Toys, Figures and Collectibles: So Expensively Cheap

Discussion in 'General Pictures & Videos' started by snickothemule, Jul 20, 2012.

1. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

So what's the purpose of this thread?

A place to show your collection, talk about something upcoming figures, something cool you saw online, looking for something to buy as a gift, don't understand why people do this and want to know why? Really whatever discussion that pertains to toys, come talk about it!

Seriously? Toys?

Yes jackass, toys, figures and other collectibles bring in big money. Transformers, Sentai, Karmen Rider, Lego, Gundam, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Marvel, DC and just about every other type of movie, tv show, anime, manga, comic or cartoon have for a long time made mad bank on the selling of little figurines for everyone to enjoy, not just kids.

Whoa whoa, adults buy these things?

You bet your ass they do.

What types of toys?

All kinds, fixed PVC statues, figures with extensive articulation for posing, small 80mm trading figures, build and paint yourself kits or crazy 1:1 busts with insane levels of detail. In short different strokes for different folks, collecting goes far beyond the cheap figures available at your local supermarket.

Why would I want to collect things. I'm a serious person with serious person opinions.

Well Mr. Serious, those who are into collecting these things do it for fun! Having these things is nice and sometimes you simply want nice things for the sake of having nice things.

Where can I see information about upcoming collectables and stuff?

In person? Hobby stores are a good place, there are a few businesses that are geared around the importation of highly sought after figures.

Online? Tomopop is very good and covers a humongous amount of news and reviews, but there are plenty of great blogs available.

To actually buy stuff:

Amiami: Straight from Japan yo
    Amazon: Popular amongst the Americas
    inxstation Pro Store: Honk Kong based with worldwide shipping
    toywiz: Worldwide shipping
    Play-Asia: pretty okay store
    Hobbyco: Decent for Australia, a few stores scattered around.

Okay, I've spent all my money, have hundreds of toys and no money for food.. Now what?

Bask in the glory of it all and enjoy being poor.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  2. snickothemule

To kick things off I just received my shipment of Dragon Ball SCultures and by god are they glorious creations. I'm trying to find the Vegeta figure and will be getting the insane Frieza and Super Saiyan Goku figures which are more of a deluxe type figure, but holy smokes do I love this series. The thing that impresses me the most is the artists managed to transfer the drawings into flawless representations.

[​IMG]

Piccolo

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Super Saiyan 2 Gohan

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Super Saiyan 3 Goku

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perfect Cell

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Android 16

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Casual Goku

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

The faces don't quite seem to match the anime (they do, but there's somehow something a little off with each one)....especially in that last one Goku is all cross-eyed.

Anyways I wish I could contribute something more to this thread but I don't have anything like that. Keep meaning to get myself a Gundam Figurine sometime but they're both hard to get and I wouldn't know what to do with it once I got it since at the moment I still live at home and I have to hide my anime habits from the family.

I really also need to get back into Model Building sometime, only ever built a Harrier Jet and a Merc Gullwing but neither turned out very great and I missplaced them ages ago. Quite an expensive hobby though.
  4. Phil

Phil Site Owner Award Winner!

My contribution to this thread.

[​IMG]

Ill post some more of the random ones I have lying around when I can find them later.

Also if you want to find Anime style figures, preorder them from Amiami.com. It's cheaper to buy directly from Japan than from the states or your home country.
  5. DarkSamus

DarkSamus PC game modder Award Winner!

Mario plush toy...
    [​IMG]
    ^^He is looking a bit dusty at the moment.

and Evil Ryu/Oni Bobble Heads...
    [​IMG]
  6. Hyuga

Hyuga Classic Games Lover

I used to have Ada Wong RE4 figurine, don't even know where it disappeared (probably somewhere during my move from UK to Ireland).

[​IMG]

PS. I could never get hooked with Dragon Ball, no matter how hard I tried. Not big fan of Toriyama's style either, could only suffer it in Chrono Trigger and those were only portraitrs anyway...
  7. Phil

Here are two more figures of mine

First is Triela, from Gunslinger Girl from Goodsmile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought her used (Open Box) for $85. She goes for $142-$190

Next is my favorite figure, Rin Tohsaka Unlimited Blade Works Version. Scale is 1/7, (about a foot tall) so a pretty big figure. Also from Goodsmile.

