[solved] ePSXe_64 Linux What's the point ?

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by othmay, Mar 31, 2017.

1. othmay

othmay New Member

Hi all,

So first of all let's introduce my config quickly. Using Bodhi linux x64 (a minimalist ubuntu approach for whom might not know). Using a i7 at 2.8g max (sry dont remember the serial) with 8gb ram and geforce 340m on a dell latitude laptop. I was previously using PCSX-R but wanted to switch for ePSXe considering infos I got online.
    And so I downloaded an executable of epsxe 64 (found on this forum) cause the official release seems to not compile properly on Ubuntu (and forks). But anyway everything seems to work (emulator-wise) but since I use the 64 bit version I think that 32 bit plugin wont work and even if games work (chrono cross in my case) with default plugins. I would like to know if I want to add shaders I'll have to use external plugins (as peops one) since I read somewhere here that with default plugins shaders will only stick to 1 (on a scale of 1-4).
    So to be minimalist as well my question is what is the point of 64 bit version if so limited in plugins (or is there a workaround), because at the end of it I can play properly but wanted a 'better' version of my games.
    Thankfully,
    Othmay.

Ps : I ain't no professional linux devs so I might not understand somethings but eager to learn so don't hesitate.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

If the opengl plugin for epsxe 2.0.5 is the same as the windows one it is the "newest" version of the Pete's OpenGL2 plugin (one of the most used external graphics plugin). Which should handle shaders just fine.
  4. othmay

othmay New Member

Yeah I know about pete opengl2 its the one I always use but how to use it on a 64bit emulator since it is 32bit plugin (from what I know) ?

ps: and thank you to take the time :)
  5. brandleesee

brandleesee New Member

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  6. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

Out of curiosity does it crash out like that if you run the 32 bit version in 64 bit linux? With the OpenGL on the 32 bit version in 64 bit linux?
  7. othmay

othmay New Member

@brandleesee : double thanks to you bro. First one for your answer and second one for packing epsxe_64 in an executable for Ubuntu, if I am not mistaking I am pretty sure you are the one that at least pointed out on another post. But since I said it you understand that bioshle : 1 was already set :cool: (I just don't get why not use a bios image instead of the emulator one ?). But I grabed back the shaders since I messed around with it. It won't hurt to clean it up a bit. But just to be clear, only the default plugins are available because of 64 bit install ? that is actually ok for me to play this way, just wanted to be sure to had explore as much as possible with this new 64 version of epsxe.

@acdbrn2000 : The crash is emulator/plugins comptability not linux/emu. So nop, no crash for a 32 install on 64 machine/linux. In the case of a 32 bit opengl on a 64 linux to be honest i dont know, but why would you do that ? (I am a noob, not condescending ;))

Edit : Still no Custom shaders for me ?_?. I dont know why but still :).
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  8. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

Because although you have to install 32bit libraries to get 32bit programs to work in 64bit distros (it has been over 5 years since I seriously messed around in linux so this may have changed), it seems you want the advantages of the plugins that are not compatible with the 64bit version (the "better version").

I don't think epsxe is coded in a way that gains any advantage running in 64bit, unlike dolphin for example. The 64bit version only seems to be for compatibility reasons since for all the advantages that the fragmentation of linux allows, consistancy and availability of certain features across all distros is not one of them. There are probably distros that can not run any 32bit programs and have no way of installing the i386 libraries. There are users who don't understand running a virtual machine or how to setup dual boot. So for those reasons a 64bit version exists.
  9. othmay

othmay New Member

oki, then you answerd my post. no actual point for me to use the 64 bit version thanks I shall go back to the 32 bit one which does not require any special libaries in my case at least. I was really wondering if I was gaining any power through the 64 bit brain or my computer. But now I know, 64 for the show ^^ and 32 for the power I will try dolphin aswell though. Wasnt that succesful under 32 bit.
    thanks again both of you.
    Othmay.
  10. brandleesee

brandleesee New Member

To be completely honest, I did not try that. Reason being that I wanted to drive on with everything being x64.
    However, when testing with Pete's plugins,
    Code:
    --add-architecture i386
    was still included.

@othmay well because of illegal usage of proprietary bios

@othmay yes, only those because since most shaders are still designed to match Pete's plugins.... (I may be mistaken on this)

And you're welcome, too! :D