What Car Should I Buy For Under $25,000.00. Please Help Me Decide!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SkyeHack, Nov 26, 2004.

?

What Car Should I Buy For Under $25,000.00. Vote Here! :)

1. 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2005 Mazda3 s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2005 Acura RSX Type-S

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SkyeHack

SkyeHack Cpl in U.S. Marine Corps

*UPDATE #2* Removed all coupes (2005 Scion tC & 2005 Acura RSX Type-S) and 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI due to reports on bad reliability. I retract my statement on hating American cars as I found Dodge's 2005 Neon SRT-4.

*UPDATE #1* Removed 2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX & replaced it with a 2005 Scion tC.

*****Can a mod please edit my poll choices as I have change the cars. Thanks in advance!*****

I have narrowed it down to 2 cars. I like Sport Compact Cars that are Import s or Domestic sedans and are under $25,000.00. *DELETED* I hate American cars even though I am American. *DELETED* I picked these two cars because of their insurance rates, gas mileage, True Cost to Own, being able to add options and not going over my buget, reliability, etc. I did my research at Edmunds.com and I am quite knowledgeable about cars but I have never bought one before. I will be deploying to Iraq in September of 2005 on a MEU and as a Lance Corporal I should come back from my seven month float with about $12,000.00. I built the cars with all the options from the manufactor that I liked. Check out the cars and vote and post your comments and/or suggestions! Thanks in advance! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NOTICE : I live in America! :)

Listed By Highest Price To Lowest Price.

2005 Mazda3 s

Price: $23,700.00
    Horsepower: 160 hp 2.3L DOHC 4 Cylinder
    Torque: 150 lb-ft
    Redline: 6500 RPM
    Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic FWD
    Top speed : 118 mph (electronically limited)
    0-60 mph : 7.5 sec.(manual), 8.0 sec.(auto)
    0-¼ mile : 15.7 sec @ 89.0 mph (manual)
    60-0 braking distance : 125 ft
    200 ft skidpad : 0.86 g
    Wheels: 17-inch Alloy
    Gas Mileage: 24mpg City/29mpg Highway
    True Cost to Own (5 Years): N/A
    Edmunds Editor's Rating: 8.4
    Edmunds Consumer's Rating: 9.3

Exterior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine
    [​IMG]

Other
    [​IMG]

2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4

Price: $22,740.00
    Horsepower: 230 hp 2.4L DOHC 4 Cylinder
    Torque: 250 lb-ft
    Redline: 5100 RPM
    Transmission: 5-Speed Manual FWD
    Top speed : 153 mph
    0-60 mph : 5.6 sec.
    0-¼ mile : 14.2 sec @ 102.0 mph
    60-0 braking distance : 120 ft
    200 ft skidpad : 0.85 g
    Wheels: 17 inch Aluminum
    Gas Mileage: 22mpg City/30mpg Highway
    True Cost to Own (5 Years): N/A
    Edmunds Editor's Rating: 7.5
    Edmunds Consumer's Rating: 8.9

Exterior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine
    [​IMG]

Other
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. RF

RF <font color="#B3B3B3"><b>Canadian Spaceman</b></fo

the first sounds the best based on the review at the bottom, but the mazda looks the sharpest :)
  4. Kurbster

Kurbster Administrator Staff Member

Mazda for me 2 :)
  5. hnayoung

hnayoung Surfer Dude

I would go with the Acura RSX from the four you have listed there. And if you like sporty cars the Civic is out of the question, and to me sporty cars shouldn't have four doors. The only four door sports car that is any good is the M5.

Oh and in case you are interested here's my picks in order:
    1. Acura RSX
    2. Mazda 3
    3. Honda Civic
    4. VW Jetta
  6. SkyeHack

What do you guys think about the new 2005 Scion tC? I decide to take out the 2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX and replace it with a sportier car. Can I mod please change the poll options please! Thanks in advance! :)
  7. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Touka <3 Staff Member

Acura all the way
  8. om3gablue

om3gablue Taken...

I'd go with the Acura also. They're a blast to drive, rev forever! Why'd you pick the Jetta instead of the GTi/Golf? The handling is much better in the Gti/Golf compared to the Jetta. And the fact it weighs less also make it feel like it has more power. Not to mention even better gas mileage and it's more stylish.

The Scion line I kinda compare to the Saturn line. No need to elaborate.
    Mazda did better with the Mazda 6 and the RX-8. They gave me a 2004 Mazda 6 for a loaner when my Golf was in the shop. Everything is great about that car 'cept for that crappy semi-automatic. Even though that car is kinda huge, the handling will surprise you. I know that's out of the price range you gave, but it's something to think about.
  9. N1ghtw0lf

N1ghtw0lf Crasher of Castles

Why Don't you buy a $15,000 car and Give $10,000 to your good buddy N1ghtw0lf ;). But i don't really know much about cars, aside from $25,000 being an amount of money i would never spend on a car :p
  10. SkyeHack

I looked at the 2005 Volkswagen Golf/GTI and it didn't appeal to me that much. Maybe the R32 but that's over 30Gs. Maybe if they come out with a new look and more interior room then maybe I would reconsider.

