Veterans (what remains of us at least) assemble!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by blueshogun96, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Samor

Samor Foundry

when it still was psxemu.com (I think that was from 2000(?) - april 2001) the forums were mostly German, actually. I joined as a "bleem! forum refugee" ;)
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  2. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Yeah, I was doing some experiments at that time and creating plugins as well as a PSX emulator attempt because I had all the time in the world to code. It was back in the psxemu.com days but I was a different person at that time and not really social online. I was inspired by the PSEmu Pro which was a really great project back in the days with a easy to use pluging interface. During my experiments the only lost I had was Tekken 3 which the drive I was experimenting with made that disc explode because I had a bug in my code but i managed to watch the intro movie completely fluid at full speed so at least I succeeded at something... fun times indeed :p
  3. Samor

Samor Foundry

I quite liked PSEmu Pro, when it was working it was better than Bleem!, but compatibility was lower. It also had more funny glitches, such as bouncing cars in Gran Turismo.
  4. @ruantec

Yeah, if I remember correctly the problem was in the CPU core that had a lot of bugs and Tratax wanted to write a newer version to fix those issues but I can't remember if he end up writing a new code. I tried to write mine using the MIPS R3000 specifications but it was extremely buggy but it worked for my purpose. Bleem! was awesome and I even ended up getting a copy myself for PC and the DC version too to play GT.
  5. Lewpy

Lewpy Emu author Emu Author

I think the issue was in the emulation of the GTE, but not 100% sure (my memory gets hazier every year!). Tratax had lots of ideas [he lost me with most of the dynarec stuff] and little time, hence why I think he was very happy to palm the Glide plugin on to me ;)
  6. laserjohn

laserjohn Aim 4 the stars...

This might a little off topic, but...
    I only recently (a few months ago, maybe) noticed that EmuXhaven was gone? What's the story behind it? I recall going to that site every other day 10 years ago to check for PCSX2 updates. They even had this weekly EmuXhaven wallpaper thing. They were all so cool. I had some saved. I think I left it in my hard drive back in my home town. Does anyone have any?
  7. @ruantec

I remember that place but never followed so I have no idea what happened.

Yeah, I now remember something related to GTE but just as you my memory gets hazier every year as well and can't remember all the details.
  8. @ruantec

Talking about stories here.... here is the story of my Emu-Selector project that is still available on that very old site of mine.

Back in the days ePSXe was getting stronger and better and configuration was a hassle to make games work properly. Pete made a great frontend(epsxecutor) to alleviate the use of it as well as configurations. I really liked that tool but the looks of it was terrible and way too simplistic for my taste and the use of the registry was something i really disliked. I thought to myself why not do it yourself if you are so picky and want something different? at that time I was a huge Winamp fan since finally someone was bringing a app with taste and was figuring out how they do skins and how I could implement my own skin support in apps. Toying around I found several methods but the fastest one was storing region values on a binary file that i can use to remove a certain color instead of scanning images over and over. Also during my tests I found out how to recognize PSX CDs by using the unique ID. That method sort of started a debate between me and BetaMax if my memory serves me well as he also had a frontend for ePSXe(Delta) and implemented a similar feature later on.

[​IMG]

Working in such a code I got interested into making the Emu-Selector a app that sort of got popular here. Aside from that project I was crazy for music players and while I loved Winamp I always wanted to create my own one that do just what I wanted and work the way I wanted. Over the years both projects progressed well and Emu-Selector sort of got some popularity here being one of the only apps being updated regulary by me since I had tons of free time to work on it. My music player also improved over the years but I never was interested in releasing it to the public.

[​IMG]

One day while testing a new code I made a mistake that lead me to a very weird gate and that's how the Emulator grabbing code was born. With that new functionality I wanted to do something new and fresh and something never done before and implement it in the Emu-Selector. Having less and less time to code and life getting harder for me I saw myself having less time to mantain 2 separated projects. After few months thinking what I want to do with my time and projects I melted both projects into one which later on was known as @ES my probably most beloved project to date.

Here the original thread for nostalgia:
    http://ngemu.com/threads/es-evolution-beta-6-released.108677/

It's really great to see how this thread has brought so much memories some of which I thought I completely forgot.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  9. Bubbafat

Bubbafat Mhm.

Hey guys, I remember when this thread was put up such a long time ago but I wasn't really a vet. Does 11 years make me one yet?
    Gladiator@ likes this.
  10. Kaiser Sigma

Kaiser Sigma ~ Lord of Darkness ~

No. Still a newfag~.
    Strike105X and Gladiator@ like this.
  11. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

oh looks its Kaiser
  12. Kaiser Sigma

Kaiser Sigma ~ Lord of Darkness ~

Indeed, it is I. Somebody prehistoric enough to remember the gems that came out of your mouth (or fingers really) back in the day such as "wtachi what u fucking so u bitch"~.
    Strike105X likes this.
  13. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Its kaiser hide your kids, hide your wifes, run for your lives!
  14. Samor

Samor Foundry

Hello Kaiser :)
    Kaiser Sigma likes this.
  15. DB7

DB7 Miserable Bugger

Since I recently bought a GPD XD for the express purpose of running emulators on the go, really for gaming during my dinner hour at work, I really should visit here more often.

Amazing to think it's been 14 years (in four days) since I signed up.
    Samor likes this.
  16. laserjohn

lol....
  17. Robert

Robert Not a new member

My first visit for 6 years... :p
    Gladiator@ likes this.
  18. laserjohn

Robert!!! Remember me??? I met you at 1Emulation! I think you were robbbert that time, right?
  19. Samor

Samor Foundry

Eh, 1emu? Maybe I know him too then :)
  20. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

Emu people always end up knowing each other. It's not as if we're in the thousands...