Shader Comparison shots

Discussion in 'General Screenshots' started by Mkilbride2588, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Mkilbride2588

Mkilbride2588 The Pest

Mm, I saw no thread for this, and while I realize it's because what a monumental task it is, I figured I'd do a few, I am going to play through a few games, Megaman Legends, Chrono Cross, Star Ocean 2, some classics from my past basically, and take shots of them using various different shaders to see what produces the best results.

First up:

MegaMan Legends 2(applies to both MML1&2, as they use the same Engine / Graphics);

Bump mapping shader:

[​IMG]

Clearly, Bump Mapping is not good for this games style.

Cell Shading:

[​IMG]

Produces a very clear image, and keeps the original art style, while making it look fresh. A bit lighter than the original game, but that's fine.

Natural Shader 2:

[​IMG]

Looks nice, blurs the image slightly, looks a bit darker than the original game, but still, like the Cell Shader, a good choice.

Advanced Cartoon Shader II:

[​IMG]

Once again, this one clearly is not meant for this games graphics

Overall, I'd say Cell Shading makes the game look best, with Natural Shader 2, second.

I'll add more the further I go along, and I'd like others to add their own too, if they can, so we could compile a big thread of screenshots to show how various shaders effect certain games.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

Interesting thread, looking forward to more shots. It's always nice to see such comparisons. :thumb:
  4. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

it might help to include "layman's terms" explanations of what a particular shader actually does in a general sense to the graphics rather than how they look with specific games or which one looks best.

there are probably alot of people who may not understand what terms like "bump mapping" or "cell shaded", some kinds of filtering, etc really mean and how they relate to the graphics.

ive actually been considering making a thread of my own (but finding the time to do so is difficult at the moment) that would attempt to simplify things by removing games themselves from the overall picture and focus only on explanations about what they do without going too far into the technical aspects.
  5. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

I think the best addition to this thread would be to include an image of the game without any extra shaders, to give a central reference point :)
  6. Mkilbride2588

Mkilbride2588 The Pest

Ah yes, I could do that, I just figured most people would boot up the game and see for themselves :p

Thing is, most of the games I've been trying out don't have a significant difference, or it's hard to tell from the default, MML was different because there are clear results.
  7. watsonemma

watsonemma New Member

Nice Shots with great picture quality.