And your comment about Scion and comparing it to the Saturn line damn. I didn't know it was that bad. I thought Scion was suppose to be a great quality car at a bargain price and has many options that ricers would enjoy. Damn.....
  11. hnayoung

hnayoung Surfer Dude

The Scion Tc is okay still not better than the Acura, but if you did want to get the Scion you better get the optional turbocharger, otherwise I don't think it's really worth the money.
  12. naisatoh

naisatoh the HOT asian

from first hand experience... i love my rsx!!

rsx all the way baby...
  13. hushypushy

hushypushy <font color=#FFFFFF><b>the only one you've ever SE Contributors

definitely the VW, they are safe and sturdy cars, the GLI is pretty quick as well.

of course, for such a price you could consider MY personal next car, the Volvo S40. i'll probably be getting it for HS graduation in a few months, check out www.allnews40.com . i drove it for a few days (my mom got it from the dealership on a borrow thing), even the base model (i.e. no options except for auto trans) is very quiet, quick, and fun to drive. it's a tiny car, like 2 feet shorter than my Accord, and there's a turbo 4wd one with 268hp, i guarantee with the 6 speed manual that thing is a rocket ;)
  14. om3gablue

om3gablue Taken...

I'm not saying that Scion is bad, it's just that their line is aimed at the cost-wise consumer. Like Saturn. Just think of a Saturn with mods done to the interior and engine. That's kinda what you get. Reliabilty is undetermined because it's virtually a new company governed buy their parent company. You don't know where they cut money to make the cars cheaper.

The Volkwagen car of choice is the Golf 1.8T. R32 is overated. All the VW meets I go to say the 1.8T get the most bang for the buck. Highly modifiable, just adding a new chip wakes the engine up so much, you'd think it's another car.

The only and best way you'll know what you really want is to test drive each car. And don't do that crappy dealership "drive around the block" test drive. You're about to drop some serious money and they want it, take that thing out and have fun with it!
  15. SkyeHack

Maybe I should wait because the Volkswagen Jetta and Acura RSX are coming out with all new models for 2006 and Mazda's 3 is coming out with a Mazdaspeed version in 2005. Plus this is the first year for Scion's tC so I should wait for next year's model so they can work all the quirks and bugs out.

[​IMG]

No Spy Shots Available

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Samor Guest

right now I'm starting to realize I just really, really like mazda's.....
  17. om3gablue

om3gablue Taken...

"forthcoming MX-5 and RX-7" My dreams are coming true! I didn't even realize it's getting that close. If I start saving now, I might be able to drop a nice down-payment on it within 3 years.

Dude, scratch all those other cars, wait for the 7. Find a cheap beater car (that's where Honda comes in) and just wait. If they don't follow the same design flaws as the 3rd gen RX-7s, it'll do fine. Dynos have proven that a slightly bigger, single turbo setup put less strain on the cooling system netting more miles on the engine. Rotary powered baby. That with 50/50 weight distribution and pretty light chassis will give you the best power to weight ratio. Now I gotta hit the Mazda forums and see what's going on...

:edit Here's the New Jetta V
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  18. hushypushy

hushypushy <font color=#FFFFFF><b>the only one you've ever SE Contributors

wow that second picture looks exceedingly ugly
  19. SkyeHack

WTF? I thought the RX-8 replaced the RX-7. Are they bringing the RX-7 back or something? Do you have any links man? The only information I have is:

And

Damn!! 22,000 Euro = 29,253.4 US Dollars!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :cry:
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  20. om3gablue

om3gablue Taken...

Not much, just that it's coming. I can only image what this thing looks like. 2 months ago when I looking for a car I found a '95 RX-7. But it was sold less than 5 hours before I arrived. Damn that thing was beautiful, they had just finished detailing it when I pulled in. That's what I get for sleeping in...

We'll probably start hearing more about it around spring time. A new horsepower war is in the making.

Chrome is the magic ugly maker. I will never understand why people insist on putting chrome on everything. Motorcycles, yes. Rims, yes. Door moulding, hell no. I find nothing exotic about chrome grills and mouldings. Just my opinion.
  21. SkyeHack

Another guy at another forums said

You know, he's right. I'm going to start looking for sedans now and not coupes. I'll get a coupe when it's only a two seater sports car and extremely fast over 300hp. I'm going to update the cars now and retract my statement of hating American cars! I found Dodge's 2005 Neon SRT-4 and it looks very good. What do you guys think? Check out the first post as I have updated the cars, pictures and added more specs. :)