Starting BIOS boot before CDROM/ISO

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by Josh86, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Josh86

Josh86 New Member

--
    EDIT

Got it. I completely forgot about command line options. It looks like the "-slowboot" switch works. The BIOS now plays before the media. :D.
    --

Anyone know a way to have the Playstation system boot (bios, white with Sony logo, then black screen with Playstation logo) and run before a CDROM/image?

I know there is the option to run the BIOS by itself in order to access memory card management and the CD player -- but I wanted to know if there was a way to have the BIOS/boot-up play on a CDROM/image load. Maybe the solution is a custom FE loader or something?
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. doom_2er

doom_2er New Member

Yep, -slowboot will show the sony playstation logo just before the game loads.
  4. pixg

pixg New Member

I can't get this to work and i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong :s
  5. Shendo

Shendo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What exactly are you doing?
    You need to make a shortcut to ePSXe and add -slowboot in the "Target:" section.
  6. Brent161

Brent161 New Member

I have tried this but it does not work. I run the games from ISOs and the game immediately starts without the startup regardless of if i have -slowboot or not.
  7. Josh86

Josh86 New Member

I just downloaded the most recent version of ePSXe (2.0.5 for Windows) about 10 minutes ago and it works.

1.) Create a shortcut of epsxe.exe
    2.) Right click to open properties of that shortcut
    3.) Edit the target line by adding the "-slowboot" switch (e.g. ...\ePSXe205\ePSXe.exe -slowboot)
    4.) Run your ISO (I tested mine with and without the swtich on the shortcut, it booted the Sony bios with the switch on just fine)

Be sure you don't have any other GUI, script, or switch setting that might be enabling fastboot. If you look in the help files (which needs a little updating) there's another switch, "-f" to enable fastboot. Something to look into if it's still not working. Another wild possibility is it's loading straight from a savestate from the beginning of the game, but I'd think you'd notice that.

I can't think of anything else. I can confirm that the slowboot switch is still present in 2.0.5 for Windows.

The android version has a flag/field right in the options for booting the bios on startup, they never seemed to have added that into the GUI for Windows it seems, so you'll have to get that command line switch working.
    acdbrn2000 likes this.
  8. SquishyPotatoe

SquishyPotatoe New Member

Guys, this thread is almost 4 years old
  9. Josh86

Josh86 New Member

Aware. I started the thread. At least he used the search.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  10. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

Can I just add how amazing it is to see someone who had a question 4 years ago come back and help a new user to the forums with the same question after all that time.

Btw side question: What use is the bios boot sequence when you are loading a game? I understand using it for the memory card manager, but being able to skip it is one of the nice advantages I like compared to my PSone or PSX console (though savestates rank #1).
  11. FoxSevent

FoxSevent Not a Registered User

Nostalgia, plus don't tell that this doesn't make you squeal every time you hear it.
  12. acdbrn2000

acdbrn2000 New Member

To each their own I guess, but I think I've had too many years of listing to it. All of sony's startup sounds remind me too much of the "audience is now deaf" THX or Dolby Sound things in theaters. Which, to be fair, was very nice at the time (CD audio being all the rage)