Smartphones and Tablets news.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by Silenus, Dec 16, 2010.

1. n_w95482

n_w95482 Gone Contributors

I haven't looked into the GS2 much, but these two look interesting. It looks like the ICS scene for it is exploding, so there should be a lot of choices to pick from :).

It sounds like RAP may have tried it using iTunes-friendly videos. I would imagine it wouldn't have any problems with 1080p as long as it's hardware accelerated. My Captivate is able to decode high-profile 720p MKV files in hardware with no issues and it's using a relatively old SoC. I haven't tried 1080p on it but I have a feeling it won't work.

Edit: I put a 1080p copy of Office Space on my phone and played it using DICE Player. Holy crap, it plays with only minor stuttering! I'd imagine the new iPad could probably run two 1080p videos easily :p.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. Demigod

Demigod これはバタスです Moderator

To be frank, I don't bother turning off my data connection. Battery life isn't really that big of an issue with me, at least as far as in-game apps go. Interesting you should mention e-mail though, since the data usage (and subsequent battery drain) caused by Exchange IS an issue. It seems whenever I use push e-mail for my Hotmail the data keeps getting used every few seconds for some inexplicale reason, causing massive battery drain (it would die in 5 - 6 hours, and that's without me doing anything). I currently have it poll for e-mail every four hours or so but it's kind of annoying since I love push e-mail but can't afford the battery drain.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. Ah choices, choices (I feel like a kid in an ice cream store, pun definitely intended)

That's why I'm waiting on the Exynos. My Galaxy S2 can do 1080p with no problems, and supports various media formats in hardware (just drag and drop). What I don't like about videos on i-devices is that they only natively support a specific format. I converted videos for my dad for his iPad and I would not want to do that with all my videos just so I can play them on an i-device (takes time, effort, and money).
  3. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Finally x86 tablets are getting better and am looking forward to get either this one or upcomming ones:

Source

Sure is expensive but at the end am buying a machine and not a toy :thumb:
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  4. runawayprisoner

runawayprisoner Level 9998

No, the new iPad can only decode one 1080p video at a time. They updated the GPU but didn't update the decoder.

And the problem is... only MP4 containers get proper hardware acceleration. Everything else is software in iOS. You can remux MKV containers to MP4 within a minute or two on any computer, though, and still retain subtitles + soundtracks and so on.

Apparently, that actually has something to do with Android's implementation of Exchange.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1443559

And ICS doesn't seem to have fixed it. iOS handles that much better.

Ironically, Gmail on Android is better on iOS. Gmail on iOS needs to be set up as an Exchange account, otherwise it's iffy.

------

And @ruantec, I'm sure the Samsung Series 7 has been around for a long while. In fact, I think I have mentioned it to you at some point... That and the HP Slate, which I still regard as being the best Windows 7 tablet I have handled.

The Series 7, from the brief time I played with it, wasn't up to Ultrabook standard, but the weight and heat was very off-putting.
  5. @ruantec

Yeah, with the power such tablets offer and my passion for UI desing as well as knowledge i could finally let my imagination fly :)
  6. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna New Member

Are you referring to switchable/soft subs? How do you accomplish that while retaining hardware decode acceleration? Any special app needed for playback?
  7. runawayprisoner

You just change the container from MKV to MP4. Sounds simple, but... it is. It takes like 5 minutes for most movie clips.

If you want to be thorough, you can also use something like Handbrake to reconvert MKV to MP4 and integrate external soft-sub into the file.

After you get the converted file, drag and drop it into iTunes, sync, and enjoy.

It took me just one night to convert a whole anime series into MP4 with better compression (smaller size) and soft-sub, and then I was able to enjoy every episode the next morning. Pretty neat.

Plus it's not any different. It's just like MKV... but now I don't need special decoders or VLC to playback anymore.
  8. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna New Member

I've never gotten soft subs to work (granted, it's been a while since I last tried) on iOS. Last I tried, my iPhone just ignored the subtitles. Any specific format for the soft subs so the iPad will play them? I've always had to spend hours encoding to hardsub my anime. Most are MKV with embedded SSA subs.

