Smartphones and Tablets news.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by Silenus, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

But that's for now.
    It won't take time till you see they do a root check before launching the app.

I think Mario Run doesn't work on rooted phones without some hacks.
  2. Silenus

Guys I had enabled a bunch of stuff on my GS8 and battery was taking a huge hit.
    It still sucks that android still suffers from rogue apps or its own system doing a lot of wakelocks.

The other day I got 2 hours of screen on time. that's ridiculous.

My previous iPhone and iOS fw didn't suffer from that.

Today I installed Forcedoze and it has been great at making sure the phone is "resting" when the screen is off.

Unplugged at noon from 100% and it's 4:00 pm and battery is at 88%. It wasn't heavy usage but I can see the phone was sleeping well and still getting my notifications.

The app is a bit tricky to enable, have to run 2 adb commands on a pc to enable permissions, but it's really worth it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suyashsrijan.forcedoze

Highly recommended guys.

Let me know if you need some help setting it up.
  3. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

No issues with mine but then again I don't install a bunch of not needed apps that sit in the background hogging battery life. I use mine for calls/texts and emulatiors and thats it since my laptop covers the rest of my needs.
  4. Silenus

I didn't install many extra apps, have like 3 games and a couple of utility apps.
    I even use the facebook mobile site instead of the android app because it is a battery hogger.
    What was keeping my s8 awake were things already baked in the system.
    I open Gsam battery monitor and I see Samsung Dex keeping the device awake, when I have never used that accessory.
    There are also the google apps, although they sound great in paper, seems they are not optimized or battery tech is not there yet for all that goodness.
    Google maps and google now pingin my location and keeping the device awake with a NLPwakelock (network location provider).

These phones have all the nice features and you want to try them but find out if you do, you'll take a big hit on battery life.
  5. Mikhail000

Mikhail000 New Member

Better than Greenify?
  6. Silenus

Yep.
    I've used Greenify since a couple of years but the s8 has a builtin feature that puts the apps to sleep, although I don't think it's that aggressive.
    Forcedoze puts the device in deep sleep and do a bit of wakeup so you don't miss some notifications but I've found out it works better than greenify.

You can use them together too.

I also use package disabler to disable some bloatware like carrier redundant services. For ex: I don't need 2 email apps running in the background.