Smartphones and Tablets news.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by Silenus, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Samor

Samor Foundry

It's a quad core, not octa. Not that you'd need that much anyway.

16gb isn't great though if you like Apps. I know all about it as my S5 only has 16GB and I'm constantly out of room (as apps don't install on SD). Depends a bit on the footprint of preinstalled (cr)apps too (a whopping 4 GB with Samsung), let's hope they don't include too much junk.

That said, I read that Android M will finally allow usage of the SD properly again, so if that phone will get an update it'll have plenty of room.

That battery though, very good (on paper at least).
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

If specs is the reason then i would rather recommend you the Xiaomi Mi 4c which is about that price but has better specs and also better Quality.
  3. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

I think it's a rebrand of an existing device (Gionee Marathon M5). Alright for the specs.
    Rebrands are a more cost-effective way for carriers to compete on pricing, raise margins or promote their data plans, since they usually control the branding and its promotion.

And of course, available nowhere except from shifty resellers taking a huge cut. Knockoffs of Xiaomi devices are also prevalent, it's no longer Samsapple's curse.
  4. Samor

Samor Foundry

and half the battery. Still a good battery, but that P9/M5 has a really awesome one.
  5. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Sorry confused it with the Allview E4, that one has octa core of 1.3 Ghz, its a bit cheaper though has a IPS 5" screen, rather then a amoled one.

Actually they have pretty good quality build, and Xiaomi ain't available at my phone carrier, remember i said i can buy it in monthly installments with no interest that's why it looks so attractive, that said till February a lot can change and new models can come out for offer.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  6. @ruantec

Ah, that makes perfect sense :)
  7. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Late reply i know but i forgot at the time to reply to this... I don't think 16 GB would be an issue for me considering i'm doing just fine with 4 GB (actually its 2 GB usable) :p.
  8. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

I think I'm going to go after the Sony Z5. Incredible camera, good screen, stereo speakers and waterproof. Rounded edges are much nicer than what they had years ago.
  9. @ruantec

Microsoft should push this harder... this is how Phones should work and definitely the killer of all those toys out there. I'm just not sure if MS actually realize that though.

Now close your eyes for a second and imagine that phone was powered by one of those awesome x86 mobile processors out there.....

[​IMG]

That phone could be the start of the future for those who realize the potential and forget about the damn gimmicks.
  10. Hard core Rikki

There's exactly zero chance of that happening as long as existing ARM fabs are unable to produce Intel chips, and in anywhere the capacity as with ARM. Intel currently subsides chipmaking of Intel-powered devices and will only continue doing so until OEMs pass the noose around their necks.

Don't forget that ARM liberated chipmaking factories whereas Intel held them down with insane pricing, hellish heat for the reference designs and monopolistic practices.
    Microsoft's Continuum may require Intel to some extent (thanks to Windows 10 requiring Intel-compatible chips, after RT's failed experiment), but replicating that feature can cut out both Intel and Microsoft. In fact, I'm sure this will definitely happen.
  11. @ruantec

Intel have some good x86 chips that could be used for that and with it provide a full desktop experience. Only the time will tell but i just have the feeling like Microsoft isn't aware of what they have in there hands as usual and with it completely missing the oportunity.
  12. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I am pretty sure we will see at least 1 OEM put a mobile intel x86 chip into a windows 10 based phone at some point in the future.
  13. @ruantec

I just wonder why isn't Microsoft the one taking the first steps as it would make a lot of sense.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  14. Hard core Rikki

There's already a handful of Intel-powered x86 phones. The problem doesnt come from trying, but ensuring it can leverage a hardware ecosystem around it.

- Creating one anew is way too risky and expensive (see Nvidia with its Tegra line).
    - The next option is to ensure existing fabs expand their production to x86 chips, durably priced to move.
    - The handiest option would obviously be to convert their x86 stuff to run on ARM (like through on the fly translation of at least the Metro ecosystem). With desktop processors moving to include compact onboard arm chips (GlobalPlatform TEE), this could help offload much of the computations.
  15. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

Think that I'm January, I'll either be going for the Meizu M1 Metal or the LeTV Le 1s.

@snickothemule supposedly you should say it's water resistant, not waterproof. Water damage supposedly ain't covered in the warranty. Amazing phone though, if not for the price, I would have...
  16. @ruantec

Metro and .Net applications aren't affected by the CPU architecture unless they are compiled for a specific one. They aren't creating a new eco-system but simply allowing something that would feel natural coming from Microsoft. When you travel a lot its very important to have your laptop with you which is why they exist in the first place but having a smartphone that turns into a PC is another level as is quite handy and unique. Intel has SoFIA and with it they can provide the right CPU for daily tasks and obviously full x86/x64 app support.

This is obviously not a feature for everyone but i see a lot of potential and people that would be happy with such a Feature.
  17. snickothemule

Welp, I've ordered the Sony Z5 and a 64gb sd card to go with, I've opted for the dual sim variant for when I go traveling next year.

I'm pretty happy that the phone still uses the regular micro usb cables, there's so much hubub about USB-C cables and inferior products that can do damage to hardware, plus I already have a house full of them so charging isn't going to be an issue.
    Hy-Def likes this.
  18. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

Envious.

Tell us everything going when you get it!
  19. snickothemule

Played around with the Z5 last night, got sms messaages copied over and had a little play around, coming from an HTC One M7 there are quite a few changes that are going to take me some time to get used to.

• The screen at 5.2" is prettty large and makes the handset feel much bulkier than the M7, Sony with their triluminous display have saturated the colours a great deal and it doesn't look as bright and vibrant as the M7. It is a very nice screen to look at, but it pales in comparison with the AMOLED screens and their vibrancy.
    • Speakers are okay but nowhere near the quality of the boomsound HTC speakers. They sound hollow in comparison and lack depth, still good enough sound for a smartphone, but it's something I'm going to miss a lot.
    • The camera is fantastic, ridiculous autofocus and smokes the M7. Dedicated camera button is genius and perfectly placed.
    • It feels mostly comfortable in the hand, exceptionally light, but the gently recessed back feels slightly odd and is going to take me some time to get accustomed to.
    • HTC Sense is a very pleasant UI, the Xperia interface looks pretty messy in comparison and doesn't carry anywhere near the same swagger. This is an aesthetic that is ultimately user preference, but I'm initially disappointed.
    • It gets hot as fuck. The 810 chips really are shit.
    It is a very good phone, the interface needs work and the thermals suck, but this phone is a very solid with much to offer. It's big, light and quick, if a little no frills at times.
  20. @ruantec

The 4 Dollars Android Phone:

shinra358 likes this.