Resident Evil 4 Comparisons

Discussion in 'PC Games Screenshots' started by Xtreme2damax, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Mr. Technological Staff Member Moderator

I took a bunch of screens using Steam which were posted to my profile:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xtreme2damax21/screenshots/

Feel free to post some comparisons from other ports and the original GC/Wii version. Currently I want to see how lighting compares specifically to the GC/Wii version, in my game I adjusted brightness and the result seems satisfying to me until Capcom fixes issues with lighting, shading and gamma etc..
  2. DarkSamus

DarkSamus PC game modder Award Winner!

Capcom has confirmed the game will be patched via Steam beta patching soon, no word on exactly when or what the "beta" patch will fix though so I'd prefer to wait for Capcom to patch the game before we do comparisons.

I don't feel it is a fair comparison to put a buggy build that requires a bug-fix to the bug-free GC/Wii.

Let's just calm down, take a deep breath and wait and see what Capcom's next move is.
    Once we get a less bug-ridden game I'll gladly take comparison shots with and without Sigma's fix as well (As I doubt Capcom plan to add the missing DOF, Specular Highlights and Bump Mapping)

I honestly believe that we will get the main bugs fixed by Capcom, then Sigma will release his "patch" at which point fair screens can be captured where I honestly think a Nintendo system will loss for the first time ever with this game (because of Sigma's find).

Then once we can do texture modding the Wii/NGC versions would hopefully be left in the dust.

I will compare NGC/Wii, PS2, Old PC and New PC (with and without Sigma's fixes) once we get a build that is of a competent level to do it fair justice.
  3. Xtreme2damax

I agree but I wanted comparisons to see exactly what's different between each version and what needs to be changed to get this port to look like the GC/Wi version or the Xbox 360 port at the very least. Such as comparing how close the approximated lighting is to the GC/Wii but maybe the PS3/Xbox 360 port would be better for a comparison right now.
  4. DarkSamus

Here are some of the pics that show the issues...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin (Sigma on Steam) will share his info, you can read his discussions and watch his videos on our forums.
    But he also said over on the forums that he won't share it until at least the first patch is released.

He is testing Qloc/Capcom, he wants them to not only fix the "360 bugs" but to add the "Nintendo effects" officially as well.
    If the patch that is incoming doesn't have the "Nintendo Effects" activated then he will tell the world how to do it themselves to the game.

But he needs it to be 100% on par with the 360 version for the fix to run perfect.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  5. Xtreme2damax

I see, we can hope but so far no response from Wbacon or Capcom. They seem to be skirting around it, at least on the Steam discussion page. I know someone posted on the Capcom Unity forum but I'm not sure if Capcom responded there yet or they are dancing around acknowledging the evidence on their official forum as well.

Besides approximated lighting and the missing GC/Wii effects on the Xbox 360 port, anything else different or any issues not present on the GC/Wii version? If it's possible to port the GC/Wii effects I presume it would also be possible to port the original, not approximated lighting and shaders. Being this is a port from the Xbox 360 which therefore is a port of the GC/Wii version I honestly believe and have faith mods that weren't possible with the old port are possible with this new port, modding potential is far greater and everything can be ported for the complete authentic experience. If Capcom doesn't want to bother fixing graphic anomalies and porting the GC/Wii effects it would be a nice gesture to provide tools for the modding community to use to fix some issues that either aren't possible or more difficult to fix.
  6. Hyuga

Hyuga Classic Games Lover

Anybody noticed texture issues duriong/after Salazar fight?

7. Xtreme2damax

I didn't experience this is and I passed that part the other day. It seems some are experiencing issues others aren't experiencing. Only oddities besides what I and DS mentioned so far is a minor issue with a brief green screen between the transition from the cut-scenes to in game. I didn't experience that particular issue and the game has been fluid for me with minor slowdowns at 60 FPS in places like the village.
  8. Xtreme2damax

Well someone released a gradient for the post processing shaders that makes lighting and color more comparible to the GC/Wii. Will throw up some screens after in a bit to demonstrate. Doesn't totally resolve or fix the issue but it makes the game look more like it's supposed to.
  9. Xtreme2damax

So with the color fix here is how they compare..

