VGB-Android releases

Discussion in 'Emulation News Submissions' started by fms, Sep 17, 2012.

1. fms

fms Emu author Emu Author

Hello, All!

This week's VGB-Android 4.3.4 release is now up on Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fms.vgb

I have found that after you quit VGB, some threads may remain running and sucking resources. This release makes sure all threads are properly shut down on exit. It also adds Cheatopedia cheats for 11 popular games including Tomb Raider series, Turok series, Pocket Bomberman, and Top Gear Pocket.

ALL CHANGES:
    * Implemented proper shutdown of DropBox and BoxArt threads at exit.
    * Added 11 new games to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider: Curse Of The Sword to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Pocket Bomberman to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Tonka Raceway to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Yoshi to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Top Gear Pocket 1/2 to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Turok: Dinosaur Hunter to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Turok 2: Seeds Of Evil to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Turok 3: Shadow Of Oblivion to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Turok: Rage Wars to the Cheatopedia.

Have fun!
  2. fms

Hello, All!

Starting this week with the GameBoy Color/Classic emulator release. VGB-Android 4.3.5 is now available for download:

I have finally found and fixed the bug that left defunct Linux processes every time a new activity started. Thus, the new VGB should quit cleanly, without leaving stuff hanging in the system. While looking for this bug, I have also optimized the utility library to compute global values once, rather than every time you start a new activity (Settings, Cheatopedia, Exchange, etc). This made switching between activities much faster. Finally, I am now using a single copy of Google Analytics, and only starting it when needed. Ah, and there are cheats for seven more games, in case you care :)

ALL CHANGES:
    * Fixed defunct processes left by some activities.
    * Optimized game start times by only computing common values once.
    * Optimized switch times between Settings, Exchange, etc.
    * Only starting Google Analytics tracker once, when needed.
    * Removed AdMob library, as the app is not running any ads.
    * Added three Alien games to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Altered Space to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Amazing Penguin to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Attack of the Killer Tomatoes to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Alone in the Dark to the Cheatopedia.

Enjoy!
  3. lagunareturns

lagunareturns Active Member

Hi sorry to annoy you but you need to fix save states in your emulators... For instance VGB save states work but sometimes it gives a red screen when loading a save state and a reload of the same save state fixes that but it happens too often to the point where it gets really annoying plus the fact one instance loading a save state started a debugger and a restart of the emulator only fix that which wiped all the save states up to that moment so I lost 20 minutes of gameplay....

Also occurs with MasterGear emulator except save state buttons do not work properly with the Moga Pro Controller... Freeze state on the controller does nothing and restore state on the controller loads the initial state that was saved when quitting the game so pressing that button can undo hours of gameplay, thanks.... Also get freezes loading states time to time and require reload of save states...

Honestly I do not mind paying emulators when clearly you put great work and features in it but it is very hard to swallow to find it a buggy mess in terms of save states in two emulators so far. I mean how can it go so wrong when so many emulators freely available don't, even ones on PSP which is amazing to see such optimised emulators on it for free.

Please sort this issue out as I have bought VGB and MasterGear after buying, using and enjoying you GBA emulator.
  4. fms

I have never seen this happen over here. Could you tell me the following:

1) What Android device are you using? Does this problem happen on several different Android devices, or just one device?

2) What version of Android is your device running?

3) What game is the problem happening in? Does it happen in multiple games, or just one?

4) Are you using any cheats?

5) Could you send me a saved state file (*.sta) where this problem happens?

So, is your problem exclusive to using the Freeze/Restore buttons on the Moga controller, or does it happen without the Moga controller, when you simply start a game?

I can only fix problems that I can recreate here. So far, I have never seen the problem you are experiencing. It is possible that it is related to saving/loading state with the Moga controller. Please, answer above questions to help me recreate it here.
  5. lagunareturns

I will answer you questions and help get to the bottom of it. Please note that there may be a delay with my replies as I am quite busy and only weekends give me the most free time.

