VBA-Link "Communication Error" Fire Red.

Discussion in 'Visualboy Advance Discussion' started by tomcat001, Apr 28, 2008.

1. tomcat001

tomcat001 New Member

Hey guys, I have a slight problem when using the VBA link. I followed all the instructions to get the link to work for PKMN Firered and I tested it and it worked perfectly. However as I progressed in the game I attempted to trade to evolve a PKMN but I always get a black screen saying "Communication Error Please check all connections and turn the power off and on". This happens usually when I select "Become the leader" in the trade window. Anyone have any possible suggestions on how to correct this issue?? Thanks.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

uncheck "pause emulation when window not active"
    and set both processes to Above normal priority in task manager
  4. tomcat001

tomcat001 New Member

Well ive tried that and it worked the first time, but not on repeat trials. It seems to be all up to luck in most instances.
  5. Lord Budweiser

Lord Budweiser One of the most...

Use VBALink Version 1.72 instead of version 1.73. google it and you will find. Previous versions also works fine.
  6. JoeGrzzly

JoeGrzzly New Member

Now I know this forum is old, but I have done all the instructions that have been said and looked on several other forums and the vba emulator still says communication error when I try to trade with myself. It is clearly not up to luck as I have tried at least 34 times.
    Does anyone know what to do?
  7. Squall-Leonhart

disable pause when inactive, set both processes to above normal, DO NOT hit the turbo key at any time.
  8. JoeGrzzly

JoeGrzzly New Member

check, check, and I've never used turbo key. Still no dice.
  9. Squall-Leonhart

Are both windows running at 100% speed?
  10. JoeGrzzly

JoeGrzzly New Member

98%-100% You see, I've been testing the linking with fire red and leaf green to be sure that it works right before I play Oracles of Ages and Seasons. I want to be able to see the "linked" ending to it.

UPDATE: Somehow I have finally accomplished a trade, soit must have worked out somehow.
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
  11. Squall-Leonhart

12. JoeGrzzly

JoeGrzzly New Member

What is the purpose of this password generator? It looks like it has cheats, chich I don't like to use.
  13. Squall-Leonhart

you don't NEED to link the games to finish a linked game, you can use codes either provided by the finishing of 1 game and entering them in the other, or you can generate the linked game code from the get go and play it from the start.
  14. JoeGrzzly

JoeGrzzly New Member

So what your saying is using this program, I can play a version of the game that you would have to play through once on either of the two in order to play, and that this version is the true storyline.

So essentially, this other version has more to it than the normal playthrogh of playing each game seperately and then linking at the end right?
  15. Squall-Leonhart

There are only two parts of this game that matter to the story.

the opening with link on the horse, and the linked game ending which ties LTTP and Links Awakening together.
  16. JoeGrzzly

JoeGrzzly New Member

So it doesn't matter whether I use this program now or just link the two games at the end?
  17. Squall-Leonhart

play the games for fun, worry about stories later :p
  18. JoeGrzzly

JoeGrzzly New Member

I'm not worried about stories, I'm just curious whether or not the game has "more to it than meets the eyes". So there's no special thing from using the password program except for getting the password right away?
  19. Squall-Leonhart

basically yeah. or if you only have 1 game or the other.
  20. JoeGrzzly

JoeGrzzly New Member

Ok thank you for your help.
  21. gundelsergio

gundelsergio New Member

ok i have like the same problem only thing is i use VBA version 1.8 and i get a communication and link error whenever i try to trade Pokemon Emerald and Pokemon Sapphire can anyone help me