Utility to force a resolution on a game?

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by Metalmurphy, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Metalmurphy

Metalmurphy Translator Translator

Does anyone know of any Tools that force a resolution on an 3D application?

I just felt like installing Dungeon Keeper 2 but that 800x600 resolution is killing me :p Even with AA.

So i was wondering if any of you know of any 3D utility that allows me to force a resolution on a game.

I've been searching in google but its kinda hard to find one.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. OminaeYu

OminaeYu Spriggan

What version of the game do you have?

Ok I think I found what your looking for!

Its called reschanger by 12noon

Download it and put it into the directory Dungeon Keeper 2 is installed in. Then right click reschanger and make a shortcut to the desktop.

Right click the shortcut and edit as neccesary!

Sample config for fallout

Code:
    D:\Fallout\reschange.exe -width=1600 -height=1200 -depth=32 -refresh=72 "D:\Fallout\FALLOUTW.EXE"
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  4. Coolsvilleman

Coolsvilleman Emulation to the max! Junior Contributor

Have you tried registry or ini settings? For example battle realms supposedly supports at max 1024x768 but you can edit the ini file to allow 1600x1200 (or other) which also zooms you out a bit. It really made the game looks alot better for me too.
  5. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

dumb question but would that program work for any pc game or is it just for that one specifc one?
  6. OminaeYu

OminaeYu Spriggan

Your Mileage May Vary

Should work with any I tried it with Fallout and got it to 1600x1200 @ 72 hz :drool:
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  7. Metalmurphy

Thanks i'm gonna try that utility out. I found one named reslink that also works like that but it didn't work. Gonna try that one out now.

You also remembered me that i should look for updates on the game :p Maybe they increased the resolution on the updates.
  8. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

There are some patches for the games, one even including a new creature and some new traps (maiden of the web and Jack in the Box).

Are you going to play it online? I still have the game here myself as well, I could reinstall it.
  9. RockmanForte

RockmanForte Rockman fan

Will it work for Rockman X7 Korea version of PC ? I hate full screen. I like 800X600 for that. :)
  10. Metalmurphy

I can. You just gotta give me some time to catch up couse i only remember the essentials :p
  11. RockmanForte

RockmanForte Rockman fan

Are you talk to me ? It can be done for Rockman X7 korea version from the full screen to 800X600 without a problem ? :)
  12. Metalmurphy

No i was talking to Cid :p

You'll have to try that your self i have no idea :S

As for Dungeon Keeper 2, reschanger didn't work but atleast the update increased the resolution to 1024*728.

Btw Cid i had a hard time trying to update to 1.70 since theres only a 1.30 to 1.70 update and you can't find the 1.30 update anywhere. But i managed to find the 1.30 DKII.exe that allows u to run the 1.30to1.70 update, so if you need it just PM.
  13. RockmanForte

RockmanForte Rockman fan

Ok, heh! Thanks. :)
  14. darth sephiroth

darth sephiroth .!. (^.^) .!.

hmm sweet, i'm gonna go play might and magic 6/7/8 at 1280 x 960 resolution :D
  15. jonc2006

ok someone help me out here, im trying to get the pc version of ff7 to run in 1280x800x32. my ff7exe is in C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII. i put the reschange in that same folder and made the desktop shortcut. in the target line this is what ive been trying,

"C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\reschange.exe" -width=1280 -height= 800 -depth=32 -refresh=72" C:\Program Files\Square Soft. Inc\Final Fantasy VII.EXE

but when i open the program it says

unable to find the specified file, command line is 800 -depth=32 -refresh=72" C:\Program Files\Square Soft. Inc\Final Fantasy VII.EXE

what am i doing wrong? can someone write out how its supposed to be to work?
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  16. Exodus

Exodus ...and now they do.

My guess is that it should be something more like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\reschange.exe" -width=1280 -height=800 -depth=32 -refresh=72 "C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII.EXE"

Also, you have two different paths. One you have "Square Soft, Inc" and the other "Square Soft. Inc". Make sure you use the right one.
  17. jonc2006

got it thanks now it accepted the target path. one more thing though, it says my video adapter and monitor doesnt support that resolution,however, most of my other games run under 1280x800 with no problem, could it be the depth 32 and refresh 72 part that is causing this?
  18. Exodus

Exodus ...and now they do.

Does it work without those two settings?
  19. jonc2006

when i remove them it goes back to saying unable to find specified file
  20. Metalmurphy

Try it like this

"C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\reschange.exe" -width=1280 -height=800 "Final Fantasy VII.EXE"

Make sure the Start In path is "C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII"

Oh and make sure its either Square Soft, Inc or Square Soft. Inc (, or .)
  21. OminaeYu

OminaeYu Spriggan

It should work without the -depth=xx and -refresh=xx

I've been testing it with different games and command lines and so far its been a crapshoot some games work and some dont :\

As for your final fantasy problem jonc2006 try 60 for the refresh. Your monitor may not support anything over that for that resolution.