What is the best file type for ripped games for use with ePSXe?

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by JNolan93, Dec 13, 2016.

1. JNolan93

JNolan93 New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to PS1 emulation. I'm sorry if this has been discussed in the past, but I was wondering which file type is best when using the games for emulation purposes only (not making back up disc)

I first made an .img file of a couple of my games, they seemed to work fine, then I read that .bin/.cue files were the best so I deleted my .img file and ripped the games again as .bin/.cue files. Again they worked fine.

I guess I'm pretty OCD about this, I would like the best way to have back ups of my games to use with ePSXe.

Thank you everyone.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. drakonolus

drakonolus Member

Hi you there. The best format for the Playstation games is the CLONE CD Format.

IMG / CUE / SUB / CCD

The Bin/Cue is the second best. But if you want a perfect Ripping from your originals. Use Clone CD. And the most important thing; do not delete the CUE files, those ARE VERY IMPORTANT. Specially for the CDDA Reading files.

Believe me. Some PSX games wont hold very well because of the BIN/CUE second option. I always recommend on Ripping the games along with Clone CD. Because of that.

And finally.
    Do not use another kind of formats such; MDS / MDF, ISO, NRG. Refuse them like a PLAGUE !!!!! they are very bad for the Playstation games.

I got a lot of years and experience on emulating the Playstation. I know what i'm saying.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  4. JNolan93

JNolan93 New Member

Hello, thank you so much for that information. I've heard different things about what the preferred format is. Glad that you cleared that up, really appreciate that!