Remote Desktop Control...yeah it scares me

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by the_randomizer, Apr 14, 2012.

1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer Fluffy Animal Admirer

So, to start off, I'm currently learning how to use 3DS Studio Max in order to do some Brawl hacking. Naturally, I go to the Kitty Corp forums and start asking expert hackers how to get a good start rigging/adjusting the polygons to reduce deformations. Naturally I get frustrated due to my newness to using it, and ask for more help. After some talking back and forth, one of the hackers suggest I use TeamViewer so he can show me exactly what I need to do in 3DS Studio Max 2011.

That's what scares me, someone else besides me controlling the PC remotely, potentially leaving it open to brute force attacks and decrypting the security. My question is, should I trust this person enough to do this, so I can learn the proper way or be pointed in the right direction? I'm pretty sure this guy wouldn't intentionally do anything harmful to the OS or any vital data on my HDD, but you know, it's a tough decision.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Ask him for a vid instead?
  4. the_randomizer

That's what I said in response to that (either I do the vid or he does it), and yet, and I don't want to appear that I don't trust him; I don't want to make it look like I'm being a jerk.
  5. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

Absolutely not, even friends really.
    Look at it the other way: if hes to show you how to do that, he'd do it on his own machine and let you watch him (teamviewer permissions can be restricted to desktop display only, like watching over your shoulder). If he knows that stuff and you value safety, you could just initiate a session where he is only allowed to see your screen while the session is active, he comments on what you show him. Asking publicly or checking tutorials would still be wiser and less troublesome for everyone.

What sort of tinkering were you in need of anyway?
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  6. the_randomizer

Rigging and weighting the vertices, changing the influence on nearby bones (mostly the bones that move during an animation), like arms, elbows, head, tails, knees, etc. All of that is what's giving me the most trouble and most frustration, the whole me being a noob to 3DS max. Should I ask if I could watch him instead while being restricted to observation? Or record and upload videos to youtube?
  7. Hard core Rikki

Neither should be necessary or desirable.
    What sort of tinkering as in details, we already know the basic functions of 3dsmax.

I suppose you meant for Wii/64/gc game 3d models and model replacement and editing? Smashboards could be a good starter place.
  8. the_randomizer

I frequent the this one here http://unotaku.com/kcmm/forums.kc-mm.com/index.php in hopes to import models over Brawl models, and aside from the Model Resource website, I haven't found any other decent place. The problem with some models is either they're A, not rigged or T-posed properly, B, don't have the right textures or C, simply refuse to load in 3DS Max at all.

I want to learn how to not only rig them properly and weight the vertices, but get them to work in Brawl. I've read some tutorials, it's just I have expectations that are too high.

I tried 3D Ripper DX or whatever it's called on DirectX 9 programs (like Dolphin) and gave me an error saying that it couldn't launch and closed down. ePSXe didn't work either, so I sure as heck can't use that to rip models.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  9. ElijahTW

ElijahTW Need more coffee. Award Winner!

I don't really see the security risk here. As long as the software is only setup to allow controlling the keyboard and mouse (file sharing etc disabled), there is really not much to worry about so long as you're watching what they're doing. I mean, any P2P type connection always has a certain amount of risk, but no more so than a webcam chat session.
  10. Hard core Rikki

3Dvia Printscreen is an alternative that could help if 3DripperDX didnt.
  11. the_randomizer

Really? Well, in that case, I guess there's no need for me to be overly paranoid.
  12. KrossX

KrossX クロスエックス

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  13. Fadingz

Fadingz 代言人 Translator Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Maya + python/mel ftw.
    Screw 3ds max, lol
  14. DinJerr

DinJerr Meow Meow Meow Award Winner!

use VNC instead, and terminate connection once he's done with whatever it is he's supposed to do.
  15. the_randomizer

That doesn't really help me with Brawl hacking, now does it?

That uses the RFB protocol, which isn't that secure by default. Whatever encryption I use to protect the connection is likely to be compromised.
  16. Mad

Mad AKA snkmad

Well a couple of days ago, my friend asked me to help him configure his router.
    He gave access to his pc, using teamviewer.
    He could see all that i was doing, and didn't loose control of mouse/keyboard, so if i tried to do anything bad, he coud stop me.