What is the Best DVD transcoder out there?

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by MrTeressaBond, Apr 9, 2006.

1. MrTeressaBond

MrTeressaBond Banned

What is the Best DVD transcoder out there?

i mean really really good!

i have a double layer film i want to squeeze on to 4.5GB disc, but i want the quality to be on par 1:1! (or almost like that).

i have tried out DVD Shrink, and its good, but im still not satisfied.

i have tried CloneDVD, and uses the same thing on compression.

anyone?

i wish there was a way to reencode a whole DVD with DivX and back again to DVD, where the quality will look exact.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. masque

masque New Member

I've never had any quality problems with DVD shrink. If you're not interested in a perfect copy, get rid of the extra audio tracks, and set bonus features and menus to maximum compression.

What are you watching these movies on that you're noticing the quality decrease? If it's that bad for you, go buy a DivX decoder DVD player, make super-mega-ultra high quality DivX files, burn them to DVD's, and play from that.
  4. CD

CD Gunslinger

If you want the best quality you need to use a method that uses CCE, however they are not for novices and most require use of Scenarist.

If you want the best quality from a one-click, get Nero Recode, as it is basically a further-developed version of DVD Shrink (Ahead hired the author of DVD Shrink a while ago).

If you're interested at all in any type of encoding I suggest you check out doom9.org
  5. MrTeressaBond

MrTeressaBond Banned

woah!

they actually hired the author of DVD Shrink for Nero???

how did u know that?
  6. CD

CD Gunslinger

The wonders of the internet.
  7. MrTeressaBond

MrTeressaBond Banned

8. MrTeressaBond

MrTeressaBond Banned

anyways, DVD Shrink hasnt been updated for a long time.

so probably there must be a better DVD Transcoder, and i must say, DVD Shrink does a good job wen transcoding, even though you put it to Perform Deep Analysis. and the quality is nicely balanced throughout all its features.

is there something like this that has similar features or the way it does a good job wen transcoding a DVD? as i said, it has been a while since its last released, and technology has improved since then, so i assume that there has to be something better out there.

anyone?
  9. PHPCandy

PHPCandy Banned

Half the problem is if you rencode an mpeg or apply an extra compression to an mpeg, no mater what your using you lose quality. Its like trying to hit a car with a hammer and then show someone how good you can take the dent out. It aint ever gonna be the same again. If you make an iso of the dvd and then burn the iso back to dvd using something like clone dvd, typically you wont lose anything.

But yes if you use dvd shrink or anything that converts it to a recompressed mpeg, no matter what you lose some quality. I used CloneDVD to copy a DVD9 to a standard 4.7 gig DVD5 and while i can tell the difference most people watching it cant because its still better then VHS. The nature of lossy compression is just that when u recompress or compress to begin with you lose quality. Take a Jpeg make it to a bitmap and then resave it as a jpeg i dont care what ur using you lose some quality its just how much is the concern.

The act of recording a movie with a DV cam (or anything that doesnt use compression) and then burning it to a dvd disc (mpeg 2 compression) Loses quality.
  10. D.D.

D.D. band

i have used dvd shrink to backup our lord of the rings trilogy, pirates of the caribbean and a few random japanese dvds before and found that the quality to be quite good even on our 52" DLP. i haven't done any side by side comparisons or even tried hard to compare the quality but i think it is acceptable (probably since DVD itself does not look superb on a 52" in the first place)
  11. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Touka <3 Staff Member

I never knew that O.O