secuROM and daemon tools

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by jonc2006, Nov 10, 2008.

1. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

i have several games that use the secuROM protection system like bio shock, overlord, and fallout 3 (probably a few others too that i just am not aware of yet) for example, and due to this i have yet to install daemon tools on my new system. the reason being is that i am worried about either my secuROM games becoming unplayable if it somehow picks up on daemon tools or from secuROM screwing with daemon tools itself and making it un-useable.

i know people have had problems with it blacklisting and removing daemon tools and other disc image emulation softwares when installing a game but what about after the game has been installed? does secuROM still attempt to disable daemon tools or does it just do a check during the installation of a game that uses the protection?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

The drivers remain loaded with the system. You can disable or remove them, but generally the game would be expected to not run (require reinstallation).
    With securom removed, I presume modification of the gamestart executable could suffice (while this is true with starforce, not sure about the latest securom incarnations, which i heard were nasty)
  4. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

well i only use daemon tools for things like psx or ps2 emulation, i never actually use it for those games with the secuROM protection. im just not sure if it will actually prevent me from using daemon tools for those purposes despite not being used for anything that is related to those games or if it will make my secuROM games stop working if it picks up on it.
  5. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

I personally dropped Daemon Tools since greed got the better of them.
    Alcohol52% FE is as nice an alternative, for image-based emulation. Image finder, profiles, image making, what more is there to wish for, compared to the now crippled DT versions/editions?

Once the kernel drivers are installed, I believe they just perform checks during install time, and aborts install till the conflicting softs are removed (removing these apps then reinstalling them after getting the game installed might be ok, but cant confirm)
  6. Spyhop

Spyhop New Member

People wanting to get paid for their hard work isn't greed. I hate that, whenever software devs start asking for money geeks flip out and get all hippy.
    Besides, they still offer their usual free version, it just doesn't have IDE support.

jonc, I think I only ever ran into trouble installing one game while I had daemon tools running. Can't remember what that was. I imagine it's not common practice to do this kind of thing since there are plenty of legal application for virtual drive software and pulling this kind of BS just pisses off consumers. (ie the Spore effect)
  7. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Crack the games, Securom and Star**** kill systems