Serious Sam 3

Discussion in 'PC Games Screenshots' started by Net_Bastard, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Net_Bastard

Net_Bastard Member

This is, of course, the newest Serious Sam game. It's supposed to be a prequel to the first game, with the subtitle being "BFE", which stands for "Before the First Encounter". The game has some pretty damn fun gameplay. If you never played a Serious Sam game before, it's basically like a top-down shooter, similar to Gauntlet or Geometry Wars. The difference is that it's in a first-person perspective. Waves of enemies will come at you unrelentingly. For people who have played Serious Sam before and didn't read much on this series entry, let me just say this: The final level is supposed to have ~1800 enemies on the hardest difficulty. That's more enemies than the last levels of First Encounter and Second Encounter combined.

This game looks pretty damn good, especially for an indie game. The character models are extremely detailed (although the animation isn't that good) and the guns are also really nice-looking. There's also some DX10/11 features being put to use in some places. I have the color settings set to Vivid, with the contrast turned up slightly. The only complaints I have is that some of the textures are a bit too low-res, and there are some tiny lighting issues here and there.

Please note that these are only screenshots of the city levels. I'll grab some screenshots of the desert levels once I get further into the single player.

After getting a secret area, I found this:

[​IMG]

After finishing an awful, awful level (which thankfully, according to people who have played through single player, is the worst part of the game):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also rip out Gnaar eyes in this game, as seen here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found a mini-secret medpack. Really needed this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alright, now I'm doing some online co-op. 16 players is the max. I think there were 8 players including me at the time.

[​IMG]

Was that gun not big enough for you? How about this?

[​IMG]

Looks like someone found the cannon.

[​IMG]

Boss battle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a cutscene.

[​IMG]

The game is PC-exclusive at the moment, but it's coming for Mac soon, and consoles sometime this year. Also, it's on sale at Amazon. Only $12, and that is a steal. It's only for spring break, so act fast if you want this game.

NOTE: This game has EXTREMELY HIGH system requirements. I just installed a new graphics card in my computer (2.5GB GTX 570), and it still lags on more intense battles. There isn't any bottlenecking in my computer, and I'm not even on the highest settings. I've even heard reports of people with dual GTX 580's getting some framerate drops on the higher settings. That being said, the game has pretty low system requirements on the lower settings.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

I'm sorry but if the game has grass that epic whilst making a GTX570 lag it's just not worth it. That and I'm not interested in killing tons of monsters/aliens for little to no reason. I already had enough of that in Bulletstorm.
  4. Net_Bastard

Net_Bastard Member

If you weren't interested when why did you reply?
  5. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Because I felt like commenting on that abysmal performance. And because even if not positive at least it's a reply which means this thread has life.
  6. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

I have to agree with schumi that at least technically the game doesn't seem to live up to its requirements...
  7. Net_Bastard

Net_Bastard Member

It does live up to its requirements when the huge battles start. A lot of these screenshots were from less hardware-intensive parts of the game, where it ran at a much smoother framerate.
  8. snickothemule

snickothemule I could kill a building. Junior Contributor Award Winner!

I've been meaning to get this for a while, I love Croteam and the Serious Sam HD remakes are really fun games that look incredible.
  9. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Irregular User Award Winner!

i have the game since last year (steam only), i thought it was good, better than Bulletstorm imo, co-op was even much more fun, tho not many folks play in my region so i had to connect to more distant servers.
    Its mindless shooter fun just like its predecessors, i use it as a break if i feel like doing quick mutilation after playing long hours of Skyrim or any RPG game. Imo if they tried to "innovate" beyond its scope, it would play bad, and thats what happened to Serious Sam 2 imo.
    As for the performance, i wouldn't say ti was bad, that's because you have uh around ~40 graphical settings to fiddle with (CPU settings and memory settings are still on a separate tweaking menu), and its one of the few games to have an option to select what internal render resolution to use (just like in emulators), last game i remember having this was Silent Hill 3 PC.

I don't have shots but i have sample videos of the game:

10. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

In a way that's what i meant, considering the requirements you'd expect better graphics, or with the current graphics lower requirements, now i'm not saying that the game fails because of that but it ain't a positive thing either.
  11. snickothemule

snickothemule I could kill a building. Junior Contributor Award Winner!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Got a chance to play this a bit today, it's not too bad, very frantic, but very harsh on the eyes with all the brightness. Without the Fast Accurate Anti Aliasing the game looks pretty harsh, but with it on it gives it a decent smoothness without killing detail. Hard to play for long lengths, but really fun in short bursts.
  12. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Irregular User Award Winner!

^lets do some co-op sometime :D