Smartphones and Tablets news.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by Silenus, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

Industrial-grade clickbait stories... Anyone could also do better by simply stealing a phone.
    Or even better, getting a phone for a negative sum (getting paid to accept the device). Who said you can't beat free?

More realistically, there's refurbishing programmes whose subsides nearly fully pay for everything. It obviously doesnt cost this little, as taxes and public money usually cover those expenses.

And there's obviously the possibility the sellers of ultracheap devices are getting their money's worth off cheapskates one way or another, like by slipstreaming datamining malware or including their own app store.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  2. shinra358

shinra358 Member

Thanks for that info on the phone. Decent enough phone that I can get for the kids! But does it have the real google app store or an offbrand appstore?

This is when you know............ you f^%$#d up! M9 plus has dual cameras PLUS a fingerprint reader. DOOOOH. I just replaced my M8 with another M8 when I should have gotten the M9+ :(

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  3. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Isn't the M10 being announced next month?

I would have waited to see the new stuff before getting another phone this year.
  4. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

I wouldnt hold my breath... HTC's got a fetish for buying time by building up hype, only for cruel reality to set in when they finally announce anything. And by the time they start selling devices, rivals outdid them.

It's one of the reasons Android as an ecosystem fails... You got unending hype for devices that end up outdated the day they finally start selling, outclassed by the next rumored devices.
  5. Silenus

I got you but in his case, he likes HTC that's why I suggested to wait for the 2016 flagship.
  6. shinra358

shinra358 Member

I dunno. I'll have to read up on that. But I needed it asap because of my delivery jobs that work solely through the phone.

Edit: I googled it real quick. M10 doesnt have the dual cameras like M9+ or M8. But it does have the fingerprint reader like the M9+. So unless they got a secret M10 too, looks like the M9+ is the best version.
  7. GeominorAI

GeominorAI AI

Source: XDA Developers
  8. Silenus

Haven't read the link but I'm not sure it will have a big impact on the scene.
    There are a couple of good forks and a lot of developers that will keep working on modding stuff.
  9. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

I swear I'm about to merc my Sony Z5.

Performance just tanks, it overheats so quickly, locks up on youtube (F*****G YOUTUBE) and the battery life is inconsistent. I've had to turn off Facebook's garbage app as it just chews power like nuts.

The screen is not legible in daylight, it's unimpressive indoors, the sound is poor, for a (once) flagship device it has been nothing more than a disappointment.
  10. Samor

Samor Foundry

Did they hire HTC engineers? :p
  11. snickothemule

Been on the hunt for a new phone and I'm not sure what to pick. I have 3 requirements, good camera, large screen with sunlight legibility and battery life to last enough for when I go travelling.

I use my phone for when I fly my drone, so the screen has to be bright enough to be readable in full sunlight. Camera needs to be good for when I do field inspections and for general use.

My choices are fairly limited, but it comes down to a few choices:

Lower end: Moto Z Play - dullest screen but still amoled, fat ass battery and 625 chipset means plenty of use, camera is okay, but not amazing in low light. $450 is rather good for its position.

High end: Samsung S7 - price drop, was a flagship, good battery, amazing camera, supreme screen. At around 600-650 it's somewhat tempting, but still kinda expensive. A year old could be a problem.

LG G6 - good screen but not amoled, aspect ratio is pretty amazing camera is fine, performance is acceptable, battery seems good. Cons, so new and expensive at around $900. Could be cheaper in a month or two.

Wait and See: Moto X (2017)

It's really hard to say. Money wise the Moto Z would do fine, but there are a few concessions that make me want to think otherwise, for a reasonable increase in price the S7 would do me much better. Fuark it's hard to choose lads.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  12. Gladiator@

Gladiator@ Well-Known Member

I was also looking for a new phone just last week. I had similar requirements and decided to buy an LG V20. The cameras are fantastic, performance and screen quality are top notch and the battery is removable (a rarity these days), so you can take a spare unit with you when flying your drone. Another plus is that it's much less fragile than the LG G6.
    Hy-Def and snickothemule like this.
  13. Silenus

I'd go for the s7.

It's the middle ground and still a nice phone.
    Great camera and screen.

--
    I am very impressed by the S8, might get it down the road when I can get it at a good price and I sell my iPhone 6s Plus.
    Freaking nice design there.
    [​IMG]

But this time I go for the normal not the plus, even when I come from Notes and iPhone Pluses I feel the S8 Plus is too big, things you can see when people cant reach the fingerprint reader in the back easily.
  14. snickothemule

Thank you my dudes for your opinions, I greatly appreciate it.

After deliberating for weeks I've finally made a decision and went with the S8 on a plan. $65 month with $101 cashback upfront and the Samsung VR thrown in for free. I'll probably sell off the VR as I have no use for it, but the S8 (apart from the fingerprint sensor) is quite something, I love it's design and it ticks all the boxes I need for work and play.
    Silenus, Hy-Def and Gladiator@ like this.
  15. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

That's a great phone. Yes, apart from that sensor position, it looks amazing, and I love that shiny finish that the blue variant has.

And I hated the look of TouchWiz, so I am pleased with Grace.
  16. Silenus

Nice Snicko.

Let me know what you think of it when you get it on your hands.
  17. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

Was I the only one who saw the S8 ad "more to see, less to hold" and immediately thought "Easier to drop, more to crack"?
  18. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Irregular User Award Winner!

been on a lookout for replacement phone as well as my old 1st gen MotoG showing its age (and getting sluggish). Considering the Moto G/G5+ but the lack of magnetometer/compass is a minus for me as i go to many places and do engineering field work from time to time and require it for accurate planning and mapping and placement of structures, the US version seems to have one though, sacrificing NFC while the international version (which is mostly the only one available in my region) has NFC but lacked magnetometer.
    ZTE Blade V8 Pro looks like a good alternative but seems elusive on my region, any other alternatives with this price range? (200-300usd) preferably with close to stock android, with all them sensors (couldn't care less for nfc though), and hopefully around 5.2 inch or smaller screen. Oneplus 3/3T seems to be on a different price range u__u
  19. snickothemule

AGM X1? It doesn't have great network capabilities, but it has some pretty baller features.
  20. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I am still using a Note 4 myself and was thinking about replacing it with the Note 7 but we all saw how that worked out. I will NEVER get the Note 5 as I need the SD slot for ISO's and ROMs for emulation using my Moga Pro Power bluetooth controller. I hate mobile games so being able to run real console/handheld games on phone while on the go is great. I have both a 32gb phone which is near full and a 64gb sd card which is also near full so a standard 32gb/64gb device won't cut it for me in the least. So yeah it looks like I am waiting to see what the Note 8 brings. I honestly don't like the odd aspect ratio that Samsung has gone with on the S8/S8+. Also the size of the S8+ at over 6" is nuts as well as its starting to brush against tablet size for me. If Samsung follows the past and uses the S8+ as the base for the Note 8 aka size and aspect ratio then I am not sure what I am going to do.