Weird way to increase FPS in Dolphin x64

Discussion in 'Dolphin Discussion' started by Xtreme2damax, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Mr. Technological Staff Member Moderator

I posted this at Emutalk but it hasn't generated any responses except one. This was tested on Windows XP x64 SP2 with Dolphin 64 Beta 3 and Windows Media Player 11 x64.

My specs are an AMD64 X 2 3800+ @ 2.0 Ghz Processor, 1024 MB of ram, Geforce 6150LE.

I can not guarantee this will work on your system but if it does and you can reproduce it successfully congrats on increasing you FPS in Dolphin.

I'm not sure if this works in any other version of Dolphin such as the 32-bit version or Beta 2 of Dolphin x64. I am also not sure if this works with any other version of Windows Media Player other than WMP 11 x64. This does not appear to work on other intensive emulators such as PCSX2 as I tested it and it didn't garner any increase in speed. Most other emulators are not worth testing this with as they already run most games full speed.

Read Below (Post from Emutalk):

I am using Dolphin Beta 3 x64 on XP SP2 x64 with an athlon64 X 2 3800+ @ 2.0 Ghz, Geforce 6150LE, 1024 MB of ram.

The issue or alleged tweak is weird in it self, on Sonic Adventure 2 Battle I was usually getting about 20 - 25 FPS on some levels and never above that, with it dipping below sometimes.

I found running Windows Media Player 11 running in the background gives a significant boost in speed.

After having WMP running and starting SA2: Battle in Dolphin my FPS increased by nearly 10 - 15 and even 20 FPS in SA2:Battle on Dolphin.

On most levels such as the Green forest level I was now getting between 30 - 45 FPS as compared to 20 - 25 before with it never dipping below 28.

Some levels were exceptionally fast now, however some levels were still fairly slow such as Pumpkin Hill and one or two/few others.

I kept thinking to myself that this was fairly weird.

This worked for other games as well, in Zelda: Windwaker it yielded about a 5 - 10 FPS increase, in Mario Sunshine about a 5 FPS increase.

Thread at Emutalk:

Weird FPS increase issue. - EmuTalk.net

I have uploaded an attachment of the speed I was getting in the Green Forest level of Sonic Adventure 2. Most levels appeared to run full speed or near full speed but FPS never dipped below 28 on these levels.

Some levels were still a bit slow such as Pumpkin Hill and about a few others for me as mentioned above.

Mind you I am not lying so if anyone can reproduce this let me know. You also need to leave Windows Media Player 11 x64 up in the background running while you play a game on Dolphin, however you don't need to play anything in WMP itself.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Artemix

Artemix New Member

Anyone tryed this?
  4. Xtreme2damax

It seems no one except for me, but I can confirm this does work at least for me.

I was getting about 10 - 12 less FPS without this trick, after starting WMP 11 x64 my FPS increased by at least 10 - 15 in the Green Forest level and other levels in SA2: Battle.

It provides a good speed boost on my otherwise slow system at least compared to a Core2Duo system.

If anyone else can test this with Dolphin x64 and WMP x64 please post results in this thread.

I'm not sure if it works with other versions of Dolphin such as the 32 bit version or other versions of WMP such as WMP x86, WMP 10, 9 etc....
  5. diablo2121

diablo2121 New Member

I only have Skies of Arcadia: Legends to test, but having WMP x64 up did not have an impact on the speed at all.
  6. Xtreme2damax

Well sadly I have no way to confirm this unless someone can successfully reproduce this.

Running WMP x64 in the background seems to speed up some games for me.

I'll post screenshots later comparing running without WMP x64 in the background and running it in the background while using Dolphin x64.

I easily get anywhere between a 5 - 10 FPS increase by doing this in some games which I can't figure out why.

What are you're specs, maybe they are already good enough to run games at a decent speed so you might not benefit from this.

I however assure you I'm not lying since I'm not one to lie and have a great reputation on these forums.;)
  7. diablo2121

diablo2121 New Member

I'm not accusing you or anything; I was hoping it'd actually benefit SoAL so I could finally play it.

Anyway, I'm running a Q6600 @ 2.4 gHz stock, 2 x 2 gB DDR2 (4-4-4-12-2T), 8800GTS 640 mB on Vista Ultimate x64.
  8. .hacker

.hacker New Member

this is amazing. I use a 64 bit OS and tried this, its insane but it works... if it is ok, can some one help explain why this works?
  9. partypooper

partypooper New Member

I have Exact same Cpu ,but only have vista x64 and XP 32, i mite try get my hands on xp 64 and try

Specs

3800x2 2ghz ,2gb ddr400,GTS 250 512mb

Only game i can really play is REmake really , zero runs like crap, Zelda TP and WW are slow in village :(

Id like to get some more FPS till i get my e7500....
  10. Xtreme2damax

This only worked for me on XP x64 with the mentioned specifications, and worked on the old 1.03.2 x64 Beta 3 build.

I remember the same trick did not work with the newer svn builds when I had my old PC. It does not work for me at all in the newer svn build, however since I originally posted this thread the following has changed:

Now using the latest revision of the newer svn builds, was using 1.03.2 x64 Beta 3 at the time I posted this thread.

I built a new PC with a Core2duo E8500, 4 GB of ram, and a Gefore 9800 GT.

Moved from XP x64 to Vista x64 as my primary operating system.
  11. MisterMr

MisterMr Locked and Loaded.

I think it has to do with the way WMP processes basic Windows tasks after being opened.
  12. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Its caused by 1 of 2 things.

1. Cool n quiet is enabled. disable it.
    2. The Dual core optimiser is not insalled. Install it (yes, contrary to popular retard belief, the optimiser is required on Vista.)
  13. partypooper

partypooper New Member

yep my freinds turon x2 laptop couldnt even run project 64 unitll i installed dual core optimiser and he use vista
  14. Goukii

Goukii New Member

retards..

dont install the dual core optimizer on vista, it was coded for XP and vista is multi core designed from the scratch

if anything it will make your system run worse or it might even kill it if you are unlucky
  15. tufask

tufask New Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  16. Squall-Leonhart

AMD K8 doesn't use the same timing as intel chips, and REQUIRES the optimiser, even on Vista and Windows 7.

There are multiple posts on the internet showcasing that it improves K8 performance on Vista, and it does the same on Windows 7.

Now, the pair of you, take your nooblet asses and go jump into a firepit.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/10803-amd-dual-core-optimizer-updated-for-vista-7-/

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  17. Squall-Leonhart

18. sl1nk3

sl1nk3 New Member

There's a logical explanation to that :p

For some reasons, running windows media player unlocks some kind of windows timer to 512Hz instead of the default 60Hz, i'm not sure why or even what it really does, but i remember this is needed on Source engine servers running on windows, to get more than 60hz tickrate...
  19. Squall-Leonhart

sounds interesting.
  20. Nintendo Maniac

Nintendo Maniac Member

I remember reading that doing this for World of Warcraft helped speed up load times quite a bit.

EDIT: Yup, here's an article about it: Media Player boosts WoW performance

We really need to get a bunch of geeks together and figure out what's up with this, maybe it can speed up other things as well (who knows, maybe even Crysis XD)
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  21. Sonic2036

Sonic2036 New Member

Xtremedamax , I get a speed up too but only when I run Fraps (a Screen Recorder) and the games speed just gets a boost , works on versions under 3400 but without the recording , the game is Kinda slow with a bad sound. if that doesn't work , Enable Graphic hack for Ram in dolphin OGL Options.