The Health Thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by snickothemule, Feb 21, 2016.

1. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

This Saturday I'm going to try my first ever 24 hour fast. I've been doing fasting training with about 15 hour stretches, but now I want to stretch it out to a full day.

After training straight to the beach then rest at home while I try and get through it.
    Nightmare likes this.
  2. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Mr. Technological Staff Member Moderator

^ Cool and GL. Fasting w/o food is just too difficult for me and not something I think I could do. I've had some days where I conveniently forget to eat. Then it dawns on me when my stomach starts making some ungodly noises that I forgot to eat. I end up binge snacking and eating a bit more when I finally eat something.
  3. Nightmare

Nightmare king Kong Never Dies!

WOW! Good luck man!

Talking about fasting (with water), i had a 1 week fasting around 15 years ago. I didn't do it on purpose but it was due to I lost all my money and college fee to betting machines. I wasn't dare to tell my mom about this thus i had to endure a week before my mom finally banked in money for me at the end of the month...what a freaking memorable tragedy...lol.

People say fasting can help us to clear the poison in our body, i can tell you guys it is true based on my 7 days "fasting". At the 3rd or 4th day without foods, my mind became crystal clear... my memory became very good...But this is also where the nightmare started, imagine that your mind is so clear, you have already slept for 16 hours a day (until headache and you can't sleep anymore), but then your brain also keep asking you to look for foods... very torturing. What got me passed that period was Snes emulator and fire emblem series... i kept sitting in front of my PC to play games to kill time.
    snickothemule likes this.
  4. snickothemule

[​IMG]

holy shit dude.

Show Spoiler
    srs holy shit.

What was your first meal?
    Nightmare likes this.
  5. Nightmare

[​IMG]

My first meal was a plate of chicken rice.

Surprisingly, i didn't eat much that day. Even before i had that "fasting", i was a very skinny person (with very active metabolism) and i was probably underweight too.

I felt so proud and kept telling people i was a person who would NEVER become fat no matter how much i ate, lol. Things changed significantly when i got passed 33yo, with metabolism started slowdown a lot and when i started eating lots of junk foods... then i realized i am no difference than the others anymore :'(
    @ruantec likes this.
  6. snickothemule

Fuark dude, your a beast!

Today I finished my 24 hour fast. I conducted my regular training in the morning which was admittedly lacklusture and below my normal performance (I usually train fasted weekends, but my lower back is playing up), however I completed it within the right time parameters before I had to stop from back pain. So the day started out a bit frustrating.

Being overcast and windy I hit the beach around the 15 hour mark, the wind made it cool but the water was warm and the gently tide was great for my inflamed muscles. Too bad I couldn't lay in the sun, but oh well. Came home had a shower and started to think about food. Normally at this time of day I have something to break my fast, so my system was kindly reminding me to eat.

Being determined helps as a few glasses of water later and I was pretty content. Thought about eating quite a few times, but that was just fighting habits more than anything else. Getting past it was not as tough as I thought.

I will note that I did not much else the rest of the day, just play videogames and do some reading on the effects of fasting. Found a great write up about it here:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/intermittent-fasting-and-stubborn-body.html

Not doing anything overly strenuous was a big help, I know my mental and physical capacities were reduced quite a bit, without training I could probably conduct myself a bit better, but that muscle fatigue always does things to the body that leave you vulnerable in the very short term.

Eating was perculiar, had a hankering for some Chinese food, got some, had a bowl and was pretty content. Had another one out of habit, but I was really fine with a small meal. Now I'm waiting for my headache to subside (muscle tension I believe) and let those nutrients flow through.

cliffs:

I didn't eat for 24 hours
    Trained, it was okay.
    Went to the beach, it was okay.
    Played videogames, did nothing stressfull, I was okay.
    Wasn't performing optimally while resting, doing strenuous work would increase the difficulty of fast.
    Ate food, didn't need much.
    All went well.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Nightmare likes this.
  7. Nightmare

Congrat man!
  8. ElijahTW

ElijahTW NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

I've come to realize that I eat way too much junk food. I decided to count how many calories I ate on an average day and it was kind of shocking. I eat around 1800 calories a day in normal meals, which is pretty low for my BMR and activity level. However, when I added in all of the potato chips, candy, and pop I consume between meals, I'm consuming closer to 3,200 calories. (!)

First things first, cut out pop. Easy. I'm fine with drinking water.

Considering I'm hungry all of the time, cutting out those in between snacks isn't very practical. So I figured I'd start eating salads between meals. At 15 calories per cup and a half serving, it seems like a great option. That is, until I realized how horrible salads are plain. Cover that shit with ranch dressing and I might was well eat a damn candy bar. Low calorie dressing is pretty awful.

So I decided to go a little crazy and try blending the salad into a liquid. Sure, it'll still taste awful but at least I can consume it faster than I would a regular salad.

So I throw the salad into a blender, press blend... and it doesn't really do anything. I guess I didn't know how blenders work. Try 2! Add some water and press blend, and I end up with a disgusting looking green slime. Actually doesn't taste horrible. Add a little salt and its actually quite tolerable. And it's really filling - to the point where I drank my liquid salad for lunch, and wasn't even hungry at all until dinner time.

But god damn does it look disgusting.