I'm familiar with Handbrake (it's what I've been using for years). Maybe I'm just using an older version, though, but as far as I'm aware, it "burns" the subtitles into the video and re-encodes. I was hoping for a solution that will allow a simple remux from MKV to MP4. YAMB appears to work but even if the output MP4 has subtitles embedded, I haven't figured out a way to get my iPhone to display the subs.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  9. @ruantec

Today i found this:

Source

While i have to admit that the tablet is quite thick still is quite tempting thinking about the fact that is powered by an i7 with up to 8GB of ram and two batteries. However the price may be a bit high even if i haven't found any more info about it
  10. @ruantec

Also found this which claims to be the most powerful tablet in the world:
    Source

Quite expensive and i don't like the design tho.
  11. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna New Member

Back when it was first released, perhaps. I think the presence of Sandy Bridge tablets would negate its claim to fame.
  12. runawayprisoner

I think it may have to do with the way iOS 5.1 handles video files differently. After all, now iTunes takes videos above 1080p effortlessly.

It might also just be the clips I have used. I have used .srt thus far. When I use Handbrake, I just uncheck the burn in box, and it'll magically embed the subtitle.

Also multiple audio tracks is now supported, and iPad 3 can play back 5.1 tracks and downscale it to stereo out of the headphone port. But when it goes out of HDMI, it's pure 5.1.
  13. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna New Member

Looks like this is the culprit. I don't have this option in HandBrake so it appears my version is just too old (2008/11/23: 0.9.3).
  14. n_w95482

n_w95482 Gone Contributors

0.9.6 came out recently, maybe try that one?
  15. runawayprisoner

I bet this will make some people jump with excitement:

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-iPad-Hard-Drive-s/183.htm

It's a USB hard drive that is 100% fully compatible with iPad CCK.

And what's more, it's just an enclosure (albeit quite an expensive one, but hey, it includes its own battery), so you can use your own drive. Looks like I won't be missing out on videos, should I choose to. :)

Just as an idea, though, you can use any cheap $10 enclosure coupled with a $50 USB battery to achieve the same thing, but it's not in the same elegant enclosure. Then again, the USB battery also charges the iPad and iPhone... so...
  16. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

I hope they payed something to the Glassklart theme author. :p

[​IMG]
  17. runawayprisoner

Well, in any case, I returned the iPad 3 (again, this is the third time I have rejected the idea of an iPad device). :p

Here's a list of reasons for whom it may interest:

1) It's less powerful than my laptop. And by that, I don't mean that it's because the iPad runs a mobile OS or anything like that, but that I can accomplish a lot more with my laptop in general. The difference in hardware is easily highlighted, and the difference in software is notwithstanding.

2) The screen on the iPad 3 is ludicrously good, but in terms of color reproduction, it's only comparable to my laptop's screen by default, uncalibrated. It's a lot sharper, I'll give them that, but something tells me the current generation just doesn't have the panel quality that I'm asking for. I was one of the lucky few souls who got a good panel with minimal defects. The general consensus is that you'd have to have won the lottery at least once to get a panel as good as mine (no screen bleed, no uneven tint, no dust, no dead pixel). Apple's QC has taken a turn for the worse when it comes to their non-Pro devices. Likely to reduce cost, but God almighty, this is just borderline bad here. It's even worse than the iPad 2, I think.

3) Heat surprisingly doesn't bother me that much. It doesn't get that warm. That said, though, the battery charge time does get me. 7-8 hours to get a full charge from my laptop? And then after that I can only use it for about 8 hours (because I keep screen brightness at max almost all the time)? This is probably one of the least efficient Apple devices I have ever used.

4) Back to the screen: while it's amazing, there is... next to nothing (except texts and DSLR-imported photos) that can max out its potentials. To put it mildly, the screen makes everything look like ****, and the problem is... everything is ****. Save for my books in PDF form, 101% of the internet, 99.9999% of the app store (you can count half of Apple's own apps, even), 1000% of book publishers, and 10,000% of consumer-grade media (photos, movies, music videos, etc...) are not ready for this kind of device, and my guess is that it would take another 365 days for all of those to catch up, by which time, hell, the iPad 4 has already **** all over this one. It's a shame, but really... I think the screen is very, very, very overkill for what is available right now. It's too far ahead of itself. Maybe when Apple has invented a mobile processor that can play back 4K contents that we'll have something to discuss.

