snicko's X99 Broadwell-E build

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by snickothemule, Jul 18, 2016.

1. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Fellas, I'm building a new workstation and looking for anyone's opinions. Highlighted red are already purchased.

CPU: Intel 6800k
    GPU: AMD Sapphire R9 Nano
    MB: Gigabyte X99 Designare EX
    RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 2x8gb (2400mhz) (dual channel now, quad later on)
    OS Drive: Samsung 950 Pro m.2 250gb
    Case: beQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900
    Cooling: Corsair H110i
    PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 Gold 750w

Reasons for the 750w psu, basically the long ass warranty and to account for loss in power over the long term. My current 650w psu is still going strong for my 2500k build but I'm going bigger for redundancy. I really don't see myself doing too many upgrades in the next 5 years, the m.2 drives are very good currently and the new mb's have U.2 slots.

My biggest issue is the mobo. The MSI Pro Carbon looks good, but as far as I can tell there are issues with USB devices disconnecting randomly, along with MSI not having official support for windows 10. From the brief research I've done, the rest of the board is great but the bios has problems.

The rad as hell Gigabyte Phoenix with gaudy led's might be okay, but I'm not a fan of the orange. The P model evidently cannot upgrade the bios without a compatible chip and the 6800k isn't on that list.

The Aus X99A-II might be the right model, but I'm having issues finding reviews for this board.

I'm not super boned up on mobo's so if anyone has any input about the current field of X99 boards I'm very much looking forward to your opinions. I'll be doing my own research of course, I'm just keen for your say.

----------------

For reference, this machine is primarily used for CAD, rendering, photo editing, some gaming and 10 bit animes (not srs). I'm not going for a 6700k, I'm after a few more cores for workflow and there is more than enough power for gaming on the 6800k. No Crossfire or SLI so I don't need the extra lanes, the other drives will be SSD's and a few mass storage WD Blacks from my current machine.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    kenmasters1983 likes this.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

I would def go Asus for mobo and don't skimp and get a cheaper model. You will love that fractal case I am using it right now and it has fit all my needs, only other case I can recommend is the Be Quiet! Dark Base 900

only because I love that window
    [​IMG]
    Side panel: Elegant full windowed side panel made of tinted and tempered glass. Eye-catching LED illumination with five switchable colors. The illumination can be freely positioned.
  4. snickothemule

The 900 is an amazing chassis and I'd seriously love it, but it might push my budget a bit too far.

Looking around a bit more at mobo's I'd say the Asus X99A II and the Gigabyte Designaire EX are the two serious contenders. Looking at newegg reviesws, the Asus boards suffer from long post times and the Designaire may suffer from poor packaging, resulting in some damaged components.

The designaire is $100 more has 2x U.2 connectors but due to the limitations of the 6800k one of them is disabled with use. The U.2 shares the PCIE_2 slot and the m.2 shares the PCIE_3 slot.

The issue with the ASUS is you can only use the m.2 or u.2 one at a time. This might give the designaire an advantage in the future, however due to the 28 lane nature of the 6800k that might not be an issue.

I might be leaning toward the Gigabyte at this time, the extra 100 might sound like a lot, but the board is in a higher class than the A II and the built in processor on board compensates for the lack of full 40 lane support of the cpu. Considering I'd have to spend another 400 to get those features on the CPU, that sounds alright.
  5. snickothemule

Alright ended up going Gigabyte, the cost for the board is pretty good right now and I'm ending up with some features which could save me in 5 years time. Being able to simultaneously run m.2 and U.2 slots is pretty good.

The last thing is cooling. The ek predator 240 looks alright, but I've heard some issues regarding leaking. The Corsair 110/115i is supposed to offer gnarly performance whereas the fans will turn your ears into goo.
  6. Yeloazndevil

most people swap out the fans for something better and the fractal define r5 does reduce a lot of fan noise unless you mount the radiator to the top of the case then you will hear the fans
  7. snickothemule

I guess I'm trying to avoid adding an extra $70 in noctua fans, preferably I'd like to get an AIO which has a well rounded db at idle and something sensible at load. From what I gather, the Coolermaster Neptom 240m and 280l are quite good in this field. The Kraken x61 is additionally a competitive product.

