VBA save error on mac

Discussion in 'Visualboy Advance Discussion' started by domco28, Oct 26, 2013.

1. domco28

domco28 New Member

Hi, i've been trying to play pokemon fire red on my Macbook pro retina-os mavericks, VBA 1.7.6 . The problem is that every time i try to save the game (through freeze game/ shift F1 or in-game) it always writes :
    Error creating file Battery Saves/fire-red1.sav
    Error creating file Save States/fire-red1.sgm
    I tried every suggestion i found so far, but none worked.

I did check that the folder is on read and write i did unlock it, even make it a shared folder just in case.I tried having the folder in applications and on desktop... nothing worked so far.... Please help me!

The sad thing is that i got it working but after a restart it wrote that error again....

Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

I don't know how to fix it since I've never owned a mac but it's clearly a permissions issue where VBA isn't allowed to create/write to files.
  4. domco28

domco28 New Member

yeah i know, but since i did everything i could unlocked, made it shared and checked read and write for everyone i don't think there can be done anything more,
    I have tried it over and over and 3 times i actually got it working but when i closed(or it lagged and i had to force quit it) the VBA app and started it again it threw that error again and didn't load my save....
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  5. domco28

domco28 New Member

I booted windows 7 on my macbook pro via bootcamp and got VBA there...
    you could say i fixed it :D
  6. Enzzy

Enzzy New Member

After doing some digging, I've discovered that this bug is caused by OS X MAvericks. Now we just have to wait for a VBA update.
  7. Squall-Leonh@rt

Squall-Leonh@rt Maybe I'm a Lion

you won't be getting one, VBA is long dead.
  8. zepuseba

zepuseba New Member

Hey, i had the same problem

I'm definitely not an expert on Macs, though I did something that seems to have fixed the issue

If you go to Get Info on the VBA application, theres a little lock at the very bottom right
    I clicked that to unlock it, and did the same for the Battery Saves folder

Not sure what it is I did, but I'm not getting an error message

I put all my .sav on DropBox, and deleted the app and re-installed prior to this, so I haven't tried to load previous .sav files, but at least I'm not getting the error message.

Hope it works out
  9. BananaBones

BananaBones New Member

what do you mean VBA application i have the same problem with all pokemon games fire red ash grey light platinum and leaf green