Sony Vaio Tap 20 Reviewed

Discussion in 'Hardware Reviews' started by @ruantec, May 21, 2013.

1. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Sony Vaio Tap 20:
    The device can only be described with one single word "Awesome". However not perfect as you will realize during this small post.

Display:
    The 20" IPS Display put my old LCD Monitor to shame. The Display is very crisp and text is very readable. The Colors are great as well as the Image Quality provided by it. Even being only 20" it feels better than that and far better than my 24" Monitor. In fact it feels just perfect in my opinion.

[​IMG]

Connectivity:
    The Vaio Tap 20 have 2x USB 3.0 ports, Headphone jack, line-in, 1x Card slot and 1x Ethernet. The biggest dissapointment is that it doesn't have any Display connectivity and the lack of HDMI really hurts.

[​IMG]

Sound:
    The Sound is surpricingly nice and when Dolby Digital is activated it just get better. However proper Speakers are the way to go if your Sound Needs require better ones like in my case.

Design:
    I personally love the design even if reminds me a bit the iPad. Sadly the back is made of plastic but it gives a solid Feeling. There is a small part that you can remove to Access the battery, RAM and HDD. The stand is the best one i've ever seen on such devices... it allows you to positionate the device in almost every angle and it just stays there(props to Sony for that one).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Camera:
    There is a front camera available but the Image Quality is as good as useless so it's clear that it was made for some Video Chat but not for taking everyday Pictures.

Bundle:
    When you open the box you get the device itself and a Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse. That is actually everything you get in the box as no Software or Driver is bundled. There is a recovery Partition containing Windows and the Drivers to recover anytime but apart from that is all you get. The Keyboard and mouse works surprisingly well and i'm using it right now to write this post.

[​IMG]

Touch Screen:
    The Screen is not just big but also works surprisingly well. Touch is very accurate and i tested up to 10 Points without issue.

[​IMG]

Performance:
    The Vaio Tap 20 is obviously not a powerhouse but it has enough power under the Hood to handle applications and some games. Emulators run just great except PCSX2 which have some slowdowns. Surprisingly enough Dolphin runs incredibly well and i get full Speed while playing Zelda Twilight princess. Two PC games tested so far works great too such as the new DmC and Super Street fighter IV.

Desktop Performance is great too but interestingly enough i found some Performance issues on my app(@ruanTuber) that render it almost useless on it due to design flaws i made while designing it. After optimizing my code i got it to work smooth tho. here is a Video of the comparison before and after the optimization:

Normal applications run fine but applications that use rich UI require some work by the coders in order to improve the experience which is actually nothing bad. In fact properly designed Desktop applications can run great if coded properly as shown here in the early optimized Version of @ruanTuberHD which use richer and bigger Icons but provide 60% Rendering Performance increasement while having lower CPU usage:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apps and Compatibility:
    Compatibility is obviously perfect and since you have the full Windows experience there is no Need of any silly and restricted app store that try to suck your Money pocked as much as it can so that is definitely a plus.

Battery life:
    Battery life is nice but obviously far from the likes of a tablet. With optimal Settings and lower brightness i managed to get 3 hours and when i use the optimal Settings for my Needs i get about 1 and half. For my Needs that is more than enough tho.

Weight:
    Since i use this device as my main System i'm really glad to be able to carry it around here without any issues and since i have tons of energy plugs around i always have the possibility to plug it in if the battery is low. However i didn't bought this device to carry it on the streets so that is what the ASUS VivoTab Smart is here for ;)

While the device may look heavy in reality it isn't that heavy. In fact my old Flat LCD Monitor is far heavier and to complete the Combo my daughter carry the device around like nothing here so that you get an idea. The device is incredibly confortable even on the lap thanks to the dynamic stand included and the experience is very enjoyable.

Contras:
    The device is awesome but not perfect. The lack of HDMI really hurts and it would be nice having one but there is a secret.... the device have Intel's WiDi!!!! however as awesome as that may Sound there is something you should know. People like me that own a TV WiDi capable are still unable to use it as a alternative to the lack of HDMI which will be awesome and here is simply the reason:

[​IMG]

The System includes WiDi but for some silly reasons Intel doesn't have working Drivers for Windows 8 lol!!!! a big facepalm for that one.

Conclusion:
    If you aren't one of those who Need to Play the latest games or Need a new GPU every month but want a light-weight and silent replacement for your power hungry Monster sitting somewhere in your house then the Vaio Tab 20 is for you. The device is powerful enough to replace your main Computer any time but if you are a hardcore PC gamer then you better skip it.

The Sony Vaio Tap 20 is by far the best purchase i've ever made and totally recommend it to all those that want a Computer for daily Tasks and some casual game but that don't Need super loud and powerful energy hungry Monsters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

With that cable coming out of it in that one pic it doesn't look like something one can have on one's lap in front of the couch though.
  4. @ruantec

The Vaio Tab 20 is cable free except for the Charge one and as explained is insanely confortable on the lap(quite interesting tho. since it doesn't give that impression). The cables you see on the pics are from my headphones and from custom boxes i use to listen Music while on that table but apart from the Charge cable there are no cables as you can see here.

[​IMG]

As explained in one of my post the device is interestingly enough the most confortable device me and my wife ever had on the lap and the ability to Change the Screen angle just makes the experience even better. I can understand that it sounds not possible since the device give the Impression like is very unconfortable and heavy but once you have it on your lap you're like "WTF?" as one must own one to believe how good it really is and feel on the lap.
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  5. SCHUMI_4EVER

And the stand, how does that work when you just want to hold it normally? does it fold away?
  6. @ruantec

The stand fold away so to say when you hold it normally and even if you Change it's angle you can positionate it on the table or your lap and is very confortable to Play games with both Hands. I recently beated BlazBlue on my lap using the touch controls.
  7. SCHUMI_4EVER

Wish I could drive over and try yours out XD, sucks that with us being magnetically opposite that's not an option.
  8. @ruantec

Indeed, would love to have some of you guys near me such as you, Silenus and few others here.
  9. FoxSevent

FoxSevent Not a Registered User

O.O dear god for that money i could get a very high end PC.
    Would love to have it, it would be more powerful then my current PC :D
    Shame i don't have that kind of money for such trinkets.
  10. niku

niku niku

you forgot to post the specifications of the device. plz post em