Resident Evil 4 Comparisons

Discussion in 'PC Games Screenshots' started by Xtreme2damax, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Mr. Technological Staff Member Moderator

This thread is meant to post comparison shots of Resident Evil 4. Considering I don't own a PS3 or Xbox 360 this is a comparison between the Wii, 2007 PC port and the new Ultimate HD port. At the moment I have two comparison shots between the Wii version and Ultimate HD port. I will post more later when I get the time, when I do so this post will be updated. Everyone else is free to post their comparison shots below.

The only thing that is irking me so far is the darker color scheme/pallet with the Ultimate HD port where the Wii version is lighter. I am not sure if there is a way to fix this but I hope someone figures it out. No it isn't brightness or gamma as that is set exactly like the Wii version at default but maybe the setting needs to be tweaked on PC to give the appearance of the Wii version. Other than that, so far it looks about identical to the GC/Wii version maybe better due to higher resolution and higher quality textures.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    Hard core Rikki likes this.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Xtreme2damax

Another screen. Definitely looks better than the original port but the lighting in darket than GC/Wii versions even after tweking brightness. Leons hair and other things appear darker. I''ll go through the different versions tomorrow for a more detailed comparison.

Ultimate HD:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  4. DarkSamus

DarkSamus PC game modder Award Winner!

OK, here are my thoughts after playing up to where Ashley gets captured by the wall in the castle.

I have noticed an issue with fps even with my specs.
    It seems to occur only sometimes when switching back to gameplay after being in menu's.
    Everything in the game will move in slow motion for about 2 seconds and then return to normal.

I did end up trying to use the mouse for an enemy and it was almost impossible to aim with the screen just stuttering in the same spot and not scrolling at all.
    You also can't change to much in the controller configuration screen.

Because I have mostly only played the old PC port I am seeing a lot of nice touches you don't get with the old build.
    The Del Lago battle in particular looks so much better with the spears you hit it with staying for the entire fight. (in the old build and PS2 the spears disappear on contact)
    Running through the lightly flooded areas you can see the water flow around Leon's feet and hear the swooshing noise beautifully.

Audio is FAR better with the audio of running on metal roofs in particular sounding just like the real deal.

Modding potential is far greater as well.
    I am really excited to see how good the mods for this will look due to it being based on the GC version.
    You can seriously tell this is a closer port of the GCN/Wii version.

I do like the look of the game and it is VERY smooth at 60fps and in all honestly do feel Capcom deserve $20 for what some are calling merely a patch.
    This is gonna mod incredibly well (when/if we can get the tools) and once it is we are gonna have one helluva lot of fun with this game.

I rate the port a 9/10

Only down points are for the missing GCN/Wii effects and I feel Capcom were lazy by not making more of the textures higher resolution.

Otherwise, I am loving it and my hat goes off to Capcom for giving us the build we should have got first time around.

Some video's I put on Youtube of the game...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    Hard core Rikki likes this.
  5. Xtreme2damax

Btw is there any way modders could potentially fix some lighting issues to make the lighting more like GC/Wii and not so darK? Could something like ENB or SweetFX be used to improve lighting or add a DOF effect similar to the GC/Wii versions? I will take some time tomorrow to post more comparisons and include the original 2007 PC port, the only comparison shots I can't post are for PS3 and Xbox 360 since I own neither the system or the games but anyone else is free to post these shots if they want to.

Oh yeah, it is definitely better than the 2007 port. I think some additional effects are missing from that plus it uses low polygonal models and more inferior lighting/shading. In the new UHD port some water looks unrealistic such as the water in the tunnel in the beginning before getting to the house with Luis, the water has the physics of jello and seems different somehow to the water in the GC/Wii version. I'll check on the Wii version tomorrow to see if there is any differences with the water.

@DarkSamus, it looks like you have post processing enabled in your videos. I personally disabled this option because I didn't like it and made the game worse i.e.. eye gouging bloom or green tint and black & white filters. Actually the whole video doesn't look like that but in some cases it looks like the post process bloom. On second thought that is just the poor lighting I was referring to, makes everything a darker tint than the GC/Wii version. Despite this minor issue it's still a decent port compared to the old 2007 port.
  6. DarkSamus

At the moment lighting is the of the least concern to modders. What they really want to do is re-texture the game.

Any lighting issues will be looked into after that I assume.
    Honestly though the darker look is something I quite like.
    Helps give the game a scarier vibe imo.

Albert (The creator of the best texture pack for the old PC build) has this WIP at the moment...
    [​IMG]

And another guy going by the name of crisdecuba is showing this as his WIP...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In both cases these guys are just waiting for someone to release a conversion tool for the textures.
    At the moment they are creating and testing these using the Wii version and Dolphin.

You can keep an eye on progress of crisdecuba's work here.

For Albert's progress we need to wait as he is keeping most of it under-wraps right now.

