snicko's X99 Broadwell-E build

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by snickothemule, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

I'm not sure what they mean by Anti-static bag. Maybe that it's normal that they don't ship with an Anti-static bag.
    Then, I think they ask to confirm if the monitor/motherboard doesn't show a display when the 7th slot is used.
    Then confirm that every other slot works fine.
    Then ask to check the bios version, that the latest is version F3, and that it fix some memory issues.
    Then he says that most of the issues encountered aren't hardware-related, but bios issues (90% of them). So that if they test it and it isn't hardware-related but Bios related, they'll send back the same motherboard to you.

Either that or he had a stroke and you should call 911.
  2. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

I thought Snicko was joking, its engrish but its easy to tell what he tried to say.

He said that the warranty requires you to send it back with all packaging, the only exception to this is the antistatic bag (though if you do send it back i'd recommend using that as well).
    After which he asks if the mobo will POST when using the 7th Slot. Last but not least he goes saying that the issue with the 7th slot is common for this board and was fixed with the F3 bios update, and if you do send the mobo it will probably end with them doing the update and sending it back to you.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  3. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

I'm not sure he confirms that this issue in particular (7th slot) is fixed, only that the Bios fixes memory-issues related in general. So, it might help and he recommends doing it before sending it.
    But yes, I know that Snicko was most likely joking. It just that this gave me a headache to try and understand, so I figured I might as well say what I understood. ;)
  4. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Updating the bios should be one of the first steps to troubleshoot a mb, I think Snicko has already done this...
  5. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

lmao

The board has already been sent back as it does not post. Since there's no video it's very difficult to perform any bios updates, Gigabyte trying to go through troubleshooting with some solid ass engrish.

But they need to look at it, there's no diagnostic tool set on the board, no error codes so the end user is left in the dark a bit.

EDIT:

Awesome, the reseller has accurately conveyed my issues to Gigabyte's RMA process so hopefully things should be moving smoothly.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  6. snickothemule

LMAO it's been around 3 weeks since I've started this process, the board has been with Gigabyte since Saturday and I haven't heard a thing.

fuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark!
  7. Strike105X

Well warranty service can easily take up to 2 weeks, its when it gets to 4 that it starts to be a problem.... To be honest though i personally stay away from gigabyte for high tier hardware, when going for low to mid tier boards they do have some decent options but they certainly wouldn't be my pick for higher end tier.
  8. Silenus

I think Snicko will pick Asus next time. :p
  9. Strike105X

Well unfortunately when it comes to high tier hardware there's no real safe bet (that said Asus is a lot safer, even Asrock is lol), i swear i've seen a lot more problems with high tier boards then mid and low end ones lol.
  10. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

not like asus is any better, it all comes down to is the person who is soldering on parts to the mobo if that person does a good job or even cares.
  11. snickothemule

It lives!

It finally f****g lives!

I'll post some pics and results soon, but for now I'm just happy this exercise is finally coming to an end. Now I've got a 4tb drive coming in to replace my two WD blacks, and I've pulled another Seagate 500gb from my first HTPC for a total of 4.5tb of mechanical drives, 480gb of SSD and 256gb of nvme storage.

Happy days.
  12. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Took quite long... sadly i don't have the patience to wait such a long time.
  13. ElijahTW

ElijahTW NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

It's what happens when everything we buy is assembled in a plant that has to install nets to prevent people from jumping off the roof to kill themselves. I wouldn't give a fuck either if I was being paid $0.50 an hour and constantly thinking of ending my own life.
  14. snickothemule

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I port my data to my new drive which has yet to arrive, I'll do a minor cable cleanup, get the ram issue sorted out and close the box with the tempered glass side.

Feels good to be this close to finishing. The windows install was lightning fast with the nvme drive, the boost over a regular SSD is pretty delicious.
    Kaizen and Thanakil like this.
  15. Silenus

I thought everybody moved on from lights on cases. :p

That could light up my whole room.
  16. snickothemule

haha yeah. I normally leave them off, however it's pretty good to turn them on to see how clean everything is. The lighting in my study is exceptionally poor and it gets hard to see sometimes.

It's pretty quick to install the led strips and super easy to control.
  17. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

ewwwwwwwwwww leds on PC are so out :p i don't even know how my PC looks like anymore since i rarely go to that room :p
  18. snickothemule

smell that? It's the smell of jealousy.
    Silenus likes this.
  19. Kaizen

Kaizen Yes Award Winner!

Love the pc!

You guys didn't get the memo, RGB is the new in thing for motherboards, graphics cards and cases in 2016. All the big makers are touting RGB as the biggest selling point.
    If anything, this is the second age of ricer lighting since the 2008 era of gofaster fans.

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler

ohmygod he said ricer.

U bet I did!
    Vtec just kicked in yo
    Silenus and snickothemule like this.
  20. snickothemule

oh just get fucked i ordered a 4tb platter drive and the i/o interface is doa. Two different machines could not get the drive to initialize.

i'm f****g cursed.