The NGEmu Folding @ Home community

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by Cid Highwind, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

Driven by the desire to heat up the room on a cold winter night, the NGEmu folding team was born. Being started by a small but fanatic team, it soon attracted members from all corners of the Emuforums, offering their idle CPU cycles and unused GPU power. As the months progressed, team 161326 soared to great heights. Before we knew it, we hit the top 5000, and as of yet we are still steadily climbing towards the top 1000 of the world.

As I write, what was started as a way for heating the room in a geeky way, the determination of the team has lead us to rank 1347 (out of more than 150.000 teams), having completed over 2600 work units we have accumulated a score of more than one and a half million points!

Hereby a big thanks to all our current contributors:
    Masta.G.85.
    D.D.
    Ahielia
    Dax
    Samor
    Runawayprisoner
    ChainGuy
    Skoreanime
    Schumi_4EVER
    Thanakil
    Phil
    BlueAmethyst
    AEN-85
    BobTheGoldfish
    Squall-Leonhart
    Prafull
    Nosound.97
    shaunhoare

As you see, with only 18 members we have been able to reach the top percent of the folding community. Our next milestone will be breaking into the top 1000, only to pound onwards towards the top 500 and possibly even higher. For that, we need all the help you can offer! It doesn’t matter if you’re running the latest i7 with 2 GTX295 cards, or simply an Athlon X2 with an ATi HD 3870, all idle cycles can contribute.

So, what is it you can do, and how do you join? And why should you join us?
    First, a little explanation from the Official F@H FAQ:
    So what we're doing is we're combining our CPU/GPU power for the cause of aiding in the search for an answer to Alzheimer, Creutzfeldt Jakob and Cancer.

How can I participate?
    Simple, all you have to do is to go to this page to download the regular client, or to this page to download the high performance client. The difference here is that the standard one runs on the background and gives you the least amount of interference to worry about. However they don't get you as much result as the high performance clients after all. Additionally, the high performance clients allow you to do the calculations on your GPU or even Playstation 3.

So which is the fastest?
    In terms of raw calculations, the scale is as follows:

GPU > > Playstation 3 > > CPU

On the other hand, when it comes to flexibility, the order is reversed. The CPU can do a much wider range of calculations than GPUs are capable of at this moment. In the end, all work has to be done, so we would appreciate every type of processor you can invest in the project!

Anything else I need to know?
    Well there's deadlines for the WU's (Work Units) to be handed in/uploaded.
    Okay, I signed up, now how do I join [NGEmu]?
    All you have to do is enter our Team ID in the client's settings, which is: 161326. Have fun, and feel free to join us in the forums to chat about! Also, if you have any questions, or would just like some general advice on how to optimize performance, feel free to ask. :thumb:

Additional information
    Daily updates team statistics
    Chainguy on running two GPU instances on one nVidia card
    If you have any suggestions for the additional information, please send a PM
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. makotech222

makotech222 The one and only

Already on the EVGA team, sorry ngemu. im ranked 55 right now on the team,and ranked 7865 in the world. :) i love my 260 gtx
  4. masta.g.86

masta.g.86 No sir, I don't like it. Award Winner!

As a note, using the advanced, experimental SMP cores can net a lot of PPD for those of us (including me) without a GPU that supports CAL or CUDA.

I'll contribute if a group is formed...;)
  5. Exodus

Exodus ...and now they do.

The name of the program still reminds me of laundry, so I refuse to do it.
  6. raksmey1309

raksmey1309 I m meow desu! ^_^

I dont know if my 8800GT has the horse power to light some bulbs here.XD
  7. masta.g.86

An 8800GT is ridiculously powerful in Folding@Home...;)
  8. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Same thing here, it also reminds me of laundry.
  9. Phil

Phil Site Owner Award Winner!

whats wrong with laundry?
  10. redlofredlof

redlofredlof troubleshooter Award Winner!

What is folding@home?
  11. Dax

Dax ライチュウ|タオ

Folding@home - FAQ-main
  12. redlofredlof

I never would have come to know about it if I hadn't seen this thread.
  13. Dax

Dax ライチュウ|タオ

If you leave your PC on 24/7, do this. :p
  14. redlofredlof

After I disconnected my dsl conection I keep my laptop ON for 24x7 and the desktop rests.
  15. Phil

The only time my desktop has been on for 24 consecutive hours is when I was testing my loop for leaks
  16. Dax

Dax ライチュウ|タオ

If memory serves, you can do Folding offline and then when you go online, you can send in the work you did.

Edit: woot, 2000 posts!
  17. masta.g.86

FAH saves the current current workload until an internet connection is detected at which point it will upload the completed work file and download a new one.

FAH can also be configured to operate as a service and run during your CPU's idle cycles.

Keeping your computer on 24/7 is not a requirement as FAH will save its progress and continue the next time it runs.
  18. Dax

Dax ライチュウ|タオ

True, but if you leave it on 24/7 like some do, there's no reason not to do something productive with your PC.
  19. Phil

Its not wise to have my PC running 24/7....a leak could always be a danger if some accidently bumps into my case
  20. masta.g.86

I fully agree with this statement. :thumb: Anyone who leaves their PC on 24/7 for the sake of not having to sit through POST and OS startup really should have FAH installed...

An internal leak can occur even if your PC is off... :/
  21. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

Fair enough Makotech
    Folding@Home

Consider it done. Our Team ID is 161326

Also, which do you mean? I have simply installed the GPU client, I know it's supposed to be faster but is there a client even faster than this?

As for my contribution, the one paying the bills won't agree with me leaving on my pc 24/7, so I'll just contribute when its on and when I'm not gaming.