Keep an eye on the RE modding forums for progress.
    RedLion and Hard core Rikki like this.
  7. Xtreme2damax

Oh wow, that is impressive. As for lighting I just prefer it to match the original GC/Wii version as best as possible. I don't mind some menial missing effects such as DOF or specular, DOF especially as that effect mostly revolved around hardware constraints and lower framerate at the time. The lighting however is crucial to the atmosphere imho so I hope there is a way to improve it.

I wonder what mods will be possible in this new port? Hopefully modders have some nice ideas up their sleeves, at least cutscenes other than from bonus content isn't a concern since the main game now uses the in engine cutscenes.
  8. Hyuga

Hyuga Classic Games Lover

Are those comparisons with the UHD version, DS? I don't remember them being that bad in the game.
  9. DarkSamus

They are comparing to the Wii textures.
  10. Hyuga

Hyuga Classic Games Lover

I played the PS3 version for a bit today just to compare with UHD and the latter looks much better. The spears disappear during Del Lago battle on PS3 too.

However I noticed two things with this PC port: the fps get really choppy when reloading the rifle and items that are on the ground sometimes disappear before I pick them up.

Otherwise great, great port. 7 years too late though ;)
  11. Xtreme2damax

Besides better hd textures in terms of modding what discussion is on the table as far as mods that are possible for this port that weren't possible on the old port? Would it be possible for modders to fix lighting, reverse engineer the effects from the GC/Wii versions and port it over or anything else interesting in the modding scene for this game? I did a comparison over the past couple days and notice how off the tone lighting and color is in this port compared to the GC/Wii versions, even in the Xbox 360/PS3 ports lighting was more proper than in this port. The gamma/lighting seems out of whack and no way to adjust. The only option is to adjust brightness which makes everything look marginally better and closer to the GC/Wii version and the Xbox 360/PS3 version but doesn't solve the issue. The color tone and lighting is either too dark or too bright in some areas and most times the environment and characters appear with a dark or dark orange tint/shade.

Btw I posted on screen of the original PC port from 2007 and more are to come when I have the time and patience to play through on each version.

I am quite satisfied wit this port otherwise. We now have in engine cutscenes, original assets, fully polygonal models and I like the fact the laser on guns looks more like a laser than a thick red line extending out from the guns. I just want the experience to look and feel as close as possible to the original. The inferior lighting kind of sets off the atmosphere. Also there is one prerecorded cut-scene at the Salazar castle where you have to shoot wood planks out of the gears in the tower to move the bridge. Everyone is claiming it's always been like that even on the GCN version but I never noticed it before.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  12. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

As far as mods go? You're either going to have to wait for someone to announce/release their own pet project, or do the work yourself. The lack of certain effects is well documented at this point, so the only thing that can really be done is wait to see if someone can create a shader that can plug in, somehow.

I'm just waiting for a few performance bugs to be ironed out, if the effects really bug me I'd just play the Wii version emulated. But overall the port looks pretty solid.

Just gotta wait for my copy to arrive in the mail.
  13. Xtreme2damax

I'd play the GC or Wii versions as well but since my i7 board died I've been stuck with an inferior processor and crap board. I am trying to get cash together but everyone wants money from me I don't have and I have to worry about a $250 utility bill now for a tiny mobile home. I'd also prefer to run the game natively without the overhead from emulating it. I was hoping there was some kind of discussion between modders and the community in regards to what mods are possible with this port that couldn't be done with the old port or planned projects.

I tested out kb/mouse controls on the shooting gallery and I can honestly sympathize with the complaints, the controls are absolutely horrid and give no options for customization. Plus the mouse aim has some kind of acceleration that can't be disabled and some are reporting negative acceleration with the mouse. Plus the QTE doesn't register most of the time or shows the wrong keys. Then those with beefy systems can't maintain 60fps and some dealing with slowdowns, some animations work at 30fps such as rifle reloading animation. Then there was a lackluster job with some HD textures where some textures are stretched, some they neglected to convert to HD so they don't match surrounding textures or vice/versa and look odd. Not a bad thing but this port is more generous with items, on the farm tons of eggs will drop which doesn't happen in other versions.
  14. DarkSamus

X2M, You know I am a moderator of the most active RE4,5,6,Revelations modding community?

Anyway. I'll address your questions

We are back to square one. (From modding the old PC port)

So we have to learn everything from scratch.
    In regards to stuff that's broken, we just need to wait for a patch or patches.

The effects that are exclusive to Wii will stay exclusive to Wii (no DOF or specular effect)
    The only hope you have right now is SweetFX and ENB.

SweetFX is ATI GPU only and enb is even worse with only filter options available.
    Both in my opinion provide poor results.

Texture modding will only happen when someone can convert the .ips files that contain all the games textures into a format we can edit on PC.
    Or we can even create new textures from scratch.

We also need similar tools for making model swaps and editing animations.
    At the moment its a wait and see game.