Higher cost units like the EK Predator and the Swiftech 240 with expandable features seem good on paper, however I'm unlikely to utilize those features and would probably get better value from the units which sit in the AU$190 bracket.

It's just a pain in the ass to filter through reviews to try and find that one unit that is consistently quiet and cool.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  8. snickothemule

Alright I think I'm set on the Corsair H115i, fan noise seems great and that big ass radiator means the fans shouldn't have to go over 50% for real world use.

Now to stop myself from buying the In Win 805 Infinity.
  9. snickothemule

I've been doing some culling over the weekend of potential cases and I think I'm going to end up with one of the be Quiet! cases. If I go all out I can get the Dark Base 900, fully tricked out, tonnes of storage capacity, good sound isolation and looks rad as hell. The phone charger is great, but my Z5 doesn't support it.

The other is the 800, the first case they put on the market, looks like a solid bit of kit, is about half the price but doesn't have that full framed window.

I'm not in a rush, but I'll be damned if this decision isn't hard to make. It's likely the last PC I'll be putting together, and I doubt I'd have compatibility issues with a big fuckoff case like the 900, but it may result in placement issues down the line should I find a new place to live.

Ah the wonders of having eyes that love shiny things.

Show Spoiler
    I'll probably get the 900
  10. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Ah the joys of building a pc.

I love it.
    @Snicko this is a serious build, nice and hopefully you squeeze a lot of years from it without problems.
  11. snickothemule

I hope so too, I don't want to be changing components any time soon. Maybe the GPU later down the track, but even then I think I'm happy with the nano's performance thus far.

Well I've ordered the last parts, this thing turned out to be a pretty powerful box. I went through the midrange phase when I could afford it, now that I've got over a decade of work under my belt and I don't have any debt I thought this might be worthwhile to set up my future. Seeing as majority of my work is with content creation in engineering, and I hobby with photos and rendering, might as well get the most out of it.
  12. snickothemule

Power is going through the system, all fans and lights are on, hdd's spin up easily enough, however when the 7th ram slot is used (required for dual channel mode with 3rd slot) the machine endlessly power loops. Using one slot it spins up fine, but there's no video or post.

Cocksucker. Now I gotta take everything apart to try and diagnose this crap. Fucking computers man.

I'm going to try and get another monitor to try this on, I've never had much luck with my Crossover Gold with bios stuff, there's something off with how it displays that sort of thing, but when I connected this piece of shit to my tv, no video.

I may have to RMA this board, the faulty RAM slot is not acceptable to me.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  13. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Ow i see even snicko is building a monster, though sorry to hear that your running into issues, and yes better to RMA it, you never know when you'll need that RAM slot.
  14. Yeloazndevil

yea I ran into major issues when I built a pc in late 2012, RMA'd the mobo and didn't want anything to do with pc's and got new parts 1 year later
  15. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Yeah that's such a bummer.
    It's harder for me because I usually can't rma back to USA where I get my parts, so everytime is a gamble when buying stuff.
    That's why I try to buy the good brands.
  16. snickothemule

I've sent in a request and the seller has requested photos of the CPU socket. From my understanding Gigabyte have a policy that if there are bent pins then they will not accept returns.

Fortunately there aren't any bent pins on my board, but I feel stupid for not taking a photo straight away just in case. I've heard stories (could be fabrications however) where boards are arriving with bent pins due to poor packaging standards.

Hopefully mine will go through okay.
  17. Yeloazndevil

and thats how you lose customers, shoddy warranty
  18. snickothemule

Indeed. For a deluxe board the warranty and diagnostic features are garbage.

Thankfully the reseller has been very kind and accepted my request. I might eventually get my dream rig built afterall.
  19. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

That happens, but over here they still refuse to service your product if it was damaged during shipping.
    I've been looking at warranties due to the issue I recently mentioned with my 390, and this is something that comes up in the RMA forms. They mention (separately) that bent products won't be accepted, and that products damaged during shipping will be ignored and sent back. They put full responsibility on shipping on the sender (and recommend paying extra to be refunded the price of the item by the postal service if they break your shit).

The RMA process is just so annoying, overall.
  20. snickothemule

[​IMG]
  21. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

That's some bad engrish right there, but it might be fixed with a bios update, do you still have the board ? See if updating to the latest bios fixes it...