The Health Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by snickothemule, Feb 21, 2016.

1. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Aye yall, time for another health and fitness thread. Come talk about your current routines, foods your eating.....or fuk whatever.

---------------------

I'll get the ball rolling.

At the start of the year I decided to try the pescatarian diet, or adhere to it as best I can. On top of this I wanted to cut out dairy almost entirely.

I had put on 4kg over the 2 weeks of Christmas/New Years holidays and generally feeling like arse. I've been wanting to adjust my food intake for months, but didn't give myself the headspace to make life changes.

So, here's what I've discovered since making the switch.

1. I feel lighter, not eating meats has left me feeling quite comfortable after meals and I don't feel as tired.

2. Pricing. Instead of meat I add lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans and anything of the like. A can of beans runs about 75c. A steak can get up to 10x that. My wallet am happy.

3. Food is more enjoyable. Anecdotally, my taste buds are much happier, the flavour from vegetables is much more noticeable and I seem happier having half a dozen veggies on my plate than a dumb steak.

4. No dairy is amazing. Too much dairy was making me stink, literally. After a toasted cheese sambo (GOAT comfy food) I'd feel greasy and my sweat would smell a bit. Cutting dairy out in virtually all forms leaves me feeling less clogged up.

5. Almond milk owns and makes coffee so much tastier.

Additionally I thought it would be hard to source alternative foods, particularly for things like icecream or what to put in my coffee. Thankfully I've found some things like Be Good icecream which is based on soy and cane sugar. It's nowhere near as satisfying as god tier ice cream, but it is still delicious. Sorbet still rules.

TL;DR pescatarian diet is enjoyable.

The best thing, combined with my training (which now includes 2 fasting training sessions a week) I've been able to drop about 4-5kg in 6 weeks. Something I'd never thought I would do.
    Nightmare and @ruantec like this.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Hyuga

Hyuga Classic Games Lover

I was on a vegetarian diet for 5 weeks last year, generally felt ok, but thing that put me off was having to look for any animal ingrediets in foods, plus I was lazy to shop and prepare the food every day. I ended up eating chips/wedges most often, so I quit it.
  4. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

I didn't notice weight gains as I used one of those retro-style weight balance from like 20 years ago. Went with an electronic balance (much more precise). Apparently I had gained 3 kilos last year, on top of an earlier gain not gotten rid of. Time to cut the excess.

What I do now:
    - I'm back on light, less frequent eating habbits. Keto looked like a better option than classic fasting in cycles of 2 days, and surviving on lettuce and tap water.
    - jog with neighbours in the nearby park during weekends, when we're not at farm.

Planning to:
    - picking up a pedometer/fitness tracker (likely Miband) for passively tracking walking activity without draining phone battery. It's too easy to slack when you're not keeping track.
    - joining a local fitness club with a swimming pool that organizes group sessions with trainers.

About Keto, its pretty much 'diet without sacrifice'. Couple recommended low-carb food below:
    http://ketogasm.com/ultimate-low-carb-vegetables-list/
  5. shinra358

shinra358 Member

wtf lol. take your showers at night. that way you won't take your daily germs with you in your supposed resting place. If the body is trying to rest and heal, it doesn't need to fight off what is in your bed. Also, it's good for you skin to not let germs you collect during the day sit on your face all night. Use the white deodorant not he gel. Gel never lasts long.

Need that animal meat for your strength son. Bean protein only gonna make you weak as &^%$.

I usually just follow the food groups as best I can. I only spend $150 a month for me and my kid and there's still a lil food left over going to waste (spoiling) near the end of the month. I drink a glass of water before eating every meal (technically 200pd ppl need almost 2 gallons of water day day which never gets reached but at least this is helping trying to get there). Then I make sure I have a meat with 3 to 4 sides. Then I make sure I drink my juice or milk last (no more soda's for me except for the occasional root beer or cream sode). Carrots and some type of green EVERY NIGHT for dinner for eyesight and easy poop outtage. Fish nights tues and thurs. Beef nights weds and saturdays. Chicken nights mons and fridays. Sunday fast with only salads, fruits, soups. Lunch is leftovers from the previous night(s). Breaksfasts are usually cereal, outmeal, fruit salad (w/whip cream), pancakes/waffles, alternating every day. My body is ready. All that's left is getting back into the exercise full body routines for 2 hours every other day :p

PS, never just eat a whole plate of macaroni or a whole plate of chicken without sides. Not filling the other areas with other food groups will make you spend more money because you'll eat more because you'll still be hungry.
  6. snickothemule

i shower twice a day (let me aware you on cold showers) and get animal proteins from fish and eggs bruh
  7. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

I eat spareribs regulary, bread with bacon and eggs almost daily in the morning, eat jogurt, cheese, drink Coca Cola, eat steaks like a boss, eat Plantain with almost everything with it and most specially a lot of meat, I eat maniok like crazy with tons of meat too, i don't have a diet nor plan any in the near future, i eat 4-5 times a day and my body keeps strong like iron. I made a health check recently and i'm as healthy and strong as a bull.

I am a bad boy, i'm a boss.... but that's just me.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    snickothemule likes this.
  8. shinra358

shinra358 Member

Cold showers!? Yeouch! I'd rather get shot lol.
    Eessh, my body xD

@ruantec: aiiiight, red cyclone. lol.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  9. snickothemule

It's rough the first time, but very quickly it becomes very enjoyable. Once your body acclimates to the temperature, the cold isn't noticeable and it becomes comfortable.

