ShadowPlay: FRAPS alternative from Nvidia

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by Hard core Rikki, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

GeForce ShadowPlay Beta Launching October 28th

[​IMG]

Beta leaked early. Get it here:
    - https://mega.co.nz/#!uBxSUSgL!eJ5PyF4lN7O_DK45FGMdLHcDProg5g6A44SaCyQb9Sg
    - http://www.mediafire.com/?zhcp4mgwb7ob5gj
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Irregular User Award Winner!

ive been talkin about this since few months ago, delayed always, now its here, tried it and its great, hardly any impact on performance. Just needs some additional bugfix as some random artifacts appear on the vid
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer Fluffy Animal Admirer

Good, because FRAPS can really kill performance on certain emulators.
  5. Squall-Leonh@rt

Squall-Leonh@rt Maybe I'm a Lion

shadow play is using the nvidia h264 encoder, the bugs come from no motion detection being possible.
  6. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

No need for the leak cuz the update to GeForce Experience as well as new drivers were released a little earlier today.
  7. the_randomizer

Doesn't work in emulators, at least not in Dolphin....don't see any watermarks and there's no way to change the recording resolution. Hmm..... Anyone try this on emulators and non-PC games?
  8. SCHUMI_4EVER

yeah I imagine it only works in proper games
  9. the_randomizer

Figs. At least I can make walkthroughs for Splinter Cell though :D
  10. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Desktop recording or GTFO Nvidia....
  11. Hard core Rikki

Maybe to accomodate common games, but like FRAPs, I guess it's usable to hook 3d framebuffers rather than only whitelisted processes.
    We can assume at least Steam's collection of games will be hookable, maybe its collection of windows software as well.
  12. the_randomizer

Haven't messed with it too much, but I wish I could change the resolution and framerate because 1920 x 1080 at 60 fps, even compressed, can take up a helluva lot of space. The program's still a beta, so maybe they can he adjustable sometime, I hope.
  13. ViperXtreme

MSI Afterburner is its "competitor" atm, using Intel's Quicksync to record vids while playing.

Also, i remember MSI Afterburner not working at 64bit apps atm, like dolphin 64bit, BF4 etc (undwinder refusing to make an x64 build because its not yet widespread). Does shadowplay also had the same limitation?
  14. the_randomizer

Does that program cost money? Well, FRAPS is probably the only ideal solution to capture most, if not every program out there. Plus the ShadowPlay only detects two of my Steam games :lol: Hopefully they'll fix that and have changeable resolutions instead of 1080p.
  15. shinra358

shinra358 Member

I don't understand why there is constant comparison to fraps when bandicam is so much better.

ShadowPlay:
    -Only detects games that are detected in geforce experience. I called this before release. Many new pc games have come out and I got like 15 and only 4 are detect. No support for 3D vision anymore, half support with shield, and most other softwares are half done as well. You're never gonna get support for every single game because none of their other things have full support.

-No watermarking. So you will have to waste time to reencode with another program, wasting time, before you upload. Butchering the quality.

-Can only record games, nothing else.

-2 buttons for a record hotkey instead of 1 and they are far apart.....

Bandicam:
    -Detects everything nomatter what it is.

-Watermarking. Once you record, you are ready for upload.

-Hotkey is whatever you want it to be.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  16. SCHUMI_4EVER

MSI Afterburner is a more a GPU Monitor and overclocker intended for MSI cards but it works for any and this is simply another feature it has.
  17. SCHUMI_4EVER

Because gamers use FRAPS, it's been like that for as long as FRAPS has existed. Though not for it's recording prowess but rather due to the FPS overlay one can call up. And since so many gamers have it to check FPS (before all sorts of other ways of getting an FPS overlay existed) it's just natural that that's also the first thing they'd try to record with and if it works ok they wouldn't bother looking anywhere else.
  18. the_randomizer

Bandicam is good, I just don't like that stupid watermark, plus you have to start a new recording after ten minutes.
  19. Hard core Rikki

Maybe for 800x600 videos and smaller, but anything bigger will make anything but fast SSDs struggle to keep up. Uncompressed is out of question for HD recordings.
  20. ViperXtreme

MSI Afterburner is completely free. You will need to do a bit of fiddling to make it work tho (quicksync HW accelerated gameplay video encode).

DXtory anyone?
  21. the_randomizer

I went to Intel's site for QuickSync but there's no download button, and the tutorial sounds as complicated as hell to use lol. Wait, is Afterburner used with QuickSync?