VisualBoy Advance for Linux Q's

Discussion in 'Visualboy Advance Discussion' started by tenghoward, Oct 25, 2006.

1. tenghoward

tenghoward New Member

Hi, this is the first time I posting so maybe I asked a stupid question.

I have been using Ubuntu recently, and I compile VBA 1.7.2 into GTK version. When I play a game, the speed is way to fast. I cannot get the right speed and the sound is terrible. Before I use Linux I use VBA 1.8 Beta in Windows and there was no problem on this. Is their a way to fix this?

P.S. The VBA for Linux was great, but missing the Cheat function. Hope that you can implement this in the later version on VBA for Linux.

Howard T.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. KingFish

KingFish New Member

Hi.
    First of all, from my experience the GTK version is choppy. I hardly advice you to use the command line version. It can be as easily configured through the command line or config file (~/.vba/VisualBoyAdvance.cfg).
    For the choppy or out of sync sound issues: SDL might have problems with ALSA. Try to force SDL to use the OSS backend (which will be routed to ALSA anyway). To do this use "export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=oss" before you start the command line vba.
    For me this fixed all problems and the emulator runs at great speed.
    Hope I could help.
  4. tenghoward

tenghoward New Member

Hi, I will try the SDL version. Can you tell me where VisualBoyAdvance.cfg is at?

Howard T.
  5. KingFish

KingFish New Member

Hi again.
    Hmm, for me vba created the file. Anyway, attached mine. Simply copy it to ~/.vba/ and vba should read it automatically. Be aware I changed the button config to use my gamepad. You need to fix the file for you then.

For someone else: Has someone been able to compile the latest source of vba (1.8.0 beta 3 or recent CVS)? For me I get errors with nasm.
  6. KingFish

KingFish New Member

Nevermind, I got the recent CVS to compile. :D

@tenghoward: Seems I used a patched version of VBA. The stock version does look for VisualBoyAdvance.cfg only in the current directory, in ~, and in /etc (or /usr/local/etc, if you compiled and installed by hand).