SoundFont (GM replacement) suggestions?

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by Titus03, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Titus03

Titus03 Registered MSX user Award Winner!

I'm using mainly Yamaha SW1000XG for composing music, which is great, but I'd like to try to do something with my X-Fi board, too.

Compared to XG, default general MIDI (GM) 4MB SoundFonts sounds poor. So, I'm looking for a freeware SoundFont collection (*.SF2), which replaces the default GM. I have already found Chorium, which is a way better, but isn't very impressive. I have also downloaded Fluid, but it seems to be available in older format only (not compatible).

My question is: What would you recommend as GM replacement SoundFont? I'm not looking for single instrument SoundFonts.

If there is nothing better around, I'll stay with Chorium.

Thanks in advance.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Utopia Live! version 2.0

It used to be available for about $30 but since the sites no longer available and therefore purchase info, you can go torrent it, i consider it to be abandonware.

btw, Titus, maybe you can answer this

What is the difference between Stereo ID Percussion and Stereo Panning Percussion?

I can't seem to tell a difference (unless i use Piano Enhanced Stereo panning percussion....)
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  4. Titus03

Titus03 Registered MSX user Award Winner!

Thanks Squall for your suggestion. :thumb:

Finally had some time to take a look at your question.

The name "Stereo Panning Percussion" tells a lot. I needed to make sure if my hypothesis was in right direction, so I recorded a couple of samples of same MIDI-file with both ID/Panning Percussion. Stereo Panning Percussion produced a panning effect between left and right channel. I can't say how it's made. It would take some time to find it out for example with Vienna SoundFont Studio.

I took screenshots of waveform views and spectrums of both samples.
  5. Squall-Leonhart

Its a great sound font, i only had 1.3 before, but i nabbed the 2.0 WDM builds a couple of nights ago, im loving the enhanced piano reverb, sounds great on the FFX Intro!

I only have 1 midi which is problematic, (one of the Cruel Angel's Thesis midi's) but thats because its buggy. (makes a bell tingling noise instead of drumkit o_O)
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  6. Rebel_X

Rebel_X Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ 龍我雷 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

how about the XG soundFonts. just search google about them..

IMHO, XG is a bada$$, and beats GM format, stick to XG or get the XG software synthesizer, or virtual midi programs, mixed with VST host plugin capable softwares you can make wonders.. there is also XG VST software synthesizer plugin too..

Edit:
    ====
    Off-Topic:

Listen to this from final fantasy 7 from both PSX and PC versions, tell me which is better.

PC with Yamaha XG sound card (suggest visit youtube and add &fmt=18 it makes difference really)

PSX version
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  7. Spyhop

Spyhop New Member

psx version fo sho

It's not a matter of which soundfont was better. Uematsu composed that music with the PSX in mind. It sounds awesome on the PSX. The PC version, even with better sound founds, is trying to copy an original piece as closely as possible and because it's doing that it sounds somewhat wrong.
  8. Rebel_X

Rebel_X Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ 龍我雷 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

whether what you said is true or not about Uematsu, the difference between pc/psx versions are obvious in this case, for me, when played the game 10 years ago, I used to have XG card, it gave me quality not even OSTs could get close to it. for example, in PC version of cosmo canyon sound track, there is chorus effect for tribal men similar to native indians or something, that gives more beauty to the game, not found in PSX or PC with normal sound fonts. :( let alone One-Winged angel..
  9. Squall-Leonhart

Utopia Live is as close to the PSX as you can get.
  10. Spyhop

Spyhop New Member

Think on it like this, it's like trying to imitate DaVinci with Maya 3D. I'm sure you can create some some breathtaking art with Maya 3D, but you'll never make another perfect Mona Lisa.
  11. Squall-Leonhart

Wrong, very wrong, infact sound fonts have been made available which replicate the PSF music 1:1.
  12. Spyhop

Spyhop New Member

k, so?
  13. Squall-Leonhart

14. Spyhop

Spyhop New Member

I should be doing the same. You're missing my point entirely.