1) What Android device are you using? Does this problem happen on several different Android devices, or just one device?

I am using the Samsung Tab S 8.4", I have a Somy Xperia Z1 phone but did not have time to try and see if it makes a difference. When I do I will let you know.

2) What version of Android is your device running?

3) What game is the problem happening in? Does it happen in multiple games, or just one?

It happens with the US version of Wonderboy on MasterGear and Euro version of Shantae on VGB

4) Are you using any cheats?

Yes of course, one of the main reason I purchased you software except you got no cheats for Shantae so it is weird it also occurs on VGB without cheats and still somehow accessed VGB debug menu.

5) Could you send me a saved state file (*.sta) where this problem happens?

Well I could but a reload fixes the red screen issue and the debug menu which came up in VGB in one instance is a emulator debug menu, well it shows hexidecimal data and lets me change the data, it is not the one built in a game.

So, is your problem exclusive to using the Freeze/Restore buttons on the Moga controller, or does it happen without the Moga controller, when you simply start a game?

Well I was playing Mastergear first and I use MogaController and using the exclusive Freeze/Restore buttons and found the Freeze doesn't work at all and Restore restores the save state initially made when you quit the game and only that one despite making save states in Auto and the first slot so I ended up using the touch screen to do save states and use it allot.

Well for Wonderboy you need a controller to play as you need one button held down and the other pressed while it is held down which is hard to do on a touch screen and it is a hard game especially towards the end so I use save states allot like every 5-10 secs and some require multiple restore and when doing multiple restores I get red screen and restore again restores properly or restore works fine.

Still I get the red screen way too often and requiring to use the save state by touch screen is a pain when using a controller at the same time and one little mistake and press the restore button on the Moga controller and it loads the initial save state where it saved last time I played the game and quit and that means 30 minutes of gameplay is gone and that is a major turn off.

For VGB, it occurs just the same on Shantae, at least the Moga Controller exclusive buttons for Freeze/Restore work, and yes I use save states excessively, a bit more since I can use Moga controller Freeze/Restore and some restores give a red screen as well and requires a reload of the save state and one instance I got VGB debug menu come up and nothing I can do but change some numbers around and required to quit the emulator and restart to only find all the time I spent playing it about 30 min was all gone as the save states I have done disappeared.

All I ask is the test excessive Freeze and Restores and see if you can recreate it.
  6. fms

Please do: need to understand if it is a device-specific problem.

Ok, let me repeat my question: does red screen show up exclusivey when you use controller to save/restore state, or does it also show up when you are only saving/restoring state using the action bar button? It is an important question, as it lets me pinpoint where the problem occurs. The on-screen save/restore functionality is thoroughly tested, by controller save/restore buttons are less so, being a new feature and all.
  7. lagunareturns

With Mastergear I can not use the controller as the buttons do not work at all or not the way it supposed to, I had to use on screen save states but for VGB I can use the controller as the freeze/restore buttons work fine.

It can be the hardware as it occurs with two different emulators, still never had a problem with any other emulator except yours...

Anyways when I get time I will test them on Xperia Z1 phone and then I can confirm if it is hardware or not.

Also since I got you, can I also see if you can add filters like HQ2x, HQ4x, xBR, Sal and others to your emulators... Apologies for not naming them correctly as got no time to check, actually I am at work now.
  8. fms

Well, all emulators use different source code (unless there are multiple people ripping off the same code, like VBA), so this is not very surprising. But I do need to figure out a way to repeat this problem here, on my hardware.

2xSal is already there (use "Soften Video" option). I have been planning to add the rest for a while, but have not yet go to them.
  9. lagunareturns

Just like to mention that I have played VGB on the Xperia Z1 phone, ran the Shantae rom and had zero problems, I did not have the MOGA controller on me to confirm if it could be the controller but I will test that when I get the time to.

