy of email or receipt on the website). The line isn't SUPER distracting, but now I'm worried it'll get worse, so I'll probably RMA it even if it costs a bunch to ship it over there. I hate my luck when it comes to technology.