[​IMG]

That hair looks freaking impossible

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought her for 9800 Yen (Around $124) from Japan last year. You can buy one for $225-$300 now.

Also, there is one place to buy figures for dirt cheap. www.mandarake.jp. It's a Japanese auction house, that also sells stuff from different hobby stores around Japan (like Nakano, Shibuya and Nagoya). You have to be at the right place at the right moment though. I bought some rare Miku Hachune nendoriods there for like 2000 yen (less than $30) and sold them for $500.

Here is that exact one

[​IMG]
  8. Samor

Samor Foundry

Way back when lik-sang was still in business, it'd be very cheap (as in, cost next to nothing) to order some additional goodies with your games.
    They're nothing special, but that way I got the following:

-Pacman
    -Mario fridge magnet
    -2 mini table top arcade replicas with actual mini games in them
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  9. snickothemule

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    a
    The Batman figure from the collectors edition of Arkham City isn't too bad of a piece, but it's got a very uninspiring pose. I've also just put in a pre-order for a Momohime Muramasa figure that which was a massive success a few years ago, a Super Robot Chogokin Daizyujin and a new Tekkaman figure.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  10. Xblade

Xblade Drowning in a red state.

That Tohsaka figure looks magnificent.
  11. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Indeed it does, but why quote Samor when Phil posted it ? :p
  12. Phil

They re released Momohime? Might have to pick it up, always liked the look of that one.

Yeah and I agree, Tohsaka was possibly the best figure of 2011 IMO.

I also owned the best of 2009 (and also the most hyped), the Original Black Rock Shooter (Both Versions). I've since sold them as I have fallen out of real collecting.

Here is a few pics of a Hitagi that I sold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A treat for all the pervs here:

[​IMG]
  13. Xblade

Xblade Drowning in a red state.

I see I stayed up too late last night. :evil:
  14. Phil

Beer can be a terrible thing man :p
  15. snickothemule

The Tohsaka figure really is awesome and Samor that Pac-Man shot owns man.

Walking through the toy isle this week to see what supermarkets are selling to the kids these days and I came upon this.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I think I've seen about 5 minutes of Samurai on tv, the cast is typically terrible, voice work atrocious, however the production of the show has really ramped up over the course of 20 years. For a more mid range childrens figure, it's not too shabby.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Fairy basic construction, but the joints feel sturdy with enough flexibility for a toy of this class.

[​IMG]

Comes with about 100 pieces too. Kids are gonna have a fun time losing everything.

[​IMG][​IMG]

It's a bit of business getting that goody sword to fit in his hands, mounting it on his side is another option.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Power Rangers line has come a long way for stuff to sit on supermarket shelves. The stuff from S.H. Figuarts like the new Akibaranger line, and the upcoming 12" perfect model naturally leave it for dead, but I kinda like it, especially as a reminder to what the rage was back when I was a kid.

Also want to thank you guys for contributing to the thread.
  16. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Ugh, dude you haven't seen the zords and battles in that show, they're downright terrible. Worst out of all the ones I've seen.
  17. Phil

I'd kill for an authentic Megazord (Original). Looks awesome though snick.
  18. Phil

Found this old pic

[​IMG]
  19. snickothemule

Another order came through, I've gone for a couple of Colosseum 2 figures, and 100% Power Frieza from the previous series (will photo later) and I adore the quality of these figures. Ox King looks like he's ripped right out of the manga and looks incredible, nice little details which haven't come through (I have poor lighting, will do a better set some other day when I'm not so tired) and the Goku figure is really clean and balanced. Very happy with these little figures.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  20. snickothemule

This is the figure that got me interested in collecting in the first place, back when the unpainted prototypes were revealed I knew then and there that I get it. This was the last one in stock and I am very pleased with the way it's put together.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Frieza's calm yet psychopathic/paranoid nature makes him one of my favourite Dragon Ball villains and this figure captures his spirit perfectly. Exceptional sculpting, little details makes him look like he was plugged right out of the manga/anime and brought to life. Amazes me.