Wii version:

[​IMG]

Ultimate HD (No post processing):

[​IMG]

Ultimate HD (Post processing Level 1):

[​IMG]

Ultimate HD (Post processing Level 2):

[​IMG]

Edit: Disregard the screen with no post processing. That wasn't changed from the original. I will include a shot later with post processing set to level two however that still doesn't look quite right compared to the GC/Wii version.

Edit 2: Don't disregard the screen without post processing for the sake of comparison. I just thought the fix improved the color with post processing disabled.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  10. DarkSamus

ewww at post processing.
    Just have some patience for a real fix.

Also the format that the textures are compressed in got found about 24 hours ago, so a texture convertor has been made (quickbms script) and texture modding is now possible.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  11. Xtreme2damax

I did adjust gamma with the Nvidia control panel. For me it looks almost identical to the GC/Wii now, once Capcom fixes the gamma, other lighting, color and shading issues I'll drop it back to default. Check my profile for screenshots with the adjusted gamma. Not sure if it'll show for others in screenshots though but it look nice on my end.
  12. DarkSamus

Playing with a Playstation controller?

Try my Playstation Button Mod...
    [​IMG]
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And because video often shows things like this better...
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  13. Xtreme2damax

Sigma released his fix for speculars and bumpmaps with a gamma fix.
  14. DarkSamus

Told you that he could be trusted ;)

As it turns out, he is modding the same file as one needed in my mod so I need him to make a fix just for my mod.
    I have messaged him with my version of the files so he can apply his fix to them.

Right now people that want to use my mod have to choose.
    They can have his fix but sacrifice the action button icon being modded (Still shows as the Xbox X button) or not use Sigma's fix and have all buttons modded perfectly.

He has messaged me back and has said he will look at applying his fix to my files so all I can do is wait a bit longer to release the final version of my mod.
  15. Xtreme2damax

I knew he could and that's why I didn't doubt him after your reassurance on the subject. It does make the game look much nicer than it did and if Capcom can fix the shadow and lens flare bugs then I will be quite a happy camper. :)
  16. DarkSamus

I've updated my PS button mod with nicer looking buttons and it now includes Sigma's fixes.

Also, Albert and crisdecuba are now working together to retexture the entire game to a higher standard then ever before.

Here is the guys current WIP...
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  17. Xtreme2damax

So.. Specular highlights and bumpmaps are officially implemented in the latest beta patch. However Capcom/Qloc didn't fix the coordinates for the effect, hopefully in the next beta patch if there is one. I wonder how much longer they'll bother with fixing issues before they get bored and crash. Admittedly they should have just stuck with 30fps rather than trying to implement 60fps which the engine was clearly not developed to support, it's not like there is a noticeable difference between 30fps and 60fps with the way the engine and game were developed.

Edit: Capcom might crash and burn because most there are needy, whiny and demanding pricks who are picky about even the smallest of details. Admittedly I can be picky at times but I am quite satisfied with the state the game is in and they continue to improve it so all the better. My only gripe is with is looking as close to the Wii/GCN versions as possible. Sound is not an issue for me as the game sounds fairly decent on my 5.1 surround system.
  18. DarkSamus

They also missed fixing bump-maps on some items (Martins (Sigma) fix restored all bump maps as well as specular highlights)

You're better off sticking with Martins (Sigma) shader/bump map fix for now.
    I'm not applying the official shader/bump map fix into my button mods before they fix the shaders correctly.
  19. Xtreme2damax

Will the beta patch overwrite Sigma's fix?
  20. DarkSamus

Yes, just delete the 07000000.path.lfs file it gives you and replace it again with the patch he provided.