The NGEmu Folding @ Home community

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by Cid Highwind, Mar 8, 2009.

1. masta.g.86

masta.g.86 No sir, I don't like it. Award Winner!

Thanks for the heads up!:thumb:

Folding an OpenCL (core16) WU in parallel with an SMP a3. Performance is nearly double that of the older Brook (core11) WUs.

View attachment 214450
  2. Ahielia

Ahielia I'm sexy and I know it!

Oh, I like this new version.
  3. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

hmm i still run it it and firefox 4 at the same time so looks like ill be running this when im sleeping then. i use to be able to run both firefox 3 and fah at the same time with no performance lost at all on either but now that ff4 is out my pc crawls to a halt when both are running at the same time.
  4. Ahielia

I don't like it when I try to run the GPU client and trying to do other stuff.

My computer lags really bad then, even if I'm only browsing the web through Opera.
  5. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

you using the latest opra ahielia? becuase its porbably suffering from the same crap mine is with firefox 4. most notable is that the new versions use gpu acceleration instead of cpu acceleration and that in conjuction with FAH using the gpu to fold cuases massive gpu slowdowns.
  6. Ahielia

v11.01

And it's not just Opera, everything becomes really sluggish.
    Therefore I only use the GPU client when I'm not physically at the computer.
  7. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

my system slows to a crawl when either ie9 or firefox 4 are open when im not working in eaither the computer runs fine with the gpu client going.
  8. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Probably the hardware acceleration in the browser messing up the GPU client.
  9. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

which is what i basically said schumi so not a problem that you made it a bit clearer
  10. n_w95482

n_w95482 Gone Contributors

I haven't noticed much slowdown while GPU folding, at least not as much as my work Radeon 4650 with the Brook-based cores (now THAT's some slowdown). It seems that the new client runs much better with my work card, I can now run it while using the PC without closing it out of frustration.

There does seem to be one major issue with ATi/AMD and the new core 16, which is GPU hardlocking when pulling up Flash videos. I keep forgetting to stop the GPU client before visiting YouTube or Justin.tv, and it usually kills the card. Everything else (audio, etc) runs in the background, but the screen's frozen. It really sucks when visiting a page with embedded videos. The new core also has fairly high CPU usage, but they are working on it. Remember, it's still beta :).

masta.g.86: Have you tried using 8 threads with the SMP client yet? F@H gets a bit of a boost with HT. I tried it with and without HT a couple of months back (for the single/dual/triple channel testing I said I would do, but never finished :p), and it was more than I had anticipated. On the same WU, I got 28863 PPD without HT, and 41412 with it on.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  11. masta.g.86

masta.g.86 No sir, I don't like it. Award Winner!

It seems to be an issue with the HD6900 series. I've watched several Youtube videos and not experienced any problems.

Source
  12. n_w95482

Ah duh, you're right, I forgot it was limited to just those couple of models.
  13. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I am running a GTS250 on my gaming rig with a intel pentium dual-core E2180 and i get massive slowdowns with the gpu client and firefox 4 open just on the home page which doesnt use flash at all. My HTPC has a 9600gt card in it and a amd athlon 64 3500+ cpu and gets the slow downs as well with firefox 4 and the gpu client running but since i hardly use that one for browing the web or anything i can have it folding 24/7 basically and my main rig is folding when I am sleeping mostly becuase I have firefox playing musc in the background or something most of the time.
  14. n_w95482

I have no slowdowns in Firefox while my 6970 is folding. Maybe it's an nVidia thing, I've never tried folding with their cards (my nVidia stash is 7 series and older).
  15. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I jumped from a 7600GS to a GTS250 myself when my 7600gs died on me so for me that was a major jump up.
  16. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Havn't done any folding in ages but it certainly wasn't an nVidia thing before.
  17. n_w95482

The new cores are different, and now that GPU-accelerated browsers are out, that's factoring into it as well. It may have been fine before, but it's quite different now.

Edit: 7.1.24 beta is out now, it fixes a number of issues, the biggest one for me being it now saves monitored remote clients when closing. It also seems to have an issue of assigning core 16 (OpenCL) WUs to 4000 series Radeons (which crash continuously) if the client type is set to advanced.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  18. Clusta

Clusta New Member

Watching videos seems to be a none issue with the beta. I'm not comfortable with the temps under full load (or even 4 threads), so I'm still using the uniprocessor, and the beta for gpu folding.
  19. Linktothepast

Linktothepast Deus ex machina

Joined a few days back with the gpu client, i am ranked 30 and rising right now thanks to the GTX 560 Ti (it gives about 15000 points per day). Go ngemu team (ranked 340 out of 201.973 teams is a pretty amazing achievement)!
  20. n_w95482

Yeah, I'm quite happy with the throughput of nVidia cards with F@H. The GTX 460 1 GB in my spare PC is doing nearly 11k PPD on the new client with a bit of a factory overclock. My Radeon 6970 tops out at a little over 8k.

Speaking of the GTX 460 folding, I forgot about the above posts until now. I just double checked the spare PC while it was folding and I noticed zero slowdowns in Firefox with general web browsing. I didn't check Flash stuff, as I normally shut down F@H if I'm watching videos, out of habit of the combination causing my 6970 to hardlock :p.