20160325_192256.jpg
  9. Gladiator@

Gladiator@ Well-Known Member

Why? I honestly wanna know what you wanted to achieve with that.

If I hit the gym without eating properly, I feel really bad and end up throwing up.
  10. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Mr. Technological Staff Member Moderator

I've been walking a lot. In the past week, rather few days I must've walked around 6 - 8 miles. I went a night without sleep, not only did it make me feel more calm, outgoing and less anxious. I wasn't fatigued or sluggish in the slightest, and in fact it was the opposite. I had as much, if not more stamina and energy as I would've if I slept. I was a bit more calm, focused and had more clarity. I went outside to work in the yard, prepping for some home repairs. I went out for two walks, and one long walk. I didn't start feeling sleepy until evening, when I sat down at my computer reading some stuff I started to doze. I was able to avert the sleepiness by staying active or talking to my mother. When I finally allowed myself to crash, and went to bed I slept longer and now feel like sh*t today lol.

@ElijahTW, that looks nasty. More power to you for being able to drink it, I don't think that would be my cup o' tea. ;)

Congrats to everyone else on their progress.
  11. snickothemule

It's to do with targeting different fat cells, the receptors, inhibiting insulin and releasing specific hormones to promote fat burning in areas which are generally stubborn to get rid of with conventional diet and exercise.

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Fasted Training

It is difficult at first to tain on a fasting day, specifically on shorter 12-16 hour stints, however with time and willpower you learn to control those sensations and you can still get great workouts. After about 10 weeks I managed a 10 set/100 rep workout (1000 total) which targeted my full body. It was pretty difficult, but the mental toughness I've built with fasting has helped.

No doubt about it there have been some rough times, when I was on minocycline and my blood + heart pressure was through the roof, the nausea made it very difficult to do any cardio and heavy lifting, but the discipline I've got from fasting helped me get through it.

Energy is generally lowered in this time, however you can still push weights, just with less gusto. I can still do a 200kg iso-decline press, but it takes more concentration and focus to make it happen.

Additionally there are reports indicating it's a great way to get a spike (up 2200%) in growth hormone production, spike in testosterone and better regulation of insulin. Intermittent fasting, when timed correctly, can give you some insane strength gains a day or so later.

------

In the end it is a very effective method for burning fat and changing body composition, something I'm becoming desperate in achieving. I've had a fat gut since I was a kid, nutrition under my parents was generally poor (my dad is still obese) and I'm disgusted in myself for letting my physique become so shit in my prime years. This method is having a strong effect on my waist line and I hope in another 3 months or so I'll be more comfortable with my body.
  12. Nightmare

I think Intermittent fasting is pretty good. I did it during my second month of training and i didn't know it was actually an effective way of burning fat called Intermittent fasting until i accidentally watched a youtube video.

Btw, so far i can't feel much from the normal abs roller exercise unless i do it 40-50 times. If i do it 20-30 times i don't feel that kind of "tight" feeling on my stomach / abs anymore. But i feel it is pretty boring to do 40-50 times... I tried the standing position one, give me back the tight feeling even if i just do it 10-20 times. Just sharing. (got to be very careful when doing the standing position, you really need to hold the roller tight when u r moving forward)

@Xtreme2damax

According to many sources i read, walking probably is the best exercises in the world! :D
  13. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

That look delicious!
    Nightmare likes this.
  14. Nightmare

It is delicious! One of my most favorite foods, haha.
    @ruantec likes this.
  15. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Indeed! i could eat that meal everyday!
    Nightmare likes this.
  16. Nightmare

Awwww! Same here man! LOL. Finally i found someone who don't mind to eat chicken rice daily, justly like me, lol.
  17. Nightmare

Lots of things to do and getting lazier on workout recently... Time to motivate myself again!

Hope you guys are doing well!
  18. snickothemule

Just signed up for the ASN 10 week body challenge with the goal of overall weight loss.

I've been overlooking the material for training and for nutrition and I think the system I'm on is already tailored well for me, but I'll make some adjustments, primarily not overeating at dinner time and getting back into my protein only breakfasts.

Gonna go on creatine for the first time in about 8 years and try the supps I got for signing up. I'm pretty excited to make some further changes to my diet, and having a 10 week timeframe to get things right is more than enough motivation for me.

This is also the first time I've tried something like this, normally I've been self motivating to get where I want to be, but now with that ticking clock I can really get my but in gear and have something to fall back on if I'm feeling lazy or can't be bothered.
    Nightmare likes this.
  19. snickothemule

For all my gym brahs who haven't tried blood and guts training, it's some OP training.

Basically 1 warmup and 1 heavy set, then move on to next exercise, rinse and repeat. With my training partner we managed to hit our whole bodies in 2 days, which means we can go for broke 2-3 times a week if we adhere to at least 36+ hour recovery per body part.

This training is so much fun, feel crazy pumped in the muscle and my joints are loving me.
    Nightmare and Silenus like this.
  20. ElijahTW

ElijahTW NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Decided to go in a walk today. Went a little longer than I planned to. Screenshot_2016-04-14-23-42-39.png Screenshot_2016-04-14-23-42-35.png Screenshot_2016-04-14-23-42-39.png Screenshot_2016-04-14-23-42-35.png
    Nightmare, Silenus and snickothemule like this.