Smartphones and Tablets news.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by Silenus, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

Ok Looks like I am getting a Samsung S8 to replace my Note 4. We are switching from Sprint over to AT&T so a phone switch is needed.
    Silenus and Samor like this.
  2. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

3. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

4. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

As for emulation on android I use a Note 4 and a MOGA Pro Power bluetooth controller currently with an S8 on the way. I am use to running emulators on my phone since I hate most mobile games. and the Games I do like such as a few Kemco RPGS work fine with my controller which is much better then using the touchscreen. I run up to NDS and PSX on my Phone currently. I do PSP on my laptop/desktop most of the time becuase it has some issues with my Note 4. Hopefully the S8 works fine going forward.
  5. Silenus

NDS with the Note series was a match made in heaven.
    Way better screen and a better stylus makes NDS emulation a joy.

Main thing I miss when I had my Note.
  6. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

Most of the time I don't play NDS that that make exclusive use of the Stylus that can't be performed with buttons ont he controller. AKA No NDS Zelda or Metroid for that matter for instance. So I don't even touch my screen for NDs games lol.

I would have gone with the Note 7 instead of the S8 if it was still around but we all saw where that went. Hopefully the Note 8 and Note 9 stick around much longer and I can upgrade to either when we switch carries again as its been known to happen every few years. We went from AT&T to Verizion to Sprint and now we are heading back to AT&T. I went from the Note 3 to the Note 4 and will be heading to the S8. I hopped on the wagon when they swiotched from AT&T to Verizon. I had Boost Mobile before that with an HTC ONE SV. That was a decent phone for $300 or so back in the day.
  7. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

I wasn't knocking it :p I think it stacks up pretty well.
  8. Silenus

oh ok.

Anyways when you add Dex and a controller to the cost I think it gets a bit expensive.
  9. Samor

Samor Foundry

The galaxy tab s3 comes with the s-pen but with 9.7" that's a lot larger than a note, though...
  10. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

Just got my S8 in and the AKG earphones are NOT quite form fitting at least NOT for my left ear. Medium is slightly to small and it doesn't get as good a seal as the right one and the large is to large.

It's currently on the charger and not yet activated. Just testing the earphones out on my laptop right now.
    Samor, Hy-Def and Silenus like this.
  11. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

S8! Sweet! Pictures please!

And I'd love to see some camera samples later on, if you don't mind. :)

How's the quality though? Of the headphones?

And how badly placed is the fingerprint sensor, truly?

And how awesome is the screen? Hope you don't got no red tint. :p

And the iris scanner, I'm curious. How well do those work?
  12. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I will post pics once we are done here at the AT&T store. Activating the new phones now.
  13. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I certainly prefer the quality of my Audio Technica ATH-m50x a lot more then the AKG's that came with the S8. As I said the left side doesn't fit me all that well and tends to slip out over time. Sound quality is decent for a free set of cans that come with a phone. The fit is certainly better then apples which do NOT fit me at all.So air Pods would be lost quickly in my ears.
  14. Silenus

Of course the M50x would be better than those. The AKG seem nice but I don't expect to surpass 100+ headphones.

I have a Jaybird x2, will try to compare them if I get the S8.
  15. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

No red tint on my S8 UNLESS I enable the Blue Light Filter toggle which turns the screen red and I can change how red it gets. So yeah the red tint is a feature you can enable and disable at will as well as set automatically when the sun sets and rises.
  16. Silenus

Had that before with f.lux but nowadays iPhones and even windows with the creators update has that feature.
  17. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Got the S8 and getting it setup. Some things I've noticed:

-Screen is amazing. So much surface area and the colours are outstanding. Could not be happier with the quality.
    -The narrower width is perfect, it feels so natural to hold and the weight balance is great. In no way does it feel like your holding a giant phone, really appreciate how good it feels.
    -The lower resolution on startup is perfectly fine, I don't really need to bump up the res, everything is so damn clear.
    -blue light mode is great.

-It's glass and a bit slippery but I've put it in a spigen case and it's tremendous.
    -Speaker is shite. I'm too used to stereo speakers in my phones, but I tend to connect to my wireless speakers now.
    -So. Many. F*****g. Settings. It's going to take me a few days to go through and get everything configured correctly, not really jazzed about that when I'm too excited to play with my new phone.
    -Fingerprint sensor location is balls. Due to the phone being narrower, holding it in my left hand is a bit of a strain to move my finger over to the right spot, I understand this was a bit of a late thought when they implemented it into the design, but it's disgraceful. Shame the screen fingerprint scanner didn't come through.
  18. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I just set my S8 up with the iris sensor instead of messing with the Fingerprint scanner.
  19. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

I was thinking about setting it up, but did a restart and the fingerprint sensor is working so much better than before. Using right hand is far easier than left.

Also changed the screen type to Cinematic, the automatic was running a very strong blue and was a bit painful to look at. I've acclimated to red light filters and going back is a bit rough. Cinematic is a good tradeoff, whites look more white at least.

The networking on this thing is pretty baller. WiFi at work puts to shame my Z5, very awesome to see. Loading and switching apps feels so much snappier, but I can see the display dropping frames at times and can be juddery more often than not. So far that's the most disappointing element.

Phone is very good, even if it feels like a half step into a new realm of design. From what we've seen the note 8 is going to amend the shortcomings of the fingerprint sensor and the dual camera setup should be pretty amazing.
  20. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

Yeah I get great signal all the way out to the mailbox on the 5Ghz band with this phone compared to all my other devices that lose it if I walk outside.

Edit: Managed to fix the left sid EI think by taking one of the tips off the earbuds that came with my Note 4 those earbuds no longer work so I now have a black and white tipped pair of AKG's for my S8. Also I am forced to use the USB-C to Type A adapter that came with the S8 to use my FiiO E18 as the USB-C to Micro adapter does NOT work. Which means I am forced to pull my phone out of the Pelican Voyager case if I want to use the FiiO E18. I can NOT get the S8 to accept an incoming charge from the FiiO E18 either for some reason it always sets itself to charging the FiiO instead of receiving a charge from the FiiO E18. So yeah looks like I have somke things to look out for. AKA see if I can't find a Micro USB to Type-C cable that works for the FiiO as needing to pull the phone out is a pain every single time and then yeah I might just drop the S8 and break it because of how slippery it is because its all glass.

It would seem that the USB-C to Micro adapter that came with the S8 is Charge only. I have a HDMI Connector kit that is OTG and it does NOT work with the adapter that came with the S8. So yeah looks like I need to see if I can find another adapter or an small USB-C extender that I can use with the USB-C to Type A adpter that came with the S8 so that I can use it while the case is on.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017 at 11:01 AM