VBA 1.72 Mac Version and Golden Sun Trouble-Shooting

Discussion in 'Visualboy Advance Discussion' started by Hyperandy, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hyperandy

Hyperandy New Member

I used to be a Windows user and I've used a lot of emulators over the years. I recently purchased a macbook pro and have overcome a few obstacles in getting this particular emulator to work. I read that this forum is populated by mostly windows users so I figured the information I have to share may be helpful to the Mac users out there.

The version I have used to successfully run Golden Sun is 1.7.2 for mac.

VBA 1.7.2 MAC VERSION GUIDE AND TROUBLE-SHOOTING:

To install:

Download VBA 1.7.2 for mac here

Download VBA 1.7.2 for mac, uncompress, mount dmg, drag and drop VisualBoyAdvance folder to the desired location. I put mine on the desktop. Some would surely prefer to place it in applications.

I found when fooling around with the preferences some combinations caused the emulator to crash upon the opening of a rom (fullscreen being a major one). Without being able to open the rom it is impossible to reset the preferences through the program's preferences option.

To reset preferences:

I went to User>Library>Preferences (mac version of windows registry) and searched through those files until I found the one that mentioned visual boy advance, and deleted it. It had a prefix that was something like com.apple.visualboyadvance ....etc

Did the trick.

If unable to select the option to "configure keys" (greyed out):

Controller Mate

Controller Mate is a great app for mac users who also had the problem with setting up keys. It is the only mac app I have found that is like Joy2key or xpadder for windows but it is much more sophisticated. Just look up the default keyboard controls for VBA and apply those to your controller scheme. Inbox me if you would like more information.

To Save in Golden Sun:

I opened the rom, went to preferences, changed the flash to 64 k and exited the program. Then I went into the Visual Boy Advance folder and deleted the battery save of Golden Sun. I then re-opened the rom and was able to save.

I have no idea how to get Golden sun to save with the mac version of VBA-M as I can not find the battery save folder for that version.

If this information belongs somewhere else or is unwanted go ahead and move, repost or delete it.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. shortstack101

shortstack101 New Member

having trouble

I am trying to follow your process of being able to save on goldensun on my mac. I was able to change it to 64 but I't wont let me delete the battery save folder. When I go into the game it says it saves it but the next time I go into the game it didnt at all. I was wondering if you had anymore tips for me how to fix this.
  4. Hyperandy

Hyperandy New Member

Delete the battery save, not the battery save folder? Its been a while since I've written this.
  5. schathach

schathach New Member

Darn, this is great. I wonder why the VBA 1.7.4 version doesn't provide you the setting options. I am glad I can still simply move the 1.7.4 save states to 1.7.2' save state folder.