Also it is starting to look like it is a hardware issue as I notice it runs smoother and load state more quickly on the phone, sure we are talking about micro seconds here but it is noticeably faster, without pop or crackle with the sound when loading the save state. Still if the hardware issue is true, not surprising even though Samsung Tab S 8.4 should have faster cpu, more cores and more ram than my phone, I have noticed some slight performance issues with some games while others run so much faster.

Anyways I will test the two emulators on my phone with the controller and I will try again with the tablet, after restarting the tablet to see if I can recreate the issue again.
  10. fms

The Samsung Tab may have more screen pixels, increasing strain on the CPU (which usually is not using all those cores anyway, the cores are mainly a marketing trick). In this case, enabling Accelerated Video and setting "Draw 65% Frames" should improve performance.

Would still be interesting to see the adb logcat output from the Tab though, just in case there are any abnormalities there.
  11. fms

Hello, All!

I have published VGB-Android 4.3.6 today:

This release comes with fixes for a couple more games, corrected default settings initialization, and Cheatopedia entries for ten more games. I also continued cleaning things up, removing unused code, bitmaps, and other resources.

ALL CHANGES:
    * Fixed default settings initialization.
    * Fixed sprites and horizon in Harley Davidson Race Across America.
    * Fixed interrupts in Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball.
    * Removed unused and outdated code, resources and bitmaps.
    * Added four Mortal Kombat games to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added two Motocross Maniacs games to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Mystical Ninja to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Primal Rage to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Mystic Quest to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Power Quest to the Cheatopedia.

Enjoy!
  12. fms

Hello, All!

Just released VGB-Android 4.4:

Starting with this release, you can search for your own GameShark cheat codes in games, using the new Cheat Hunter feature, and instantly get infinite lives, credits, or ammo in any game. See the change list below for short instructions.

ALL CHANGES:
    * Added a tool that lets you hunt for new GameShark cheats.
    * Select "Cheats | Cheat Hunter | Add Watch" and enter the value
    to search for (credits, lives, etc), how it changes, and the
    new value (like 99).
    * Play a little bit, until the value changes.
    * Select "Cheats | Cheat Hunter | Scan for Changes" to let Cheat
    Hunter find changed memory locations.
    * Repeat last two steps a few times.
    * Select "Cheats | Cheat Hunter | Create Cheats" to generate and
    enable GameShark cheat codes.
    * To edit cheats, use "Cheats | Edit Cheats".

Have fun!
  13. fms

Hello, All!

The next VGB-Android 4.4.1 update is available from the Google Play:

This update fixes the sprite priorities when shown over a window. As result, the visual glitches are gone from Tetris Blast, Boxing, and George Foreman's Boxing. I have also removed the garbage from Super GameBoy screen frames and made line-coincidence interrupt happen immediately, if the program sets LYC register to the current scanline.

Several people asked to make the GameBoy Model setting permanent, so that they could force VGB into GameBoy Classic or GameBoy Color mode. That setting is permanent now. If you mess it up, just set it back to "Automatic" to restore the original behavior.

ALL CHANGES:
    * Fixed sprites-over-window display to avoid hiding sprites.
    * Fixed corrupted Super GameBoy backdrop on startup.
    * Made LYC IRQ happen instantly when LYC set to the current scanline.
    * Made GameBoy model setting persistent. No need to set it every time.
    * Set model back to "Automatic" if you are having problems.
    * Fixed invisible pieces in Tetris Blast.
    * Fixed boxer's face in the Boxing intro sequence.
    * Fixed opponent's image in George Foreman's Boxing.

Enjoy!
  14. fms

Hello, All!

Today's VGB-Android 4.4.2 release addresses complaints about the sound emulation being "off". I have reviewed and properly implemented the noise channel emulation, accounting for most complaints:

I have also fixed saving and restoring Super GameBoy palette and attribute table, so that SGB games no longer start up with scrambled colors. People, who asked to have a custom background for each game, also got their wish in this release. See the complete list of changes below.

