VBA "speed up" possible?

Discussion in 'Visualboy Advance Discussion' started by Morgan19, May 26, 2002.

1. Morgan19

Morgan19 Banned

I just switched over to VBA after using smygb for a few years and am pleased so far, but there's one thing I can't find: an option in VBA akin to smygb's Option - 0123 choices to make the game run faster. I tried frameskip and priority in VBA but neither accomplish the speed change. Is there anything to this effect?

(I decided to switch over in the first place because smygb has never played sound correctly for me and I got sick of playing games with the volume off. ^_^)

Thanks,
    m19
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Hydra

Hydra ???!!!???!!!?!?!

Well it seems your wanting to play just GameBoy games perhaps try another one with better sound emulation because VBA will require more power to run nicely.
  4. Morgan19

Morgan19 Banned

You misunderstood. My system is more than enough to handle the emulator, but it wasn't the speed of the program I wanted to change but how fast it emulates it onscreen. As such, I figured it out: disabling synchronization in VBA popped it up to 450% speed, which is exactly what I was going for and has nothing to do with whether it's a GBA, GBC, or GB emulator.

m19
  5. Hydra

Hydra ???!!!???!!!?!?!

Ok glad everything is working out.
  6. j1188

j1188 Guest

I think that you can press spacebar to speed things up.
  7. Morgan19

Morgan19 Banned

Aha, so it does. :) But only while you hold it down. I played around a bit and apparently whatever settings I've enabled set that to a constant, which is what I was going for.

m19
  8. Prafull

Prafull Active Member

I too have been waiting for some speed gain on vba for years (umm may be thats too far,months you can say).
    Really not into gba emulation yet due to that particular reason.
  9. Morgan19

Morgan19 Banned

The tricks I used on VBA have gotten up to 497% (reading it right now), is that fast enough? :D I compared the two and it seems pretty close to smygb's Option - 3 mode.

m19
  10. Velocity 7

Velocity 7 New Member

I'd like to see some faster, more efficient way of processing all the graphics, sprites, and stuff in VBA.

I wonder if Aldo's SpeedUp program will be of any use here...