5) 4G/LTE is useless since 4G is the same 3G we've had since forever, and LTE isn't available where God has made land (and ocean). But hey, it's closer to my home WIFI, so I should be able to stream seven-twenty... what? No, no 720p for you, sir. Your LTE connection seems so fast compared to WIFI because you are streaming 360p! Jokes aside, there's a way to get over that. But apparently, Apple can't get over itself to at least negotiate with carriers to allow 720p streaming over cellular network. And 360p looks like... urg... imagine blowing a Chip-8 game up to your 70" HDTV. It's that bad.

So half of that (I'll admit, over half) are all criticisms to Apple for failing to deliver not the software but the content. Their software is solid, their hardware is ground-leaping, but... this is way too early.

I suppose something gotta exist first for content providers to start working with it, but in all honesty, I feel Apple could have provided developers with these toys like... last year so that more apps could catch up by now. For the most part, the only thing that's taking advantage of the new screen are the texts, but seriously, if I wanted ultra sharp texts, I'd grab the Kindle instead.

Kindle was gone, but I'm not getting it back since I don't read enough to warrant a purchase, but... this one is definitely going back. I'll take a peek again when next year comes and contents have filled up. :p
  18. @ruantec

I guess you finally see why i was so dissapointed even before the iPad3 was out. The better screen and small changes just do not justify the upgrade and it doesn't change the fact that is just a advanced toy. I got my iPad 3 last friday and after bringing a weekend with it i'm now ready to return it back today and either take my money back or take a macbook instead. The reason for that is that when i hold it besides my iPad 2 i just feel like is sort of a downgrade instead of an upgrade and while i do not like my iPad 2 that much i just don't feel any better with the new one...

Because of this and Windows 8 Metro dissapointment i've made the decision to wait the necessary time until a proper x86 tablet PC appear on the market. I'm aware that it may take a while until that happen but i know it will. Since the biggest problem i see on x86 is the software(in this case Windows 8 Metro) i made another decision and that's avoid Metro and instead create my personal one which i just started this weekend.

So far is looking like this:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I managed to replicate Apples stack re-order behaviour as well as add movable controls which are dynamically loaded as plugins. I guess its going to be the best way for me since am just sick and tired of seen companies failing to create a proper software for there devices(am talking about x86). I've never said that but right now i thank God to give me the necessary skills to change that myself.
  19. runawayprisoner

It's not the actual software that I have beef with. I can work around all that.

It's the fact that the screen seems overkill no matter what I throw at it that I have beef with. :p

There is absolutely 0 movie content available to consumers that can make use of even 80% of that screen. And since the switch to 1080p was just finalized recently, I doubt that'll change for a long while.

There is also absolutely 0 website that can even display its content 50% right at that resolution because most websites are made for 1280 pixels across, or below.

It's insane, really, that even in portrait, the iPad 3 is too wide for most websites to fit without scaling, and when scaling is applied, most websites look like crap.

And apps are also getting updated slower because now developers have to deal with 4x larger resources on 2x the RAM available. Since all contents are currently made to fit the 1024 x 768 screen of the older iPad, the extra RAM feels pretty generous, but when things start to trickle in, 1GB will feel limiting very fast.

Not even taking into account the insane compressions involved, 2048 x 1536 interface assets are way too much for most graphics designers, and especially because there are only so many displays on the market that can properly fit that much at 1:1 scaling and still show some menus.

I don't have any doubt, though, that Apple engineers really squeezed every last drop of power out of the A5X to power that display. In terms of software, they managed to keep everything peppy smooth and perfectly responsive even at such a resolution, something they still haven't managed to get right on the Mac computers (Xeon counted). I don't think any amount of work you put into your front-end can match that. It was God-like engineering. I would keep the iPad 3 if for nothing but the fact that it browses the web better (smoother scrolling, smoother zooming) than all of the computers I currently have in the house.

Too bad the web just isn't ready for this. Perhaps if Apple were to push 4K videos as consumer-ready and Youtube was readily available in 1080p minimum, I think it may work.
  20. @ruantec

My problem is that i see no use of there super hardware even tho. i find there software design excellent. I would be happier with a x86 one but as we know they are far from perfect and let alone software... hence why i decided to do that myself to fit my needs.