Much like how its rude to press developers for emulation release progress,
    it in the same way rude to do the same about conversion tools for the exact same reasons.

They do this for fun, they don't get paid and it will be released when and if I get around to learning what Capcom have done with the files.
    ^I'm not saying this to you, it's just there attitude.

People are looking at the files, but no one knows enough to create any tools yet.

Some people are already making mods for the game and converting there work to use with Wi/Dolphin for testing purposes but will switch to PC exclusively once a texture converter is released.

Here are the 2 best examples are work being done...
    Albert (The author of the original RE4 old version)
    [​IMG]
    ^Compares default RE4 PC texture to his one planned for RE4UHD once there is a texture converter.

And this from crisdecuba
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^Crisdecuba's work is an early WIP and has an estimated release of 2 years.
    But he will release everything as he goes.
    You can even download what he has completed so far and test them yourself in Dolphin now.
    /once we get a texture converter he will convert all files to PC and cease releasing Dolphin updates.

Alert is being slightly cryptic in his talks and I get the feeling he is ready to release almost as soon as there in a converter tool.

Hope this helped answer most of your questions X2M.

You are always welcome to sign up at our forums at http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  15. Xtreme2damax

Thanks DS for the information.

On another note this is interesting and promising:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/254700/discussions/0/558749824294678385/

So apparently the missing effects can be ported. Heck.. Capcom started to port the missing effects such as specular highlights but never finished them and the unfinished code is in the game but currently isn't used. :/

Not trying to bash Capcom but I just found out they opted to remove the merchant light rather than fixing the issue of it popping through walls..
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    RedLion likes this.
  16. DarkSamus

That is indeed good news.
  17. Xtreme2damax

He posted more videos with the slimy effect working on bosses, plagas and any enemies using this particular effect. By the way, does the name Sigma ring a bell in the modding community? I really hope this is legitimate and the footage isn't doctored somehow, it would be reassuring to know he a credible and a known name in the modding community.

Edit: I asked him if he is a modder and examples of his work and he stated this:

I don't understand why some modders are keeping things under wraps or claim it's difficult to release their work. Is there the chance of Capcom serving a C&D despite it being either their fault or the development team they outsourced to that these effects are missing in the first place?
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  18. DarkSamus

I would have already come back to let you all know if he was a fake ;)
  19. Xtreme2damax

Heh I figured that but sometimes I have my doubts. Any idea why modders keep things under wraps and are reluctant to release their work? Sigma mentions it's difficult for him to, is that because of the risk of being served a C&D or the fact the files and code are copyrighted? Still if the latter is the case he could always post instructions how to make the modifications ourselves.
  20. DarkSamus

He is really hoping that Capcom will fix these issues themselves in the patch we will get soon and his fix requires the gamma in the game to be fixed anyway.

As soon as Capcom release the patch and he see's that Capcom are not willing to fix those issues (as they have said it themselves many times now) I am sure he will release it.

Problem is that if he releases it now it will fix some things but breaks others.
    He doesn't desire to release a fix that breaks stuff so is waiting for the patch which hopefully will fix the games Gamma.
  21. Xtreme2damax

Well we can hope Capcom will figure it out and fix this stuff but we all know deep down it's not going to happen. :(

As I said they'd rather remove anything they don't understand how to port or fix. The glow effect around lights and the effect on merchant torches were removed from the final release due to a bug in the pre-release build, this effect exists on the Xbox 360 and PS3 port. Everything is very stale and flat, I think ambient lighting is broken in some instances if this game and other ports used ambient lighting, from screens lighting in the Xbox 360 port looked more proper. But it seems gamma and color temperature or the color palette/depth were broken on the modern console ports and further broken in the UHD port. Some places in the game are either too bright or too dark, unsure if this is because of the lack of ambient lighting, shader issues or lack of proper shadows but it seems gamma is not the only problem.

I know approximated means as close as possible to the original but I now wonder if proper (original) lighting was possible all along if the GC/Wii effects are possible to port? Still the approximated lighting doesn't look much different on the Xbox 360 but it's definitely broken on the UHD port. You can notice it's broken because lighting will pop in/out varying between darker and lighter and there seem to be flickering with the lighting. I tested on the GC version and there is flicker but this seems different like the lighting is bugging out. Sometimes it is more proper and in some areas it lighting doesn't work correctly. For me this was most noticeable in the Salazar castle. I'll have to dig through my screens to find a comparison in the same place to the GC/Wii version as well as an Xbox 360 screen.

I know Capcom is not fully responsible as they outsourced the port once again from what I've heard. I have a feeling the pc could have had a proper port without anything missing if Capcom worked on the port themselves and they directly ported from the GC/Wii rather than the PS2 and now the Xbox 360. I suppose this is to be expected when the creator of the series, most of the original development and production team are no longer working for Capcom and on this game.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014