ALL CHANGES:
    * Added proper noise channel emulation.
    * Fixed saving and restoring SGB colors.
    * Added configurable noise generator API to EMULib.
    * No longer muffling noise channel (no more need).
    * Added individual backdrops. For Game.gb, place backdrop into Game.gb.back.png.
    * Aligned backdrop to the bottom on stretched screens.
    * Added explanation bubbles to the Cheat Hunter.
    * Fixed default settings initialization.
    * Added missing string translations.

Have fun!
  15. fms

Hello, All!

VGB-Android 4.4.3, the new version of my GameBoy Color and GameBoy Classic emulator, is now online and ready for download:

Continuing with sound improvements, I have made a few final adjustments to the noise generator emulation. The jingling effect should be gone, and the noise frequency range extended. The francophones will be happy to find that VGB now speaks French, thanks to Sylvain St Amand's help. Finally, for Kitkat+ users, I have added the immersive mode support, completely hiding Android UI during gameplay. Look below for the complete change list.

ALL CHANGES:
    * Added French translations, thanks to Sylvain St Amand.
    * Fixed random noise generator (jingle gone).
    * Fixed saving and restoring sound chip state.
    * Limited noise frequency to the sampling rate.
    * Removed all other artificial frequency limits.
    * Added immersive mode support for KitKat and newer.
    * Autohiding title bar when "Hide Title Bar" enabled.
    * You must start or finish your fling at the top to toggle title bar.

Enjoy!
  16. fms

Hello, All!

I have just published VGB 4.4.4, the next version of my GameBoy Color, GameBoy Classic, and Super GameBoy emulator:

This release fixes the search feature in the File Selector to properly find all storage folders and makes immersive mode UI transparent. People, who like listening to music while playing, will like the separate settings for Android media keys letting you choose between using these keys in VGB or the music player.

ALL CHANGES:
    * Fixed the File Selector Search to properly find storage.
    * Made system UI translucent when immersive mode is on.
    * Built package with the latest Android SDK.
    * Added "Use PLAY/RECORD Media Keys" option.
    * When enabled, RECORD saves, PLAY restores gameplay.
    * Added "Use FFWD/REWIND Media Keys" option.
    * When enabled, FFWD fast-forwards, REWIND replays.
    * Added Blade to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Cannon Fodder to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Carmageddon to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Crystalis to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Crystal Quest to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Mole Mania to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Monopoly DX to the Cheatopedia.

Have fun!
  17. fms

Hello, Everyone!

I've published VGB-Android 4.5 today. This release should make happy Samsung Galaxy device owners, as well as everyone with a high-resolution screen. VGB now works in the mini-window mode and may also share the screen with other apps on Samsung devices. I have also added optimized assembly routines for scaling GameBoy screen to 800x720, 960x864, and 1280x1152 resolutions, in case you do not like the OpenGLES hardware acceleration. Finally, the File Selector Search feature now lets you search by name, instead of returning all GameBoy files it finds.

On the bug fighting front, I have fixed the automatic frame skip, accelerated video and audio not being enabled when you install the app. The jitter problem with both auto frame skip and accelerated video enabled is also gone.

ALL CHANGES:
    * Added CPU routines for scaling GameBoy screen to 800x720+ pixels.
    * Added split-screen and popup window for Samsung Galaxy devices.
    * Added keyword searching to the File Selector Search.
    * Fixed auto frame skip when OpenGLES video enabled.
    * Fixed reenabling UI with a fling on Kitkat+ phones.
    * Reenabled automatic frame skip by default.
    * Reenabled accelerated video and audio by default.
    * Flinging from the top or the bottom toggles the UI.
    * Removed deprecated code, settings, and resources.

Enjoy!
  18. fms

Hello, All!

I have just released VGB 4.5 for Windows and Linux. To give you all something to do for the holidays, VGB-Windows is now free for everyone to use and share:

http://fms.komkon.org/VGB/

The new release adds dozens of new features and fixes accumulated since VGB 3.5 has been published several years ago. VGB 4.5 emulates GameBoy Light, GameShark, the tilt sensor, MBC7, TAMA05, and MMM01 memory mappers. There have been major fixes to GameBoy CPU and LCD controller emulation. The noise sound channel is much closer to the original in this version. I have also added support for translation patches (.IPS), custom palettes (.PAL), Instant Replay (F8), and a semi-automatic Cheat Hunter tool (F5) to search for new cheat codes. See the complete change list below.