The benefits are awesome. Huge energy boost for the day, lowers depression, helps you sleep better, improves circulation, increases test, keeps hair and skin nice, allows you to deal with stress and confrontation better (srs), cold showers are OP.
    Hy-Def, Silenus and shinra358 like this.
  10. ElijahTW

ElijahTW NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Yeah, but does an erection acclimate to the cold? :p
  11. snickothemule

my boner spirit says yes
  12. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Yeah bro :p
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  13. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

I don't have a diet or something similar, I just eat properly raised food, be it vegies or meat, lots of farmers and peasants here to buy this stuff from here. I avoid stores for buying food, only go for natural things.

As for a gym its not worth it, I do enough weight lifting at work.
    @ruantec likes this.
  14. Hyuga

Hyuga Classic Games Lover

Many people say that 'I just do stuff at work, I don't need the gym' but they are terribly wrong... Work gives you nothing in regards to fitness and well being, unless you're fitness instructor yourself I guess, but work in general has a negative impact here. Gym is not lifting heavy objects BTW.
  15. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

While that part was not really meant to be taken that seriously, it was mostly a joke, i kind of disagree, this is because i definitely leveled up my STR a lot since working here, this is because my job requires a lot of physical manipulation and force put in.
  16. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Mr. Technological Staff Member Moderator

Nothing much, cut down on or cut out a lot of unhealthy crap I don't really need. Going for walks regularly, incorporating a bit of jogging into my walks and staying active. Drinking more water than I was. Down to 360lbs from 450lbs - 500lbs. Feel some of my muscle becoming firmer and clothes are becoming looser. Still binge snack/eat once in awhile although I don't eat regular, sometimes skipping meals and I'm not really gaining weight since I've been so active.

If I can stick to it I'm going to cut down on or cut out altogether on chips, sweet snacks, soda and stick to healthy foods, drinks. Increase frequency and duration of my walks/jogs, do some crunches and other fat burning, muscle building exercises.
  17. Hy-Def

Hy-Def Chubbychu. (AKA Pikachu-bby (AKA Pikachu-BBW))

Agreed 100%.

Back during the Harmattan, I used to keep a bucket of water overnight. Take a bath with it the next morning, cold as f. Very soon I began to enjoy it, maybe I was wrong, but I felt like it was burning fat and carving out my abs for me. :p
    snickothemule likes this.
  18. snickothemule

It does allow you to burn more fat, by lowering your body temperature, it has to work harder to maintain temps or something. This in effect burns more energy.

cold washing are cheat codes for life
    Hy-Def likes this.
  19. Xtreme2damax

I just put on a shirt that used to be a lot smaller/tighter and it's now loose on me and fits perfect. :D

I wish I could stick to a consistent diet and avoid soda, chips, sweets or anything else hight in fat, cals or sodium. If I could stick with something and stayed active the weight would drop much quicker. It seems atm I've hovering around 360lbs.
  20. snickothemule

Awesome!

Changing habits can be difficult, personally I fall into old traps time and time again, however being persistent over the long run has so many benefits. However, it can be achievable if you set yourself realistic goals. It's worthwhile to note down your final weight goal and set yourself achievable markers along the way.

-----------------------

-Let's presume your goal is to get to 250lbs and your time frame is 24 months. That equates to about 5lbs per month or 2.0 - 2.5kg. That is challenging, but probably doable.

-The next task could be weights for 3 months, 6 months, etc etc. Consider these achievement markers.

-Now here comes the challenging part. Write down your current caloric intake, go line up all the food you have for a typical day, including the foods you know you want to cut down on. Have a look at the labels and then mark down how much you eat on a typical day.

-You should now have a daily caloric intake for your current habits, which should explain your current weight (or be a piece of the puzzle). This is the tricky, but achievable part where you need to stage your lowered caloric intake.

-Try and work out how much you need to reduce for each of these markers to sustainable drop those 4 or 5 pounds (assumed weight loss target).

All of this is to give you frame work to guide you. Along the way it's easy to fall off the wagon, I do all the time, but by having framework in place you can always go back to it. It's good practice to set up a diary for these goals. Write down what you are feeling (it really helps) at each of these stages, by doing this you have something to go back to in the months to come to compare your mental state and see how far you've come.

Use this thread, or start one in the bin, or keep it private, it's all good.

-----------------------

It may seem daunting to begin with, but that kind of effort doesn't go to waste. You know that you've lost weight in the recent past (which is f****g awesome duder, seriously) but now I think it's time for you to take it to the next level.

Paint some broad strokes, then let's put in a few details along the way.

Show Spoiler
    I'm really interested in seeing what you can achieve dude, srs. With everything you've gone through recently (my sincerest condolences) this is more than the perfect time to make some changes for yourself. I'd love to hear your struggles, your victories, your goals and dreams. Health is such a wonderful thing to explore!

But I believe that you can do it and I think you do too.

--------------------------------

3 years ago I was around 123kg, now I'm around 102kg, significantly leaner, stronger and healthier. I have great blood pressure, solid blood work and a superb diet. I still have my ups and downs, but the ups are outweighing the downs. I had a goal and tried to stick to it no matter how I felt. I'm still dissatisfied with where I am, but I am miles closer than where I was 3 years ago.

Reflection is a wonderful thing.
    Silenus likes this.
  21. Xtreme2damax

Thanks lol. :p

I think I might be eating this stuff because of all the stress. But I am staying active and there is a lot I have already cut out from consumption. My problem comes when I go out shopping I fall into temptation then I binge on the stuff I bought. To combat that I've cut down I what I buy for myself. Shopping trips are few between because we don't have transportation atm. Outside of shopping, if it's not in the house I eat normally. I just need to avoid buying the stuff when I go shopping or if it's in the house because of my mom and sister then keep it out of my reach. It's hard mang. :(

Thanks for the tips. I think the slower I lose it the better. I want to build a bit of muscle as I lose weight. I'm worried about excess loose skin and have been worrying myself over my edema and the discoloration it's causing to my skin.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016