Understanding Internal Resolution

Discussion in 'PCSX2 Forum' started by dreamplay, May 27, 2008.

1. dreamplay

dreamplay New Member

Ive been lurking around the forums and still havent yet clarified if having a monitor that goes up to 1680x1050, is there any reason to go higher in the internal resolution than that(have read around that it makes little quality diference)?
    Also, if a game is 4:3(for example), should i put an internal resolution of 4:3 or should i configure that with the resolution/aspect ratio(meaning that the internal resolution makes no influences in aspect ratios)? Some games seems to be a bit "squashed" in "stretch" mode.;)
    Ill apreciate any clarifications on this as im going nuts with it:eyemove:. THX!!!!!
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Fadingz

Fadingz 代言人 Translator Junior Contributor Award Winner!

you can click 'native' to make the screen default by the game.
  4. cottonvibes

cottonvibes You're already dead... Emu Author

internal resolution is what DirectX scales and draws its stuff to.
    you don't see it, but its there.
    and after its done drawing all its stuff, it shows it on the screen.
    but its Stretches the size to fit your output resolution.

so say you set your internal resolution to 1024x1024.

DX draws all its stuff to a 1024x1024 surface, and then when its done drawing, it stretches that over your output resolution which I guess is 1680x1050.

so If you want the clearest picture, set your internal resolution to match your output resolution.

so it dosn't have to stretch the image, and thus you get no data-loss.
  5. toyopsp

toyopsp Human Troubleshooter

what if its the other way around? say my output res is 1280x720@60hz and my internal d3d res is 1680x1050, does it still stretches out? i dunno why but im getting sharper visuals with this setting, with some optimized games(FFX,FFXII,RE4,etc.) i can go even higher with the int res up to 1920x1080 but my output stays at 1280x720 coz my samsung 32" lcd tv is limiting my 1920x1080 to 30hz as gsdx reports in the dropdown menu:(
  6. NonWonderDog

NonWonderDog New Member

Using a higher internal resolution than your display resolution and downsampling it is basically the anti-aliasing technique known as supersampling. GSdx probably uses a pretty simple sampling algorithm, though, so using 2x your output resolution as the internal resolution doesn't look quite as good as 2x anti-aliasing done by your video card. (It might actually just use the nearest pixel, negating any benefit of rendering to a higher resolution, but I don't think it does.)
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  7. cottonvibes

cottonvibes You're already dead... Emu Author

if you have a higher internal resolution than your output resolution, then the image gets stretched downwards.

depending on how it does this, it could mimic AA like NonWonderDog was talking about.

AA is used to make Lines and Edges in Geometry/3d models less-jaggy and more smooth.

by using a higher internal resolution, when the image gets stretched downwards to the size of your output resolution, it will blend pixels together, and make lines less-jagged.

however, this does not make the image "sharper", as its blending pixels, and not giving you the clearest image.

it could end up looking a bit blurry, but that blurryness could cover up jagged/un-smooth edges.
  8. techniqu

techniqu New Member

for me antialiasing actually doesn't provide a better picture compared to increase internal resolution. the increase in internal resolution also seems to effect scaling of textures. with regular internal resolution in disgaea 2 I noticed that the picture looked as though there were "scale lines" from a television when I switched to full screen, and in 3200x2400 resolution this problem was gone. Textures also seemed to scale better as well, with text being less blurry even without any interlacing setting and regular pictures (not ones being rendered, such as character avatars) look like they are filtered better.
  9. Mad

Mad AKA snkmad

Just a note, the higher you set the internal res, the heavier itll get to the gfx card.
  10. dreamplay

dreamplay New Member

Thanks! That preatty much aswer the first question, but i still dont understand what happens if i want to play a 4:3 game in my monitor (with letf/right black bars, to evade the squashing effect)? Shall i change the internal resolution, or just put the output resolution 1680x1050 with 4:3 aspect ratio?
  11. smd4420

smd4420 New Member

two options depending on ur hardware.
    1)Your monitor might have a option for changing the type of scaling i.e. "stretch" "1:1"
    2)Your graphics card has a option for fixed-aspect ratio scaling (attached image shows where to find it in the nvidia control panel)

So to set up 4:3 gaming w/o any distortions (with black bars on both sides) enable 'fixed aspect ratio scaling and set the output resolution to a 4:3 ratio like 1280x960 or 1400x1050

You can find the aspect ratio of different resolutions by taking the first number and dividing it by the second for example

4x3 = 4:3 = 4/3 ~ 1.33:1
    1280x960 = 1280/960 ~ 1.33:1
    1400x1050 = 1400/1050 ~ 1.33:1

16x9 = 16:9 = 16/9 ~ 1.78:1
    1280x720 = 1280/720 ~ 1.78:1
    1920x1080 = 1920/1080 ~ 1.78:1

16x10 = 16:10 = 16/10 = 1.6:1
    1920x1200 = 1920/1200 = 1.6:1
    1680x1050 = 1680/1050 = 1.6:1
    1440x900 = 1440/900 = 1.6:1
    1280x800 = 1280/800 = 1.6:1
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
  12. toyopsp

toyopsp Human Troubleshooter

ok, nice info and calculations you got there. Next question, why is it that no matter how high i set the d3d int res, most surface textures look rough without texture filtering? i believe it's AF but what level exactly? 4x? 8x? 16x?
  13. smd4420

smd4420 New Member

The internal res and texture filter are independent of each other. I don't know what type of filtering is used. I find it easier to understand with pictures than with words. Attached are 4 images of Breath of Fire III running on ePSXe with Pete's OpenGl2 2.8. The 1st image is a high internal res w/o a filter, the second image is a low internal res w/o a filter, the 3rd is high internal res with Pete's standard filter and the last image is low internal res with Pete's standard filter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  14. zomurn

zomurn New Member

Hello everybody,

According to cottonvibes, I put the internal res equals to the playing resolution (i.e. 1680x1050, the max of my 22' wide screen).
    The internal res parameter makes a large visual image improvement and playing PS2 in this configuration is far better than the PS2 console (have a look at native res when ticking the box). But I think then the memory on video card has to be enough to support working on so big textures ! With my 256Mo VRAM, all games all running the same way increasing up to 1680x1050 the internal res, so there is no problem :).
    With my e8400 3GHz@3.9GHz and 8800GT 256Mo and 4Go DDR2-1066MHz dual channel, I'am enjoying playing this emulator. The result on many games is quite perfect (gradius V, crash bandicoot).
    The only one game I tried witch is slow is Tekken Tag Tournament, but optimizing emulator configuration, I succed in reaching nearly 50fps that is the game is almost fully playable...except that, like in the tekken 4, I have graphics bugs (vertical black lines).
    I'am playing with GSDX 1.1.8 SSE4, DX10 on vista 32BIT.

Here a screenshot took on Gradius V to demonstrate the overall image quality (internal res is 1512x1512) (on constantly at 60fps except when first boss makes its scripted appear (drop to 40fps).

[​IMG]

Here a screen with internal res by default : 1024x1024

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008