ALL CHANGES:
    * Added GameBoy Light emulation.
    * Added TAMA5 mapper emulation (Tamagotchi 3).
    * Added MMM01 mapper emulation (Taito Variety Pack and Momotaro Collection 2).
    * Added MBC7 mapper emulation (Kirby's Tilt'n'Tumble).
    * Added optional DI+HALT CPU bug emulation.
    * Added proper noise channel emulation.
    * Added 93cXX serial EEPROM emulation.
    * Added tilt sensor emulation.
    * Added support for .IPS files. For "mygame.gb", use "mygame.ips".
    * Added support for .PAL files. For "mygame.gb", use "mygame.pal".
    * Added "instant replay" feature letting you go back in time ([F8]).
    * Added tool that lets you hunt for new GameShark cheats ([F5]).
    * Added "vertical scanlines" emulation, as found in old LCDs.
    * Added "raster effect" emulation, as found in newer LCDs.
    * No longer compressing .SAV files, to avoid confusing the users.
    * Made LYC IRQ happen instantly when LYC set to the current scanline.
    * Made LCD controller reset scanline when it is reenabled.
    * Now enabling LCD controller on startup (Aerostar, Alfred Chicken, etc).
    * Now disabling IRQs on startup (Robocop 2, Shadowgate, etc).
    * Now checking IRQs when ISWITCH/IFLAGS modified (Final Fantasy Legend).
    * Now "ticking" RTC while not playing (time progress in Pokemon, etc).
    * Now clearing scratch RAM after reset.
    * Now locking out opposite arrow keys.
    * Now resetting DIVREG on writes.
    * Fixed IRQ priorities, with VBlank IRQ getting top priority.
    * Fixed sprites-over-window display to avoid hiding sprites.
    * Fixed corrupted Super GameBoy backdrop on startup.
    * Fixed saving and restoring sound chip state.
    * Fixed saving and restoring SGB colors.
    * Fixed "JR offset" and "JR Z,offset" instruction timings.
    * Fixed exit from HALT instruction.
  19. fms

Hello, All!

It is the last day of the year, and the last VGB-Android release of this year. Those of you, who are meeting the new year alone, in front of TV, now have a healthier alternative to getting yourself drunk. The rest may just follow the link to give kids something to do:

The new VGB-Android 4.5.1 addresses several user requests. It adds GameBoy Light emulation, an option to always show box art rather than screenshots, and removes unused virtual buttons from the top of the screen. I have also fixed a few nasty bugs. If you had VGB randomly lock up, this problem should now be gone. Also gone is the problem with unresponsive controls when running VGB in the split-screen mode. See below for the other changes.

ALL CHANGES:
    * Free VGB for Windows can be found at http://fms.komkon.org/VGB/
    * Added GameBoy Light emulation.
    * Added "Show Box Art First" option to the File Selector.
    * Removed unused FIREL/FIRER virtual buttons, by public request.
    * Fixed running VGB in the lower half of split-screen.
    * Fixed OpenGLES lockups on Mali GPUs (Samsung, RK, etc).
    * Fixed flickering border when simulating scanlines on x86 devices.
    * Made screenshots and box art display bigger on large screens.
    * Hiding the title bar is now the default behavior.
    * Fixed premature hiding of the title bar.

Happy New Year!
  20. fms

Just published VGB-Android 4.5.2, extending Cheatopedia with a bunch of new games:

See below for the complete list.

ALL CHANGES:
    * Added Beavis and Butthead to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Breakthru to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Bubsy 2 to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Castelian to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Chase HQ to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Chicken Run to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Commander Keen to the Cheatopedia.
    * Added Dark Wing Duck to the Cheatopedia.

Enjoy!