Toys, Figures and Collectibles: So Expensively Cheap

Discussion in 'General Pictures & Videos' started by snickothemule, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Yeah Transformers G1 was awesome, it was the main one i loved. That said, back to power rangers, i actually watched and loved it all the way to what i consider for me the finale of the series Power Rangers in Space. After that it kind of lost me as well. But up to that point i did love the show a lot! And it will always be a very special show for me, as i absolutely eagerly waited for each Saturday morning to watch it on RTL (germany) it was the one thing i never missed :).
  2. Samor

Samor CEO and Chief Editor of Samor Foundry

Because we were quite a bit behind with the series here, it was on a timeslot where it would appear every weekday in the late afternoon on the Dutch RTL... we receive RTL Germany here but I had no need to watch it on there (I probably did occasionally though, I was a saturday morning cartoon junkie like everyone).
    The same happened with DBZ later (on Cartoon Network) although they restarted a bunch of times, which was annoying. I've seen most of it up 'till the final battle in the Cell saga, when they restarted again! Later watched the conclusion on YouTube :p
    The good part of DBZ was that during fights you could easily skip an episode or two (the famous powerup sequences).
    Strike105X likes this.
  3. Samor

When I was a kid Game&Watch and similar devices were all the rage at school.
    We ourselves didn't have a Nintendo one, but we had Pac-Man, from Cresta (rather similar to the Namco version but with a d-pad instead of a tiny joystick). We'd play each other's games by lending them to each other at school so I got to play Donkey Kong Jr. , Donkey Kong 2 and several others.

Hence my interest in the reissues ... I knew they were available for some time now but for whatever reason I didn't get a hold of any... until very recently, that is.
    The ones I picked are DK Jr (as I played the original) and Super Mario Bros. as I remember staring at the original for way too long in toy stores.

Now these (smaller) reissues that look like tiny gameboy pockets aren't as cool as the originals but they retain the game&watch functions, and I guess they're still "the next best thing".
    I'm considering getting a few more in the series.

20170114_123135.jpg
  4. Kaiser Sigma

Kaiser Sigma ~ Lord of Darkness ~

I know this is extremely late but hey, at least it isn't a necro. Power Rangers never held a candle against the real Super Sentai Shows. In Argentina there was a channel from Brasil that aired at least 4 of them and when Power Rangers finally came out I couldn't help but feel there was a lot missing to it. I mean, just check this opening:

On topic: I scored the preorder for this in what's probably the nerdiest thing I've ever done. Wake up at 4 AM and fight against an overloaded site because of other nerds trying to score a preorder~.
  5. Samor

a bit more of a military vibe, that intro. I'm also reminded of the EDF (it's a Japanese game afterall).
  6. Kaiser Sigma

That's because Super Sentai Changeman revolved around a group of military dudes; but each Super Sentai show differed in the context for the group (for example, Flashman was about a group of five abducted children who are later rescued and tried in different planets so they can come back to Earth to defend it from those who abducted them while looking for the parents they lost when they were kids). Each Super Sentai Show didn't last more than 50 eps, it helped in not wearing down the concept. They were also significantly more mature and dark than the Power Rangers we got in the West~.

The subgenres of tokusatsu (mostly known for Kamen Rider) and metal hero series also featured awesome plots and action~.
    Samor likes this.
  7. Samor

They never aired here... I think I half-knew that Power Rangers had Japanese origins when I first watched it though, because of cartoons like this...
    (one of the few super robot series I've seen in the 80s)
    ...and we had the MSX(2) computer system, lots of Japanese games with (for its time) impressive anime-style openings similar to later CD-based systems such as PCE CD and SEGA CD.
    Strike105X likes this.
  8. Kaiser Sigma

They didn't air them here either. But Brazil got a ton of them and we got to see them through cable, I wasn't kidding when I say they were pretty deep. PR was something for kids, Super Sentai shows may have targetted a similar audience but the themes were pretty mature. They made you think a little anyway~.

Edit: if you want to see the real deal check this link for the first episode. It's corny and campy as fuck but then again, keep in mind this was aired in 1985, that's almost 10 years before the cheap western knock off. One thing that always stood out to me was the music from these shows~.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017 at 2:35 PM
  9. Samor

it is rather similar though... but yes, 10 years earlier. :)
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017 at 11:43 PM
  10. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

That i think was the first mech anime i've seen, so sad i can't find the jp version fully translated...